The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 27, 2006, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

Fun coaches

Game one, I'm R. I call a hold on the center for a WWF takedown of the noseguard. 2 seconds later QB throws a swing/screen pass. As I'm signalling, I hear, "In 25 years, I've never seen holding on a screen pass." I wanted to say, "Really? In 25 years? NEVER? I'm stunned - that's quite amazing." He didn't seem to understand that this was completely normal run of the mill holding that you generally see in every single game. The fact that the play turned into a screen pass is completely immaterial.

Same game, other team - after a PAT, a kid (younger than the players) runs a ball onto the field for the kick. My U sends him off the field, and we keep the PAT ball for the kickoff. Later, after a deep 3rd down incomplete pass, I ask for a ball, and they try to send this ball on to me for 4th down. The leather is COMPLETELY worn down on one side, logo is barely legible, and it was WAY flatter than the other balls. I reject it and wait for the ball we used on 3rd down, and they go completely nuts. Wouldn't let it go for about 3 plays. Not sure how LJ didn't flag him - I admire his restraint. They tried to get the ball in again on a PAT, and we sent it off the field. After the game one of them approaches us reasonably and tries to find out why we wouldn't allow them to switch balls, claiming the balls were identical. I said, "Coach, if the balls were identical, why was it so important for you to get this particular ball into the game 3 times when you were kicking?" He still didn't get it.

Same game - 1st coach. Both receivers on his side of the line were blocked right on the line of scrimmage and went down. QB rolled that way and had no one to throw to. Coach screams for pass interference for about 4 plays. Calls the blocks "chop blocks" even.

A fun night was had by all.
Old Fri Oct 27, 2006, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
I've just about had it with special kicking balls. They're usually under or over inflated or so worn you can't get a grip on them. With the exception of a wet or muddy ball I never let the teams switch balls for a try.

When I'm presented with balls to inspect during the pregame I'll ask the coach if he's willing to use his kicking ball when they're on offense. If he answers 'no' I'll tell him that we won't force the opponent to use it either. That usually stops the conversation.
Old Fri Oct 27, 2006, 03:44pm
Official Forum Member

We had a fun one last night. Close frosh game where with about 4 minutes left in a 3 point game, Team A punts from their ~30. Short punt and it hits a Team B player, who's in a squatted position with his back turned to the punter, in his rear end. I saw it, the R saw it, but the U and HL didn't see it. However, we killed it, kept the spot, and huddled for discussion. All this time, some coach on the sideline is yelling, "it didn't hit him in the butt."

How come he knew exactly where it DID hit him if it didn't actually hit him?

Later, during a timeout when I was pointing this out to the other guys, the HL (his sideline) said the coaches said they knew it hit him. They were just trying to fake us out.
Old Mon Oct 30, 2006, 10:39pm
Official Forum Member

Why ask the coach about his philosophy on bringing in the new ball in? Simply tell him the rule: "You can only bring in a new ball when you're awarded a new series. You weren't awarded a new series; therefore, we're playing with this ball."