The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Good Lines to use on coaches (https://forum.officiating.com/football/28737-good-lines-use-coaches.html)

cougar729 Sun Oct 08, 2006 02:23am

Good Lines to use on coaches

Share some lines you all say to coaches that leave them speechless.

Example: Here is one from the other night, Coach is complaining about a petty foul, and he is already winning big, wing guy says to him, "Sorry, coach I must have missed that one, the scoreboard got in my way."

Home team coach wants a measurement on an obvious 1st down, wing man says, "Coach, is your field legally marked?" Coach says, "Well yeah", wingman says, "Then its a 1st down, move the chains."

CruiseMan Sun Oct 08, 2006 02:42am

Had a JV game last week where the team on my sideline was winning 35-6 in the 4th and was still trying to throw...a wasn't being very successful at it.

I sidled up to the coach and very quietly said.."Coach, you do realize that incomplete passes stop the clock right?"

He got the message...:D

Forksref Sun Oct 08, 2006 05:20pm

Coach is screaming about a call. "Coach, do you want a timeout?" That usually quiets him. ;)

bluezebra Sun Oct 08, 2006 06:34pm

When a coach wanted a foul assessed by NFL rules, "Coach, that's on Sunday. This is Friday night".

Bob

waltjp Mon Oct 09, 2006 07:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluezebra
When a coach wanted a foul assessed by NFL rules, "Coach, that's on Sunday. This is Friday night".

Bob

I've used a similar line on a coach. As I was walking away I could hear an assitant ask why we'd only call that on Sunday. :confused:

JasonTX Mon Oct 09, 2006 09:20am

Not a line used on a coach but it did get him in a better mood with a laugh. The coach was letting the LJ have it over a call. Finally the LJ had enough of this coach and yelled to the Ref to "come over and get you some of this."

mcrowder Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:56pm

From my 1st season...

7th grade B-game played on a Monday night. Really sloppy.

I was getting 9 kinds of hell from a particular coach, who was losing huge, but I was too new to do anything about it. Finally during a timeout where he's chewing me out, veteran VERY-down-south Referee comes over to join the "discussion".

"Coach, we've had enough. Stop acting like you think you're on Monday Night Football." He then looks at his watch, and says, "Nevermind coach - this is Monday Night Football... you go right ahead."

Got the guy laughing at least, and off my backside the rest of the way.

BigFarns Mon Oct 09, 2006 05:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forksref
Coach is screaming about a call. "Coach, do you want a timeout?" That usually quiets him. ;)

I used this one once at a JH game...and the coach says back "But I don't have a red flag, how can I do that?" I just laughed and said something like "this ain't the NFL bud." He must of been a bit embarrased cause he shut up the rest of the game

schmitty1973 Mon Oct 09, 2006 05:47pm

One time the ball came loose after the player was down and the coach said to me "Thats kind of a quick whistle there isn't it?" I said "Yeah, once his knee hit the ground I quickly blew my whistle"

HLin NC Mon Oct 09, 2006 07:24pm

1A/2A conference game- good highly-ranked team at

a school that has had some rough years but is putting together a decent season and improving.

Ranked school HC is all over our arses all night from the opening kick-off- didn't like the chains off the sideline, wanted us to call 12 breaking the huddle (we're Fed), and middle of the 4th quarter when they finally get a decent lead he starts telling me we should be starting the clock on the ready after change of possession.

My reply- "Coach, if you want the game called your way, we need to move to Saturday. We can both make a lot more money."

Ahhhh, blessed silence:cool:

eprov Tue Oct 10, 2006 07:43am

In a HS varsity game one assistant is screaming at my BJ most of the first half. The BJ walked up the assistant and asked if he was the Head Coach, of course he said no, so the BJ then said please be quiet I don't talk to caddies. Left the coach speechless

bluezebra Tue Oct 10, 2006 01:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JasonTX
Not a line used on a coach but it did get him in a better mood with a laugh. The coach was letting the LJ have it over a call. Finally the LJ had enough of this coach and yelled to the Ref to "come over and get you some of this."

..."come over and get you some of this.

Where do they speak like this?

Bob

Striker991 Tue Oct 10, 2006 01:36pm

Quote:

Bob

The quote was from JasonTX...maybe Texas?

g

JasonTX Tue Oct 10, 2006 02:34pm

Quote:

Bob

How would you non-Texans say it?

AZ_REF Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JasonTX
How would you non-Texans say it?

Come over, and you get some of this.

Or:
Please come hither, and partake in this excellent verbal tharshing this fine young lad is allowing me to be the subject of.