The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 24, 2006, 09:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIcoach
another question comes to mind though. i have heard that there is techniqually no PI until the ball leaves the throwers hand. is this correct? and if it is, who's responsibility is it to see whether the ball has left yet? i would find it hard as a backjudge to watch both the pass and the contact downfield if it was mine.
For the defense, yes. Pass interference restrictions begin with the pass.
Old Tue Oct 24, 2006, 09:25pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

I got nutin'.
Old Wed Oct 25, 2006, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to FootballRef05
[QUOTE=MIcoach]the official was throwing the flag.

the official waited to long to throw the flag, IMO,

Where in the rule book or the manual do you see anything where the official has to throw his flag immediately? There is no reason we have to throw a flag until we are sure of what we have. The term late flag by the "talking heads" on TV every week leads people to believe that an official is unsure of what he is doing rather than taking the time to process what he sees and making the correct call. Of course we want to make calls in a timely fashion, however I don't think is is fair to say he waited to long to call a foul.
Old Wed Oct 25, 2006, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=FootballRef05]
Quote:
the official was throwing the flag.

the official waited to long to throw the flag, IMO,

Where in the rule book or the manual do you see anything where the official has to throw his flag immediately? There is no reason we have to throw a flag until we are sure of what we have. The term late flag by the "talking heads" on TV every week leads people to believe that an official is unsure of what he is doing rather than taking the time to process what he sees and making the correct call. Of course we want to make calls in a timely fashion, however I don't think is is fair to say he waited to long to call a foul.
I was just about to mention this. People thinking the flag should come out simultaneously with the foul occuring are being unreasonable.
I have been hampered lately by this logic when I waited to throw the flag on a play because I was literally replaying it in my head. I dropped the flag and everyone lost their mind. After this I was advised that I can't make a call more than a second after it's happen. That I should see most calls coming and rule immediately. Well that was about a month or so ago and in that time I'd say I've had 3 of the worst games I've ever done. Much, much worse than even my first JV game. Why? Cause I've called almost nothing and the couple I have called I seriously can not verify in my mind that they happen cause I was anticipating. Basically I got myself all screwed up. So now it's back to how I used to do it. See it, replay it if it's "funny looking" and then rule. Yeah I'll get a couple of those "hey you only ruled after you saw us intercept, your cheating" type of arguments but I'll be able to go home knowing I've done my job as well as I could.

Oh, sorry...didn't mean to hijack the thread....back to the original thread. I don't see any faceguarding either which by the title of the thread is what was called here. If they are calling something that happen earlier in the play then obviously we can't see it but it's definately not a faceguard.
Old Wed Oct 25, 2006, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FootballRef05

not being a football official, i do not know if there is a time in which you are supposed to throw a flag. but to me, the time that was waited before pulling the flag was to long. i understand you have to replay everything in your mind, but how long is to long? to me, if you see a foul, there really is no replaying it in your mind, it is a foul and the flag should be thrown. if you are not sure if there is a foul then, yes think it through, but it shouldnt take as long as it took that official to throw the flag. again, this is just my opinion as a coach/spectator/parent. maybe next year if i sign up to become an official i will have a different opinion of this, but this is my opinion right now.
Old Wed Oct 25, 2006, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
not being a football official, i do not know if there is a time in which you are supposed to throw a flag. but to me, the time that was waited before pulling the flag was to long. i understand you have to replay everything in your mind, but how long is to long? to me, if you see a foul, there really is no replaying it in your mind, it is a foul and the flag should be thrown. if you are not sure if there is a foul then, yes think it through, but it shouldnt take as long as it took that official to throw the flag. again, this is just my opinion as a coach/spectator/parent. maybe next year if i sign up to become an official i will have a different opinion of this, but this is my opinion right now.
To answer the question there is no time frame in which we are required to throw the flag. See it, process it and make a decision. Some fouls are very obvious while others are judgment, like DPI, and may take a bit longer to process.

