The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 26, 2006, 09:16pm
Official Forum Member

Is this worth my time?

I've talked with a coach who is friend of mine, he has collected several videos and guides on coaching different methods, (example: Pass coverage, route running, "coaching defense", "coaching offense") just many different guides and ways coaches teach players about football. He said I could watch/read them if I thought it would help me in my officiating...(insult maybe !?) Anyways, I guess it wouldnt hurt knowing a little bit, but was curious if anyone else has ever used these coaching guides in helping with their officiating
Old Thu Oct 26, 2006, 09:35pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

I don't think it can hurt.

I'm certain you know the game well, but you might pick something up that you'd never seen before and when it does happen in a game, you will know how to deal with it.

I say go for it!
Old Thu Oct 26, 2006, 10:07pm
Official Forum Member

I worked a college scrimmage last year and they were going with some 7 on 7 stuff. Before the scrimmage started they were working on some defensive back techniques and asking my opinion on if this or that would be considered a foul with how they were teaching it. It was very interesting to hear how they were teaching the technique. It was good for me, and them as they heard things from my perspective.

A few NFL officials I have talked to at clinics say they attend practice before they work scrimmages in the preseason and talk to the players as they do drills, telling them what they look for and what is and is not a foul. It benifits both parties. I think it may be a good thing to look at and I would be interested in getting a tape from you if he had one on coaching DB's on pass coverage. If he does, shoot me an email if you'd be willing to share and we could discuss it.
Old Thu Oct 26, 2006, 11:08pm
Official Forum Member

I would definitely look at it. I'm not that old, but when I played, "spread" meant something you put on bread with a knife, not a football offense or formation. I would welcome the opportunity to get more familiar with the various offenses and defenses, as well as the drills run for those systems.