The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 23, 2006, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

PI and faceguarding

during our game saturday night, we were flagged for faceguarding. i am one of the few little league coaches that reads the rule books and actually knows what this call is, but the officials reason for throwing the flag has me perplexed.

in his explanation he says that the DB never turned his head to find the ball. which i understand to a point. but my DB was 5 yds from the WR when the ball touched his hands and was basically in chase mode once he got beat on the pass route. so i am not sure that this penalty should have been thrown. it hurt us a little, in that the pass was incomplete, but they got the PI yds and a first down from it and proceded to score on the next play. without the penalty it would have been a 4th and long situation.

i asked how the db could have faceguarded the wr being 5 yds away, and all the ref would say is that he did not turn his head to find the ball and make a play on it. i didnt argue, but did talk to the head official (who is a good friend) and asked him. being as he didnt see the play he couldnt give me a better explanation of the call.

i just want to make sure that my interpretation of the rule is correct. in faceguarding you deliberately attempt to block the Rec's field of vision with no intent of making a play on the ball. in that i mean, i put my hands up in front of your face to distract your vision of the ball, without turning my head to find the ball and make a play on it. am i correct in this thinking?
Old Mon Oct 23, 2006, 03:03pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Lightbulb Canadian Philosophy

If your arms are up and are not looking for the ball, it has to extremely obvious that your actions are not blocking the vision of the WR for us to not throw a flag.

It's a judgment call. Teach your DB to watch the eyes of the WR... when they get big - the DB turns to knock the ball away.
Old Mon Oct 23, 2006, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

7-5-10 It is forward-pass interference if:
b. Any player hinders an opponent’s vision without making an attempt to catch, intercept or bat the ball, even though no contact was made.

The standard usage of this rule involves the offending player being nearly within reach of the offended player thus being able to hinder the vision while the player is trying to catch the ball. So I would say that two yards is about the limit of the range of this foul while 5 yards is not possible.
Old Mon Oct 23, 2006, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

I'd like to make a minor comment to you, coach, and hope not to draw your ire. Since you seem to be a reasonable coach truly looking to learn and understand, you should probably be made aware that you will get a lot further with some of the officials here in their willingness to aid if you eliminate entirely from your posts any mention of "This play really cost us" or, "This call changed the game." Just the situation and what was called. Otherwise, you sound like all of the other coaches that come here just to complain or whine. Since you don't seem to be one of those, I am hoping this advice helps you not look like one of those.

Welcome to the site.
Old Mon Oct 23, 2006, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member

Who says 5 yds is not possible. 6ft 6in defender, 5 foot 6 in reciever low pass might be possible.
Old Mon Oct 23, 2006, 09:05pm
Official Forum Member

For me, the key is hindering the vision just as the rule states. If the A player leaps for a ball, and a B player tries to faceguard the offensive player without success and there is no contact, and the B players hands do not get into the sight line of the A player, I've got nothing. Yes, it's a judgement call, but if I'm calling it, the B players hands had better be near the eyes of the A player.
Old Mon Oct 23, 2006, 09:18pm
Official Forum Member

Never mind that this rule seems pretty stupid but let me just throw this out there...'

In your game it is illegal for a defender to put his hands up and block the vision of the receiver but it is okay for an onrushing defensive lineman to put hs hands up and block the QB's view downfield towards his receivers?????? Y'all need a rule change there fellas.
Old Mon Oct 23, 2006, 09:33pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXMike
Never mind that this rule seems pretty stupid but let me just throw this out there...'

In your game it is illegal for a defender to put his hands up and block the vision of the receiver but it is okay for an onrushing defensive lineman to put hs hands up and block the QB's view downfield towards his receivers?????? Y'all need a rule change there fellas.
Please don't start the whole "NCAA rules are superior" crap.
Old Mon Oct 23, 2006, 09:36pm
Official Forum Member

On this one they clearly are. This is a freakin CONTACT sport for goodness sake. Making it a foul to simply put your hands up in the air to break up a pass is nuts.
Old Tue Oct 24, 2006, 01:21am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:

On this one they clearly are. This is a freakin CONTACT sport for goodness sake. Making it a foul to simply put your hands up in the air to break up a pass is nuts.
There is a notable difference between these two acts.

In the case of a defender rushing the passer and raising his arms in the air, he is playing the ball.

In the case of a back pursuing a receiver and raising his arms in the air, and without looking back, he is not playing the ball.

This difference affects a fundamental rule with many sports - not just football: to play the ball (or puck, or ......) and not the man. Everything about football is the ball: forward progress, first/last touched, etc...
Old Tue Oct 24, 2006, 07:14am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Putting your hands in front of a receiver's face so he cannot see while not playing the ball sounds like bad defense to me. Tell me why this shouldn't be pass interference.
Old Tue Oct 24, 2006, 07:45am
Official Forum Member

For the same reason that putting your hands in front of the QB's face is not roughing the passer.
Old Tue Oct 24, 2006, 07:52am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
For the same reason that putting your hands in front of the QB's face is not roughing the passer.
This is a really bad analogy, for the reasons JugglingReferee has already mentioned.
Old Tue Oct 24, 2006, 07:59am
Official Forum Member

If I put my hands in the QB's face to block his vision I am not "playing the ball" .
Old Tue Oct 24, 2006, 08:06am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
If I put my hands in the QB's face to block his vision I am not "playing the ball" .
You're not interfering with his attempt to catch a pass, either.