The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 11, 2006, 06:58am
Official Forum Member

Best way I found to shut up coaches was by saying to my organization, "Sure I'll be umpire."

I ain't heard a coach since.
Old Wed Oct 11, 2006, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Normally I am an umpire, but on the JV/Frosh level I take a wing spot to get experience out there. Last night as LJ in a Freshmen B game the D-coach for home team liked to spend time on the field. I asked him to back up a couple times, then, on a probable pass play, he was actually standing right to my right, on the field, his feet just inside the line just like mine. Loudly enough for all coaches in the area to hear, I simply said (without turning) "Coach, I don't want to run you over"... He looked up at me, realized my size and quickly said sorry, and stepped back. With me at 6'3", 290 pounds (solid muscle of course ), he didn't want to see me do that to him. No problems with him after that.
Old Wed Oct 11, 2006, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougar729
"Sorry, coach I must have missed that one, the scoreboard got in my way."
I love this one!

The best part is that it translates easily to several other sports!
Old Wed Oct 11, 2006, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

The head coach on my sideline complains to me that a tackler on the opposite sideline grabbed his runner's facemask and that the headlinesman didn't call it.

My reply, "You saw that facemask from here? I don't know how he missed it."
Old Thu Oct 12, 2006, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

I was a LJ years ago. The coach on my side questioned a call so I said "coach, I know that's right because I read the rule book last night". He thought for a moment and said "well, as long as it was last night..."
Old Fri Oct 13, 2006, 08:51am

Here's one I didn't use. It was a 7th grade game when I first started and the coach was screaming about something. I just about told him to knock it off you're only a 7th grade coach. But I didn't because I realized that I was only a 7th grade referee.

Thats a good subject for another thread. Things we would like to say but don't.
Old Fri Oct 13, 2006, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

REPLY: Years ago a friend of mine was the local HS varsity baseball coach. He had been getting on the plate ump pretty hard about his ball-strike calls. Finally, the ump had enough. He came over to the bench and sat right next to my friend. He didn't say a word to Ted, but yelled out to the pitcher, "Play ball" The pitcher looked over to the bench confused. The ump repeated, "Play ball!" Ted asked the ump, "What the he__ are you doing?" To which the ump calmly replied, "Obviously, you can see the strikezone better from here on the bench. I want to give it a try."

waltjp...any guesses as to whom this was?
Old Fri Oct 13, 2006, 10:25am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob M.
REPLY: Years ago a friend of mine was the local HS varsity baseball coach. He had been getting on the plate ump pretty hard about his ball-strike calls. Finally, the ump had enough. He came over to the bench and sat right next to my friend. He didn't say a word to Ted, but yelled out to the pitcher, "Play ball" The pitcher looked over to the bench confused. The ump repeated, "Play ball!" Ted asked the ump, "What the he__ are you doing?" To which the ump calmly replied, "Obviously, you can see the strikezone better from here on the bench. I want to give it a try."

waltjp...any guesses as to whom this was?
We had a guy do that in basketball about 10 years ago. Funny stuff.
Old Fri Oct 13, 2006, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

One of my fellow officials used this one. The head coach had been riding him all game long about missed calls. No profanity but some pretty derogatory stuff. After he had enough, he went up to the coach and said "Coach, are your assistants pretty good coaches?" Coach replies 'Yeah, why?" The official said "Because they're taking over for you if I hear one more word." It might not be recommended, but it did the trick. Nothing else from the coach for the rest of the game.
Old Fri Oct 13, 2006, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

I always liked this one: A coach was yelling at how bad one of my partners was. My partner just turned and looked at him and said, "If I was any good, I wouldn't be working your level!"

I am also a hockey official. This one coach was badgering my partner over missed calls. After awhile, every time my partner skated by his bench, he would critique the coaching. He would say things like "Your kids need work on passing the puck", "I would have pulled those kids off the ice sooner", "Coach, you need more pressure on the puck!" After a few minutes of this the coach just looked at my partner and said, "I get your point." He was quiet the rest of the game.

Scott
Old Sun Oct 15, 2006, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedex
I always liked this one: A coach was yelling at how bad one of my partners was. My partner just turned and looked at him and said, "If I was any good, I wouldn't be working your level!"

I am also a hockey official. This one coach was badgering my partner over missed calls. After awhile, every time my partner skated by his bench, he would critique the coaching. He would say things like "Your kids need work on passing the puck", "I would have pulled those kids off the ice sooner", "Coach, you need more pressure on the puck!" After a few minutes of this the coach just looked at my partner and said, "I get your point." He was quiet the rest of the game.

Scott
This is genius....I wonder if I could get away with this in football? Gonna keep this one in my pocket. Might pull it out someday.
Old Sun Oct 15, 2006, 10:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripe
One of my fellow officials used this one. The head coach had been riding him all game long about missed calls. No profanity but some pretty derogatory stuff. After he had enough, he went up to the coach and said "Coach, are your assistants pretty good coaches?" Coach replies 'Yeah, why?" The official said "Because they're taking over for you if I hear one more word." It might not be recommended, but it did the trick. Nothing else from the coach for the rest of the game.
"You better tell them to move into the on-deck circle." OR "I think you better pick up the phone and call the bull pen and get someone up."