The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 11, 2006, 08:40am
Official Forum Member

Sportmanship--What can officials do?

I’m sure most of you have heard of the running back from Matewan High who ran for 658 yards in a 64-0 win. Matewan was playing a team that hadn’t scored a TD against them in seven years and barely had enough players to field a team. During the second half, Matewan played their starters, ran a no-huddle offense and on defense refused to return punts, allowing the ball to roll backwards so that RB McCoy could have more yards to gain. It was a calculated effort to break the record.

Now, I have seen a few reporters who have commented on this story and have asked the question if the officials could have done anything to stop it. They point to Section 9, Article 3 of the NFHS rulebook. “Neither team shall commit any act, which in the opinion of the referee, tends to make a travesty of the game.” Violations for this can be “any penalty the referee considers equitable.”

Would any of you consider using this rule to do something in a situation like this?

“Records are sometimes worth pursuing, sportsmanship be damned.”
Yogi Kinder, Matewan High School Coach
Old Wed Oct 11, 2006, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

I would not do anything specific because that is not part of my job as an official. I would not let much go if it were against the winning team - I'd cut them no slack.

Keeping the score down or protecting the ego of the less talented team would not be something we as officials should do.
Old Wed Oct 11, 2006, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to ML99 Send a message via Skype™ to ML99
In Austria (we play NCAA rules) we have an additional rule called the "Mercy Rule". This rule applies only in 2nd half if one of the team is leading with 35 or more than 35 points difference. When Mercy-Rule applies we always have a running clock. It only stops with team time outs, scores, injury time out ...

If the score difference gets fewer than 35points ... the clock doesn't go back to normal. It keeps running.

That's how we keep teams from running up the score. Normally they send out the backup players if there is too much difference on the score.

Last edited by ML99; Wed Oct 11, 2006 at 10:21am.
Old Fri Oct 13, 2006, 10:16am
Official Forum Member

Amazed

I'm amazed that this post didn't open a can of worms. As officials it is our responsibility to ensure, at the high school level, that the integrity of the game is protected and that, as much as possible, the experience is positive for the participants. Kinder's conduct and comments, if reported accuractly, should be actionable by the state authority.

I do not know of any rule that forces a punt return; so there isn't any room there. On the other hand, the rule book does not stipulate that a hold or illegal use of hands MUST affect the play in order to be flaged. We, as officials, simply use common sense in that area, aided by a mechanics manual. It's the rare High School play that doesn't have something happen on the field that could be flaged. A blockers hands slightly ourside the frame? Flagable! A back twitching ever so slightly before the snap? Flagable! The center moving the ball forward ever so slightly as opposed to simply tilting the ball? Flagable! As a Referee, after it becomes apparent what the winning team is doing in a case like presented in the post, my crew and I are getting together to very briefly review when flags are to be thrown. Make up the foul? OF COURSE NOT. But call everything we see, everywhere on the field - you bet! Problem probably solved. If my crew gets scratched from that school next year, GOOD! It would be hard for me to forget that quote from the coach - even a year later.
Old Fri Oct 13, 2006, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

Our BJ has decided to do something off the field. He started a non-profit Org. called Team Sports in WI. His plan is to be asked to be a speaker at schools, typically in conjunction with the mandatory athletic meetings, but could be at any time. His discussions will key on what good sportsmanship is, relating to players, parents, coaches, etc. in all sports.

Our State athletic association distributes data related to ejections in our annual required officials/coaches sports meetings. Football had been on the increase but has leveled off, but some other sports such as soccer are continuing to increase in ejections of players and coaches. Maybe our BJ can help out in this area.

I have yet to attend a presentation of his (he's only been in it for about 3 months), but I intend to, and will keep you posted on results. One of our officials is a principal at a local HS and did invite BJ in, and said it was well received by all (parents, coaches, players).
Old Fri Oct 13, 2006, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

I would not recommend getting together to discuss what fouls are called and then calling every ticky-tack foul. That would look as unprofessional as the coach. Maybe at half-time you can discuss it. Surely in pregame, these officials knew this would be a blowout.

If I recall from the story, a 70-something yard TD was called back in that game. I wonder if this was an example of what you're proposing.

I think officials should maybe call the game a little tighter, but don't go overboard. I would recommend trying to keep the clock running. Player is hit near sideline and goes OB, maybe you saw his forward progress end on the field of play. These guys were running a hurry-up offense - slow down the officiating pace. Hold of on the RFP for a few seconds whenever the clock is running. Take your time getting the ball from the spot to the U to set it down. There are lots of things that can be done to make it harder to run up the score without having to throw phantom flags. Remember, you still have an obligation to call it the same both ways.

We have a coach in the area that is notorious for throwing the ball late in the 4th quarter when up by 50 or 60 points. My crew's solution is to never take a game that they play in. I know it doesn't solve the problem, but we refuse to work their games. All of the crews in the area that are worth their salt do the same thing. The coach doesn't see a good officiating crew until the playoffs, and by then he's usually more evenly matched with his opponents.
Old Fri Oct 13, 2006, 10:58am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Had a game with a team losing 0-40 mid way thru the 4th. Losing team ends up marching down to B's 3 yard line on 3rd down.

