The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 16, 2004, 10:04pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

We had a very interesting situation happen two weeks ago during a local tournament. On the last night of the tournament my crew arrived at the tournament site to be greeted at the front gate with a gentleman handing out a free gift from the tournament sponsors. The free gifts were signs for the fans which said "GOOD CALL" on one side and "BAD CALL" on the other side. Granted the initial reaction was funny, this situation could have festered into something beyond laughter!! In the wake of some outrageous acts of unsportsmanship, can we sweep this situation under the rug or approach administration? Fans, coaches, and referees should lead by example. What example should we set?
Old Thu Dec 16, 2004, 10:09pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by OFISHE8
We had a very interesting situation happen two weeks ago during a local tournament. On the last night of the tournament my crew arrived at the tournament site to be greeted at the front gate with a gentleman handing out a free gift from the tournament sponsors. The free gifts were signs for the fans which said "GOOD CALL" on one side and "BAD CALL" on the other side. Granted the initial reaction was funny, this situation could have festered into something beyond laughter!! In the wake of some outrageous acts of unsportsmanship, can we sweep this situation under the rug or approach administration? Fans, coaches, and referees should lead by example. What example should we set?

Just ignore the signs unless on of them ends up on the court.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Dec 16, 2004, 10:14pm
Official Forum Member

The problem in this case is the administration. They have control over what is said or stated on signs at their events. At my HS, we are not allowed to chant anything "offensive" to the other team or the officials. If students do so, they are removed, and adults have been asked to not come back as well if they are too bad. That is not to say that our fans don't yell at officials, cuz they do, but it is not as bad as most places. Last week and our high school game the opposing HS kids were chanting "bull****" about an officials call and nothing was done about it. 100% administration problem!!! The administration should not have allowed the signs and that is all there is to it. For someone who says, they didn't know it, it is their job to know it and if they are doing their job, they would have known it.
Old Thu Dec 16, 2004, 11:02pm
Official Forum Member

Are signs allowed in your states?

In New Jersey, signs are not permitted in the gym for high school games. I would absolutely go to the administration and have the signs removed.
Old Thu Dec 16, 2004, 11:27pm
Official Forum Member

Wow. That's a new low, I can't believe that they're getting away with this.

Now, having said this, did the fans use the signs at all during the game??? Just curious
Old Fri Dec 17, 2004, 12:04am
Official Forum Member

And which sign did they use the most?
Old Fri Dec 17, 2004, 12:18am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TXMATTHEW05
Talking

To be honest...

I find it kind of funny. It'd be better if there were, say, different colors on either side. If they could just flash those instead of screaming!

I'm sorry, I just got a kick out of that, I'd love to see it!
Old Fri Dec 17, 2004, 12:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by OFISHE8
Couldn't care less. Since I don't look into the crowd during a game, I'd notice that a lot less than if they were vocal about a call.

Schools around here would never allow that, but that's an administrative issue. If it bugs you, have it worked through your local officials association or A.D. association.

Z
Old Fri Dec 17, 2004, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TXMATTHEW05
To be honest...

I find it kind of funny. It'd be better if there were, say, different colors on either side. If they could just flash those instead of screaming!

I'm sorry, I just got a kick out of that, I'd love to see it!
Perhaps they should've handed out cards with big numbers from 1-10. Then they could've rated the officials' performance.:-P