The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 25, 2006, 08:16pm
Official Forum Member

Some clarification of NCAA kick play

On a kickoff from his 35-yard line, A31 touches the ball at his own 43-yard line. As the play continues, B2 gains possession, carries the ball for a few yards and fumbles. A29 recovers the ball and carries it over Team B's goal line. During A29's run B70 holds.

Ruling: No score. The penalty is declined by rule. Team B gets possession of the ball at the A43 due to the illegal touching.

Why is this declined by rule? What is the reference number? I'm confused how they can commit a foul, then get the ball. Also, I would think this is a foul by the opponent of the scoring team it would be enforced on the try. (Although I'm not sure if this is a rule in NCAA as it is with fed)

This is example 3-8 (page 10) in the Redding manual.

This is probably one of those things that are absolutely 100% crystal clear to everyone. For some stupid reason I'm not seeing it. Maybe because I haven't had my Miller Lite after a long day at work.

Last edited by ljudge; Wed Oct 25, 2006 at 08:19pm.
Old Wed Oct 25, 2006, 08:30pm
Official Forum Member

I'll ask one question and that should help you out. Where would you enforce the hold from? Since the run ended in a TD the penalty cannot be enforced so it's declined. Remember the rule about an accepted penalty removing the privelage of taking the ball at the spot of illegal touching. In this play there wasn't an accepted penalty so that privelage still exists.

Had they fell down on the 1 yard line then there would be a spot to enforce the penalty from or if the foul would have been a personal foul, because PF's carry over to the try or succeeding kickoff.
Old Wed Oct 25, 2006, 09:06pm
Official Forum Member

Aah...I see your point. So in NCAA we don't have a foul that could be enforced on the try as we do with Fed when the opponent of the scoring team fouls?