Then they fumble.

Then A player is kinda going for the ball, team B player kinda knocks him outta the way to get the ball. I decide to flag for interference on a loose ball. Penalty: A 1D @ PF. It was a bit of a stretch of a call, and I knew it.

They ended up scoring. Winning team scored one more time. Final score: 47-6. No harm done, team A was happy to score a TD.
Old Fri Oct 13, 2006, 11:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
Had a game with a team losing 0-40 mid way thru the 4th. Losing team ends up marching down to B's 3 yard line on 3rd down.

Then they fumble.

Then A player is kinda going for the ball, team B player kinda knocks him outta the way to get the ball. I decide to flag for interference on a loose ball. Penalty: A 1D @ PF. It was a bit of a stretch of a call, and I knew it.

They ended up scoring. Winning team scored one more time. Final score: 47-6. No harm done, team A was happy to score a TD.
As said earlier we can't stretch the rules and impose on our integrality. As hard as it may seem we just have to stand by and watch this travesty of a game and a coach that has no business working with kids. It is our job to enforce sportsmanship within the framework of the rules given to us by the NFHS and our own state. This has generated a lot a discussion around the country and hopefully the next coach that decides to do something like this thinks twice.
Old Fri Oct 13, 2006, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

Did the guy really say that?

Sportsmanship should never, never, never, never never be damned. Ever. It was true with the "Florida Flop" of 1971 and it's true today.

Some guys need to be b!tchslapped.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Fri Oct 13, 2006, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverAndBack

Did the guy really say that?

Sportsmanship should never, never, never, never never be damned. Ever. It was true with the "Florida Flop" of 1971 and it's true today.

Some guys need to be b!tchslapped.
More than some!
Old Fri Oct 13, 2006, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

I mean, don't get me wrong....I don't think there's anything we could actually do as officials in the context of the game itself. In our state, the clock would already be running continuously, but I can't think of anything else we could do.

I have had partners actually tell me "see if we can't get a holding penalty in here against this team soon," but I refused. I'm not going to go there. If I see one, I'll flag it, but I'm not going to make one up.

Being impartial means being impartial, even if it burns sometime.

But I'd hold that coach in much lower regard in the future, that's for sure. And if I could avoid doing his games, I would. I'm not sure that's a realistic option in that part of the country, where there may not be a whole lot of officials in and around those small towns (just a guess on my part - I have no idea).
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Fri Oct 13, 2006, 01:03pm
Broadcaster

What is the definition of an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty? Could you flag something like not returning a punt just to rack up yards as "unsportsmanlike?" Now that I think about it, you probably can't get into "intent," but if there is unsportsmanlike conduct on the field in this instance, there would be an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty for it.

Or maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part. I would have loved to see the running back and head coach ejected for unsportsmanlike conduct. But that would probably open up a can of worms unnecessarily.
Old Fri Oct 13, 2006, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverAndBack
And if I could avoid doing his games, I would. I'm not sure that's a realistic option in that part of the country, where there may not be a whole lot of officials in and around those small towns (just a guess on my part - I have no idea).
I wonder if that's true. In fact, if officials refused to work his games, and there was a limited supply of officials ...
Old Fri Oct 13, 2006, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceoflg
What is the definition of an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty? Could you flag something like not returning a punt just to rack up yards as "unsportsmanlike?" Now that I think about it, you probably can't get into "intent," but if there is unsportsmanlike conduct on the field in this instance, there would be an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty for it.

Or maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part. I would have loved to see the running back and head coach ejected for unsportsmanlike conduct. But that would probably open up a can of worms unnecessarily.
2 problems. The RB was not exhibiting UC - so it would not be appropriate to penalize him. Also - penalizing them for UC for not returning a punt would only HELP their cause - remember, they were trying to make the field as long as possible for this kid.

Surprised the OTHER coach didn't take matters into his own hands. Why punt - ever? Why limit themselves to 11 on the field? Incur the 15 yard penalty for IP if necessary (perhaps explaining what you're doing so you don't get the normal DB IS instead). Heck, put 15 guys out there - you stop the kid's run if they decline the penalty, and you shorten the field if they take it, and this kid doesn't get his yards. I don't see this as any less sportsmanlike than the offending team letting punts roll. Intentionally false start or DOG when on offense, running the clock (surely in THIS case the R wouldn't invoke the "clock at the snap" thing).

I don't know ... just thinking out loud.
Old Fri Oct 13, 2006, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

In Connecticut we have the so called 50 point rule but that has done little to keep scores down. We do not have a Mercy Rule...however we as R's have been known to run the clock when we shouldn't which basically means the "old timing rules". But, no we don't get together and try to figure out what fouls we should call. The idea is survival...to get everyone out healthy and the like. There is nothing good that is going to happen the longer we are on the field.