The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 04, 2006, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

Is This Blocked Kick Legal?

Check out this video of a blocked extra point.

http://journals.aol.com/dcsportsguy/...-this-kid/3011

Any penalties?

Is it illegal to hurdle a lineman?
Is it illegal to launch yourself off the center's back?
Is it illegal to launch yourself off of ANY o-lineman's back?
Old Wed Oct 04, 2006, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

Illegal 9.4.3D NFHS. No Hurdling. 15 yds personal foul. In this case 1/2 the distance and replay the down.
Old Wed Oct 04, 2006, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

I only saw it once but I think it was legal. It looked like the guy went through the gap and used his arms to propel himself through.
Old Wed Oct 04, 2006, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

athletic though

while very athletic it is very illegal in a lot of different areas...you might be able to get away with no hurdling by saying the centers hands were touching the ground...I wouldn't however take this route. If you do take that position, he does put his hand on a teammates shoulder and you could say he uses that to gain leverage, then he also "stands" on the center in the process of jumping him.....good try though LOL
Old Wed Oct 04, 2006, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

Are his hands touching the ground ever? If he's snapping, his hands are on the ball, he then snaps the ball, and steps forward without his hands touching. That would seem to indicate hurdling.
Old Wed Oct 04, 2006, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

I doubt it

CSHS I doubt that they touch, it was just a if you really want to try and make it legal (which I wouldn't ) you could conceivably "make" his hands touch the ground...
Old Wed Oct 04, 2006, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

I went back and watched it a few more times. It might be hurdling but I would bet in a game I would not have called it - mainly I would have been so suprised by it, I wouldn't have thought of hurdling until later. I might warn the kid but unless I was 100% positive it was hurdling then no call.
Old Wed Oct 04, 2006, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

REPLY: Let's put the judgment of whether or not this as hurdling aside and answer your questions:

Any penalties?
  1. Is it illegal to hurdle a lineman? Yes...it's illegal to hurdle any opponent. Just make sure that you read NF 2-21 to fully understand what hurdling is.
  2. Is it illegal to launch yourself off the center's back? Yes. It's a personal foul to position yourself on the shoulders or body of an opponent or teammate in order to gain an advantage.
  3. Is it illegal to launch yourself off of ANY o-lineman's back? Same
Old Wed Oct 04, 2006, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob M.
REPLY: Let's put the judgment of whether or not this as hurdling aside and answer your questions:

Any penalties?
  1. Is it illegal to hurdle a lineman? Yes...it's illegal to hurdle any opponent. Just make sure that you read NF 2-21 to fully understand what hurdling is.
  2. Is it illegal to launch yourself off the center's back? Yes. It's a personal foul to position yourself on the shoulders or body of an opponent or teammate in order to gain an advantage.
  3. Is it illegal to launch yourself off of ANY o-lineman's back? Same
I can go with the hurdling but I don't agree that vaulting on jumping while using my arms to push up against another player in order to get hight would be "positioning".
Old Wed Oct 04, 2006, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim D
I can go with the hurdling but I don't agree that vaulting on jumping while using my arms to push up against another player in order to get hight would be "positioning".
REPLY: You're probably right about that. I was thinking more of a case where a player ues an opponent or teammate as a platform from which to launch himself.
Old Wed Oct 04, 2006, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

You only have to see the video once to see this was a hurdle and a foul in both NF and NCAA codes.

As that Wendy's lady used to say, "Where's the flag".

I'd love to see a down the line view that the wingman had of this.
Old Wed Oct 04, 2006, 07:43pm
Official Forum Member

My eyes must be going. I looked at it and thought he leaped over the center without touching him, which made it even more amazing to me.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Wed Oct 04, 2006, 07:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob M.
Yes...it's illegal to hurdle any opponent.

I'm a tad confused. I've seen many times when i played where running backs would jump the pile on the goal line and no penalty was called. Yet, from reading 2-21, it would seem like this should be illegal.

Can you guys clarify?
Old Wed Oct 04, 2006, 08:33pm
Official Forum Member

Exclamation Rule book inconsitent

Interestingly enough, the rule book is not consistent on the issue of hurdling. In 2-21 it says hurdling is an "attempt..." Which means he can make no contact with the opponent and it is still considered hurdling.

In 9-4-3d hurdling is a foul. Section 9-4 is titled "ILLEGAL PERSONAL CONTACT." If the player (hurdler) does not make contact, it is still a foul, even though the foul is listed under the "ILLEGAL PERSONAL CONTACT" section.

In 2-21 it is interesting to see that a player who is lying on the ground could be jumped and it is not considered hurdling because something other than his hand or foot is contacting the ground.

Thanks for bringing up this subject. This is interesting stuff.
Old Wed Oct 04, 2006, 10:39pm
Official Forum Member

Seems pretty obvious on the replay that its legal. Both of the snappers hands are on the ground, so by rule it is not hurdling.

"Hurdling is an attempt by a player to jump with one or both feet or knees foremost over an opponent who is contacting the ground with no part of his body except one or both feet" (2-21)

In the case of a goal line play, the players on the ground can be legally hurdled, but only if something other than their feet is touching the ground, otherwise, while not often called, its illegal.