The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 27, 2006, 05:09pm
Official Forum Member

NFHS referee with a microphone

Just had my first experience with a microphone as a WH.

In reporting penalties, I explained the penalty by descibing the
penalty only in terms of the foul and the color of the offending
teams jerseys (no numbers, no team names).... then stated the enforcement
and the down number.

Are there any guidelines for what the white hat should report?

Most were of the type...."dead ball foul, false start on white, five yard
penalty, 2nd down"
Old Fri Oct 27, 2006, 05:19pm
Official Forum Member

Reason why you cannot say the team or least offense or defense, i.e, "Holding on Minnesota" or "Holding on the offense" ?
Old Fri Oct 27, 2006, 06:47pm
Official Forum Member

I would stick with say offense, defense, kicking team, or receiving team. The one thing you don't want to do is say the other team in the game fouled or even a team's name that isn't in that game that night.

Also don't listen to what you are saying. There is a delay and that will screw you up.

If the event ever happens use the mic to give extra explanations when they will help your situation. When signalling some unusual foul give some explanation surrounding it. I think that people are more satisfied if they understand the reasoning surrounding the call.
Old Sat Oct 28, 2006, 07:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrenkicker
If the event ever happens use the mic to give extra explanations when they will help your situation. When signalling some unusual foul give some explanation surrounding it. I think that people are more satisfied if they understand the reasoning surrounding the call.
A good example (although not unusual) is an illegal formation. I take the extra step as to WHY it's an illegal formation. Something like...

"There was an illegal formation by the offense. There were only 6 men on the line of scrimmage. 5-yard penalty from the previous line of scrimmage, replay second down."
Old Sat Oct 28, 2006, 08:42am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljudge
A good example (although not unusual) is an illegal formation. I take the extra step as to WHY it's an illegal formation. Something like...

"There was an illegal formation by the offense. There were only 6 men on the line of scrimmage. 5-yard penalty from the previous line of scrimmage, replay second down."
I had a play this year where we picked up an OPI flag because the pass was behind the line of scrimmage. I had a microphone that game and nobody required any further explanation. I would love to wear one every game I work.
Old Sun Oct 29, 2006, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Peruvian Send a message via Yahoo to Peruvian
Well, I know you're not supposed to say, "Holding...over here (while he signals to the offensive side), 10 yard penalty, repeat 2nd down." like my WH did the other night. The ribbing he took at our halftime chat was hilarity at its finest!
Old Sun Oct 29, 2006, 08:12pm
Official Forum Member

Don't identify the miscreant by number.

Bob
Old Sun Oct 29, 2006, 09:04pm
Official Forum Member

#1 Rule

Remember to turn it off when you're done speaking
Old Mon Oct 30, 2006, 12:06am
Official Forum Member

There is a delay in the PA system so speak in short sentences (about 3 words at a time).

Holding - Offense

10 yard penalty.....

From the spot of the foul (or previous spot).....

repeat (number) down.

I've also stopped saying "on the" when announcing the foul. Instead of "holding on the offense," I just say "holding, offense." Reviewing video, I found that I would get lazy and it would come out as "holding onda offense" when I was a bit winded.
Old Mon Oct 30, 2006, 01:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljudge

I really, really like R's that do this. I take this even a step further. Especially with this rule as I don't think many fans know it.

I know its a tad wordy, but I speak quickly... my spiel on the same foul

"Illegal procedure. Offense. Failed to meet the requirement of having seven men on the line. 5 yard penalty from the previous spot. Repeat 2nd down."

If you can explain the rule quickly and efficiently, why not. Even in games, where I'm not mic'd, I've noticed smaller crowds get very quiet so they can hear what I have to say.
Old Mon Oct 30, 2006, 10:01am
Broadcaster

One other thing to remember. Many stadiums (stadia?) that use a ref's mic splits the feed for us radio guys. So what is said is also on the radio. It makes for a better broadcast, especially when the referee clarifies for the listener what the broadcaster muddied up.
Old Mon Oct 30, 2006, 10:05am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruiseMan
I really, really like R's that do this. I take this even a step further. Especially with this rule as I don't think many fans know it.

I know its a tad wordy, but I speak quickly... my spiel on the same foul

"Illegal procedure. Offense. Failed to meet the requirement of having seven men on the line. 5 yard penalty from the previous spot. Repeat 2nd down."

If you can explain the rule quickly and efficiently, why not. Even in games, where I'm not mic'd, I've noticed smaller crowds get very quiet so they can hear what I have to say.
It is NOT "illegal procedure." It's "illegal formation." Use the right phrases: False start, illegal snap, illegal formation, etc.

Your explanation is also TOO wordy, IMO.

"Illegal formation. Offense. Six men on the line of scrimmage. Five yard penalty from the previous spot. Repeat second down."

Are the words "Illegal procedure" still on the signal chart? In the rule book?

(I'm on vacation and my nearest books are hundreds of miles away.)

--Rich
Old Mon Oct 30, 2006, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser
Are the words "Illegal procedure" still on the signal chart? In the rule book?
--Rich
Absolutely not. They were removed in 2005.
The terminology should no longer be used in calling fouls or reporting fouls.
Old Mon Oct 30, 2006, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXMike
Reason why you cannot say the team or least offense or defense, i.e, "Holding on Minnesota" or "Holding on the offense" ?
No reason... just had never thought about what one would say.

Would have been better to say offense, defense, kicking team or receiving team.

It was nice to have the microphone to explain in one instance that we had a foul on the defense prior to a fumble... so on and so forth.

I figured that I should NOT say a number. Even though we are going to relay
that number to the coach.
Old Mon Oct 30, 2006, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

Talking

My crew was picking on me before the game about using a mic a few weeks ago. I kept telling them that at some point in the game I was going to flip on the mic and say "After review, there is definative video evidence that the play on the field stands as called!"