The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 17, 2004, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

Play: K1 punts from his 40 yardline. On R’s 30 yardline, R1 catches the ball and is hit and downed immediately.

Flag or No Flag?

Play: K1 punts from his 40 yardline. On R’s 30 yardline, R1 is hit (under the same circumstance as in the example above) R1 does not catch the ball.

Flag or No Flag?
Old Fri Sep 17, 2004, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

Define Immediately.

(NCAA) If R had the opportunity to catch - no foul on either. If R didn't - kick catch interference.
Old Fri Sep 17, 2004, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

Mr Crowder has asked exactly what I was going to ask because is really can make a difference. Just because he caught it does not mean the kicking team gets off the hook.
Old Fri Sep 17, 2004, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

Well under the Fed rules, K only has to obstruct R's path to the ball to have kick catch interference. If R caught the ball and is tackled, I dont see where you would have a foul. However, if R signals for a fair catch, then we have a whole other ball of wax.

For some reason I have become an expert on this rule, since I had a Kick catch interference call two weeks in a row.

[Edited by bjudge on Sep 17th, 2004 at 03:52 PM]
Old Fri Sep 17, 2004, 03:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mcrowder
Define Immediately.

(NCAA) If R had the opportunity to catch - no foul on either. If R didn't - kick catch interference.

If there was a video of the play and everyone had the same view, immediately would be defined, but we don’t.

The example has to do with two situations that are the same with different results that has to be ruled on by the covering official.

If R1 catches the ball, the covering official could rule, he caught the ball (R1 had an opportunity to make the catch) no Flag.

If R1 did not catch the ball, the covering official could rule (R1 didn’t have an opportunity to catch the ball) a Flag.
Old Fri Sep 17, 2004, 03:54pm
Official Forum Member

I know that I would not rule differently in the two situations. If I felt K interfered with R's catch, it's interference, regardless of whether such interference actually prevented a catch.
Old Fri Sep 17, 2004, 10:18pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Lightbulb Canadian Ruling

Quote:
Originally posted by Green
Play: K1 punts from his 40 yardline. On R’s 30 yardline, R1 catches the ball and is hit and downed immediately.

Flag or No Flag?

Play: K1 punts from his 40 yardline. On R’s 30 yardline, R1 is hit (under the same circumstance as in the example above) R1 does not catch the ball.

Flag or No Flag?
1: Flag for No Yards and Unnecessary Roughness. 30 yards total, R 1D/10 @ K-50.

2: Flag for Unnecessary Roughness. 15 from UR POA... which are many, we'd have to know what happened after that.