In your opinion you make it very simple, there is a foul, see it, throw the flag. If all officials followed this I could only imagine the coach on the sideline screaming when countless flags are picked up and waived off because it was thrown before the official processed what happened. Bottom line is Coachs/Spectators/Parents do not know the rule, don't take time to know the rule and have little, if any understanding of what officials do on the field.

I was the same way until I started officiating. It only took a short time for me to gain a new respect for official once I learned what happens on a football field.
Old Wed Oct 25, 2006, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
to me, if you see a foul, there really is no replaying it in your mind, it is a foul and the flag should be thrown. if you are not sure if there is a foul then, yes think it through, but it shouldnt take as long as it took that official to throw the flag.
Not to belabor what others have commented regarding speed of flag.... This official still has a live play going, he is reaching for his flag and has it out in about 2 or 3 steps. Play isn't even over yet. That doesn't seem unreasonable to me. Especially if its caught somewhere in his waistband like mine likes to do occasionally.

Regarding whether the flag is warranted, well, as others have said, what happened prior to those 3 coming into the picture?
Old Wed Oct 25, 2006, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

I agree, the covering official has to read the play then react to it. If it takes a couple seconds, so be it.

It sure looks to me that the interception was completed prior to the second defender doing anything that remotely looks like DPI.
Old Wed Oct 25, 2006, 06:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantsrc
Plus, look at the timing of the flag, it comes out after the ball has been intercepted so there really is no plausable reason the flag came out that late.
Grant, while I agree that this doesn't look like like a foul based upon what we can see I am hesitant about ever critisizing an official for a late flag. I know there's been more than one occassion where I reach for my flag and either missed it or grabbed my beanbag by mistake. I think there was also a whiff on a flag in the super bowl last year that made it appear that the flag was late.
Old Wed Oct 25, 2006, 06:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theisey
I agree, the covering official has to read the play then react to it. If it takes a couple seconds, so be it.

It sure looks to me that the interception was completed prior to the second defender doing anything that remotely looks like DPI.

You can't see all of the contact but it looks like it was initiated by the receiver who was trying to react to an underthrown ball. I agree, no foul.
Old Wed Oct 25, 2006, 07:48pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to grantsrc
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltjp
Grant, while I agree that this doesn't look like like a foul based upon what we can see I am hesitant about ever critisizing an official for a late flag. I know there's been more than one occassion where I reach for my flag and either missed it or grabbed my beanbag by mistake. I think there was also a whiff on a flag in the super bowl last year that made it appear that the flag was late.
Walt, just to clarify, I'm not criticizing the timing of the flag, rather I was responding to another post saying the flag came out late. There are times that we're instructed to hold a flag until something else happens, i.e. ineligibles downfield, OPI, etc.
Old Wed Oct 25, 2006, 09:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantsrc
Walt, just to clarify, I'm not criticizing the timing of the flag, rather I was responding to another post saying the flag came out late. There are times that we're instructed to hold a flag until something else happens, i.e. ineligibles downfield, OPI, etc.
Gotcha!
Old Thu Oct 26, 2006, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=BigFarns]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FootballRef05
...After this I was advised that I can't make a call more than a second after it's happen. That I should see most calls coming and rule immediately.
REPLY: For whomever told you that, I would strongly advise him to get to a 21st century officiating clinic and get with accepted modern officiating techniques. You can always anticipate the play, but you never should anticipate a foul. See the action...read its relevance to the play...assess it to determine whether an advantage was gained...then decide whether to throw or not. If it takes a few seconds, that's a small price to pay for getting the call ultimately right.
Old Thu Oct 26, 2006, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=Bob M.]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFarns

REPLY: For whomever told you that, I would strongly advise him to get to a 21st century officiating clinic and get with accepted modern officiating techniques. You can always anticipate the play, but you never should anticipate a foul. See the action...read its relevance to the play...assess it to determine whether an advantage was gained...then decide whether to throw or not. If it takes a few seconds, that's a small price to pay for getting the call ultimately right.
Hey Bob, just wanted to clarify that I was not told that, that quote was taken from my original reply. I was as floored as you were when I read that. Your reply was well stated, as usual!