The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 30, 2006, 07:50am
Official Forum Member

I'm just wondering what the proscribed mechanics are.

For 5 man crews we have the LM/LJ always having the spot. So for a long pass they need to release on the pass and start running. The U turns to check short passes, but is with the R for clean up.
Even if I don't release immediately, and even being not really in shape, I'm going to cover most the distance the runner did. After 65 yards (I believe it was right?) I might not make it to the goal or 5, but the 15 would be decent to at least see things.

With a 7 man crew we still have everything up to the 3 yards line. Snap inside the 8 we take the GL directly and the FJ/SJ have the end line.

Are you told to hold the line and watch behind the play? Seems strange to me, but some other mechanics things I have read also seem strange.

James
Old Mon Oct 30, 2006, 08:33am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrye22
I'm just wondering what the proscribed mechanics are.

For 5 man crews we have the LM/LJ always having the spot. So for a long pass they need to release on the pass and start running. The U turns to check short passes, but is with the R for clean up.
Even if I don't release immediately, and even being not really in shape, I'm going to cover most the distance the runner did. After 65 yards (I believe it was right?) I might not make it to the goal or 5, but the 15 would be decent to at least see things.

With a 7 man crew we still have everything up to the 3 yards line. Snap inside the 8 we take the GL directly and the FJ/SJ have the end line.

Are you told to hold the line and watch behind the play? Seems strange to me, but some other mechanics things I have read also seem strange.

James
For 5 man, the BJ is expected to get a deep spot. At least where I live....
Old Mon Oct 30, 2006, 04:54pm
Official Forum Member

Where was the linesman on this play. In your discussions later, did he say that he saw the late hit?

If you ask me this taunting thing is out of hand. We are expected to discern the motives for a player's acts. (ie-did he slow down due to fatigue or to taunt) Are there other fouls where we look to the "intent" ?