The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 11, 2006, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TerpZebra
Video Play 2 - WR hold

I think our wing officials and back judges need to see plays like this better and understand that this is a significant hold at the point of attack by the offense and needs to be called.

What do you think?

Hold on TD by WR
Old Wed Oct 11, 2006, 03:14pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerpZebra
I think our wing officials and back judges need to see plays like this better and understand that this is a significant hold at the point of attack by the offense and needs to be called.

What do you think?

Hold on TD by WR
Agreed. This one is frequently missed by a wing focusing too much on the runner and not enough at the halo/point of attack.
Old Wed Oct 11, 2006, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

I'd say that had an impact on the play, yeah.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Wed Oct 11, 2006, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

Definately a hold. However, how many officials were working the game. In a four man crew, I could see how this could get missed as the wing might be watching the tight-end on the play. I don't know how other states do it, but in GA on a five man crew the BJ would be responsible for the outside receiver and the wing responsible for the inside receiver (in this case the tight-end). I'm a BJ on Friday nights on a five man crew, and this hold would be my key. Hope to God I'd see it and call it.
Old Wed Oct 11, 2006, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

As stated above - definite hold.
Old Wed Oct 11, 2006, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

Wow, well the receiver was quick with that hold and BJ missed it. But I can see how he missed it.
Old Wed Oct 11, 2006, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

I'd expect that most of us have already quit watching our keys and have started officiating our zone (point of attack). On this play the wing official would most likely be watching the runner. The R would be cleaning up the action behind the runner. This leaves the U and BJ. More than likely the BJ would catch this in a 5 man crew and the U on a 4 man crew.
Old Wed Oct 11, 2006, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TerpZebra
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthGARef
Definately a hold. However, how many officials were working the game. In a four man crew, I could see how this could get missed as the wing might be watching the tight-end on the play. I don't know how other states do it, but in GA on a five man crew the BJ would be responsible for the outside receiver and the wing responsible for the inside receiver (in this case the tight-end). I'm a BJ on Friday nights on a five man crew, and this hold would be my key. Hope to God I'd see it and call it.
I was the BJ on the play, and I had that key. Unfortunately, I failed to make the call.

It was the first play I showed everyone when doing training. I wanted to make sure that showing these plays and mechanics on film is not intended to humiliate people, it's so that our association gets better. I'm definitely not above admitting I made a mistake in the game. It happens. I know I won't miss that call again, though.
Old Wed Oct 11, 2006, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member

Good for you TerpZebra. It doesn't matter who the official is on the play, it matters that the people watching it learn from it. We all miss things. But I guarantee you that this video will help others get this foul.

I agree that the BJ should get this. But honestly, I think a good HL or LJ would get this as well.
Old Wed Oct 11, 2006, 04:02pm
Do not give a damn!!

Of course it is a hold. There was a significant jersey stretch and shoulder turn. Classic hold in my opinion.

I also do not think this is something the wing is always going to see. The BJ or the Umpire could get this. The wing often times might not see this from his angle as well.

Peace
Old Wed Oct 11, 2006, 04:12pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
I was the BJ on the play, and I had that key. Unfortunately, I failed to make the call.

It was the first play I showed everyone when doing training. I wanted to make sure that showing these plays and mechanics on film is not intended to humiliate people, it's so that our association gets better. I'm definitely not above admitting I made a mistake in the game. It happens. I know I won't miss that call again, though.
I'm glad you clarified. I couldn't tell if the BJ (you) was favoring the other side -- the formation seemed balanced and the ball in the middle of the field (if I'm wrong there.....we'll, I'm not going back to the video again).

I'd have no problem with the U picking this up, either.
Old Wed Oct 11, 2006, 04:14pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonTX
I'd expect that most of us have already quit watching our keys and have started officiating our zone (point of attack). On this play the wing official would most likely be watching the runner. The R would be cleaning up the action behind the runner. This leaves the U and BJ. More than likely the BJ would catch this in a 5 man crew and the U on a 4 man crew.
But the point of attack here isn't the runner, it's the activity near the runner.

I agree with you that the officials have dropped their keys at this point and also that the wing is watching the runner since he's near the goalline.
Old Wed Oct 11, 2006, 04:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I wanted to make sure that showing these plays and mechanics on film is not intended to humiliate people, it's so that our association gets better.
Good for you, and that's the way it should be! We should all want to get better, but unfortunately there are officials out there who not only refuse to look at film, but think they are so good they belong in an NFL stadium with < 50 high school games under their belts.

Thanks for sharing.
Old Wed Oct 11, 2006, 08:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickelDeuce

I agree that the BJ should get this. But honestly, I think a good HL or LJ would get this as well.
A good H or L would also have that call. The reason they should have had the call is cuz the running back is not being threatened, so their focus should be on the blocks in front of the runner.

The best wing men will focus on blocks around the ballcarrier, watching the runner peripherally until he is threatened and then watch the runner for FM, fumbles, and so on. This is probably the most difficult thing to do as an official, but from some NFL guys I have talked to at clinics, one of the most important things to watch for as a wing.
Old Wed Oct 11, 2006, 09:18pm
Chain of Fools

I think the wing in that play

has got to focus on the ball carrier and the goal line. BJ could have made that call on the hold.

I notice the R & U didn't seem too involved at all. R trailed way behind after the pitch and the U hardly moved from his original position. I don't think U can make that call here unless he moves more to his right and looks.