The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 06, 2005, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

FED game last night, 2 man crew, I was BU. Nobody on...Fly ball between center and right fielders. We discussed coverage in pre-game and this is my ball. I go out as the center fielder makes a "Sportscenter" laid out attempt at the catch. My last view of the ball is as it goes clearly into his glove inches off the ground. He then rolls over on top of the glove (the glove hand is under him, then on the fence side) with his body completely blocking me off from any view of the ball, glove, or hands. He stays on the ground in a fetal type position for what seems too long (but makes no motion of digging for the ball, or picking up a loose ball off the ground) then stands up and shows me the ball in his hand.

I call a catch, and the opposing coach goes nuts.

The last view I had of the ball was in the glove. I never saw the ball loose, and the player never gave any indication that he lost control of the ball. That's why I called the out.

Now this is pure individual judgement, but....is there ever a specified amount of time that goes by before you start thinking that the ball was loose, or was trapped, or do you always go by sight alone?
Old Fri May 06, 2005, 09:15am
Official Forum Member

I don't think you can assume the ball being loose because hes on the ground. Maybe he's shaken up, maybe he knocked the wind out of himself. I would say call what you see, not what may have happened.
Old Fri May 06, 2005, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

Can't see it...can't call it.
Old Fri May 06, 2005, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

Sounds like you did everything by the book. Remember, no matter how clear it is to you, the offensive coach is gonna want a hit. His view is always " better " than yours. Based on your description, you handled it perfectly. It went clearly into his glove and you saw nothing to indicate that he was fumbling for control.
Well Done !
Sheffield Lake, Ohio
Old Fri May 06, 2005, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

Sight and instincts

Quote:
Originally posted by blueump
FED game last night, 2 man crew, I was BU. Nobody on...Fly ball between center and right fielders. We discussed coverage in pre-game and this is my ball. I go out as the center fielder makes a "Sportscenter" laid out attempt at the catch. My last view of the ball is as it goes clearly into his glove inches off the ground. He then rolls over on top of the glove (the glove hand is under him, then on the fence side) with his body completely blocking me off from any view of the ball, glove, or hands. He stays on the ground in a fetal type position for what seems too long (but makes no motion of digging for the ball, or picking up a loose ball off the ground) then stands up and shows me the ball in his hand.

The last view I had of the ball was in the glove. I never saw the ball loose, and the player never gave any indication that he lost control of the ball. That's why I called the out.

Now this is pure individual judgement, but....is there ever a specified amount of time that goes by before you start thinking that the ball was loose, or was trapped, or do you always go by sight alone?
You have to call what you see. That's the name of the game in umpiring.

You have to base that on sight and instincts.

That's why many umpires who might not have played the game or played very little sometimes struggle with umpiring, they just don't have the instincts like you described.

If he had dropped it there probably would have been some movement or arms etc., and many times the reaction of the other fielders will help in making your determination.

Sounds like a good job of umpiring for two man.

Thanks
David
Old Fri May 06, 2005, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

There is one other thing that might have helped you in this situation. Since you went out (and now had no runner responsibilities), you could have run toward the player after he landed to get a closer look. By the time you signal your call, it appears that you were "right on top of the play" and were sure. Even if you still weren't 100% sure, you had the best look possible and hopefully less of a beef from the coach.
Old Fri May 06, 2005, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by blueump

Amount of time is not a factor, what you saw is. If he made a diving catch he was most likely shaken up and needed a moment to gather himself. If you saw the ball go in the glove and never saw the ball on the ground or any attempt to pick it up then it was a catch if he gets up with it in his glove. Good call.
Old Fri May 06, 2005, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

It's entirely possible he WAS fumbling the ball... and it's entirely possible that in that fumbling, it still didn't hit the ground. If you never saw it hit the ground, you can't call this a hit. You did good.