The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 13, 2005, 08:08pm
Official Forum Member

Hi all,

Couple of days ago I was given the chance to referee an intramural game at my university. I had always wanted to try ref'ing, and it was just as fun as I thought. The only blatant mistake was one foolish inadvertant whistle. I think I did well, though. Of course, its an intramural game, they don't care about hand signals and all that... but I can learn that.

Anyways, I really enjoy refereeing and would like to do it on my spare time. I'm 19. What kind of league & age do you recommend I ref, and how would I go about becoming a referee? I don't want to referee too young kids... preferably 13+.

Thanks in advance.
Sherwin
Old Thu Jan 13, 2005, 08:16pm
Official Forum Member

Contact your state association, although it would probably be too late to get started this year. If you contact local rec leagues, they should be able to direct you to whoever schedule their officials. The most important thing you can do to become a good official (of course, understanding the rulebook is also key) is to get out there and work. If that means you have to work a games with kids who are 10 and 11, so be it. I did that when I first started, and they were much harder than the more advanced games I work now.

Sara
Old Thu Jan 13, 2005, 08:25pm
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb think long and hard

Sherwin think long and hard about what you wish for.

actually what you need to do is to contact your local officials assocation, they can usually be found by a search on the net. someone there can get you registered for school and the associtaion.

One thing to remember when you are studing know the definitions as well as you know the rules. definitions can get you out of more trouble. If you know what it is you canfigure out what to do with it!

I would recomend that you DO work some youth games before you step into the big time, and once you have made it to the big time keep working youth games third grade through 50 year olds.

That is where you can test your capacity of rules knowledge, your stomach for the BS that you have to put up with from players, coaches,and fans. and it will allow your to improve upon your skills and appreciate the big time that much more.

Old Thu Jan 13, 2005, 09:27pm
M.A.S.H.

Most officials will tell you that you have to be nuts to want to become an official! But hey, we seem to enjoy it and it isn't the worst thing someone's going to call you!
Old Thu Jan 13, 2005, 09:59pm
Official Forum Member

I strongly recommending finding a camp this summer, preferrably one that will focus on beginning mechanics. Practicing the RIGHT mechanics will go a long way.
Old Fri Jan 14, 2005, 02:59am
Official Forum Member

Where are you located? I say you keep trying to work the IM games that you have, lots of young officials start off in IMs. Find out from the IM director, or the AD at a local HS who to contact to get into refereeing. Maybe your university has a PE class which deals with officiating which could be a good start. Finally, maybe attend a HS game, watch the refs and find a mentor who can help you with some of your questions. Good luck.