The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 13, 2006, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

Illegal kick or USC?

Someone mentioned a ruling that happened in their playoff game on Friday and asked me about it. Here's the play...

Team K punts the ball. As the ball is **nearly at rest the kicking team kicks the ball out of bounds. The crew gave R the ball and administered a unsportsmanlike foul and gave R the ball 15 yards in advance of the succeeding spot.

There's rules support for calling this USC 9-5-1e (Kicking at the ball, other than during a legal kick).

But there's also sules support 9-7-1 "No player shall intentiaonlly kick the ball other than as a free or scrimmage kick."

When I spoke with this person I told him I would have gone back 15 yards from the previous (assuming R didn't want first touching) and replayed the down as it was an illegal kick during loose-ball play. I explained it was still the kick (a noun) and a kick is a kick until the kick ends.

I would think if the ball was totally at rest and determined dead is when you would go the USC route. Would you guys agree?

First, I believe he said "nearly" at rest. But, let's say it had rolled to a stop in this case and the official hadn't yet sounded his whistle.

Last edited by ljudge; Mon Nov 13, 2006 at 12:24pm.
Old Mon Nov 13, 2006, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

"Nearly" at rest is not at rest so the ball is still live. This is still a kick and thus an illegal kick. I would save USC for kicking a dead ball.
Old Mon Nov 13, 2006, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

REPLY: ljudge...I've always believed (and a friend has confirmed) that NF 9-5-1e prohibits kicking at the ball, i.e. "swinging and missing." This is a USC foul. Actually kicking a live ball is governed by 9-7-1. I spoke with my friend about your situation. You shouldn't have two different penalties for the same foul. That's why we believe that kicking at the ball implies that he misses it. We sort of agreed that if he kicked the ball before it comes to rest that it is a live ball foul and enforcement would be from the previous spot. If he kicked it after it came to rest, then the ball becomes dead the moment his foot touches it. But what about the kick? If he just taps it with his foot and displaces it a few feet, best to just leave it alone. If he kicks it some distance and you have to go retrieve, maybe a DOG. If he kicks it hard in anger, then a DBF for USC is probably warranted. What do you think?
Old Mon Nov 13, 2006, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

Great points by the two of you. I told my friend I believe a USC was not the correct call. Of course that's what the crew went with and he disagreed with me and agreed with the crew. Of course his team was R and they wanted the ball 15 yards from the succeeding spot.

Bob - I only worked a semi but it was parochial (assigned locally). When do you find out if the state gives you a semi? It's my understanding it's out of our assignor's hands and those games are assigned by the state. I'm curious as to whether we got skipped over.
Old Mon Nov 13, 2006, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljudge
Great points by the two of you. I told my friend I believe a USC was not the correct call. Of course that's what the crew went with and he disagreed with me and agreed with the crew. Of course his team was R and they wanted the ball 15 yards from the succeeding spot.

Bob - I only worked a semi but it was parochial (assigned locally). When do you find out if the state gives you a semi? It's my understanding it's out of our assignor's hands and those games are assigned by the state. I'm curious as to whether we got skipped over.
REPLY: The state assignments are being completed probably as we speak (or post). I would expect to receive a call either tonight or tomorrow night at the latest if you get a semi.