View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 25, 2006, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=FootballRef05]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIcoach
the official was throwing the flag.

the official waited to long to throw the flag, IMO,

Where in the rule book or the manual do you see anything where the official has to throw his flag immediately? There is no reason we have to throw a flag until we are sure of what we have. The term late flag by the "talking heads" on TV every week leads people to believe that an official is unsure of what he is doing rather than taking the time to process what he sees and making the correct call. Of course we want to make calls in a timely fashion, however I don't think is is fair to say he waited to long to call a foul.
I was just about to mention this. People thinking the flag should come out simultaneously with the foul occuring are being unreasonable.
I have been hampered lately by this logic when I waited to throw the flag on a play because I was literally replaying it in my head. I dropped the flag and everyone lost their mind. After this I was advised that I can't make a call more than a second after it's happen. That I should see most calls coming and rule immediately. Well that was about a month or so ago and in that time I'd say I've had 3 of the worst games I've ever done. Much, much worse than even my first JV game. Why? Cause I've called almost nothing and the couple I have called I seriously can not verify in my mind that they happen cause I was anticipating. Basically I got myself all screwed up. So now it's back to how I used to do it. See it, replay it if it's "funny looking" and then rule. Yeah I'll get a couple of those "hey you only ruled after you saw us intercept, your cheating" type of arguments but I'll be able to go home knowing I've done my job as well as I could.

Oh, sorry...didn't mean to hijack the thread....back to the original thread. I don't see any faceguarding either which by the title of the thread is what was called here. If they are calling something that happen earlier in the play then obviously we can't see it but it's definately not a faceguard.