The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 18, 2005, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

What are/were the 4 lines extending from the sidelines approximately 4-5 feet into the court located approx. 10 feet either side of the division line?

The court diagram in the rules book does not show them, but many of the gyms I go to have them painted on the court.

I thought at one time this had something to do with closely guarded / 5 seconds rule.

USAF Academy Values
Old Fri Nov 18, 2005, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Volleyball lines? Gyms are used for several sports, not only backetball.
Old Fri Nov 18, 2005, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

Those are the 28 foot hash marks that were previously used in situations where the offenisve team, if they were behind, was required to force action. The rule no longer exists.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri Nov 18, 2005, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to OldCoachNewRef
Lines

When I played (too long ago) if the offense did not break this line after 5 seconds (I think they had to have the lead in the game), a violation could be called. There was no 5 second closely guarded back then (at least I don't remember it). This was in the early to mid 70's.
Old Fri Nov 18, 2005, 03:31pm
Official Forum Member

THe 28' mark is now where the coach's box should start
Old Fri Nov 18, 2005, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Kelvin green
the coach's box
No such thing!!!
Old Fri Nov 18, 2005, 05:00pm
Huck Finn

When I was in high school, we lost to Marion Indiana because of this rule. We had the lead and the PG didn't advance the ball. That Marion team had Jay Edwards and Lindon Jones. If you aren't from Indiana or the surrounding states it might not ring a bell but those 3 years they won state were known as Purple Reign (their school colors). They played us, Richmond, 2 of the 3 years. Too bad they went and messed up the state with classes for different sized schools.
Old Fri Nov 18, 2005, 07:11pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by tomegun
When I was in high school, we lost to Marion Indiana because of this rule. We had the lead and the PG didn't advance the ball. That Marion team had Jay Edwards and Lindon Jones. If you aren't from Indiana or the surrounding states it might not ring a bell but those 3 years they won state were known as Purple Reign (their school colors). They played us, Richmond, 2 of the 3 years. Too bad they went and messed up the state with classes for different sized schools.
Have we already done the "You're from Richmond?!?!" thing? I went to Earlham! And my brother lives there, and his daughters go to RHS and my niece is going to be valedictorian this year. Holy Cow! Did you grow up there? What years were those described above?
Old Fri Nov 18, 2005, 10:05pm
Official Forum Member

To expand on Tony's correct answer, the current front court was divided in two. One was the front court and the other was the fore court (if I remember correctly). Now which was which?

Mregor
Old Fri Nov 18, 2005, 10:29pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Mregor
To expand on Tony's correct answer, the current front court was divided in two. One was the front court and the other was the fore court (if I remember correctly). Now which was which?

Mregor
That old rule had the front court divided into "fore court" and "mid-court" areas. The mid-court area was the area from the 28' line to center. The fore-court was from the 28' line to the endline. The team behind in the score was always responsible for action. If the score was tied, the defense was responsible for action. Being responsible for action meant:
- if you were on offense, you had to move the ball below the 28' line into the fore-court after being warned. If you then went back into the mid-court area with the ball, a new 5-second count was started.
- if you were on defense and the offense was holding the ball out in the mid-court area, you had to send a defender out there to get within 6' of the player with the ball within 5 seconds after you were warned. If the offensive team had 2 players in the mid-court area, you had to send 2 defenders out.

The procedure and warnings worked like this iirc:
- if someone was holding the ball out in the mid-court area without doing anything with it, you:
1) Visibly counted to 10
2) Pointed to the team responsible for action- either offense or defense- pointed in the direction that they had to go, and hollered "play ball".
3) Then you started a five count. If the team responsible for action didn't do what they were supposed to do within 5 seconds- as above, they got a T.

Oe something like that....

This rule evolved into the 5-second closely guarded rule that we use now.

Old Sat Nov 19, 2005, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by Mregor
This rule evolved
I hope you haven't offended our brethren from Kansas. Are you saying rules aren't intelligently designed? :-)