The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 02, 2006, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

Gloves

Ok guys, I already did the search thing, and didn't find exactly what I wanted to know so here goes.

Has anyone seen the new under armour gloves?? The palm side of the glove is almost latex. In my opinion it greatly enhances the ability to catch a ball, but they have a tag in them from nfhs and ncaa. In the last week, mostly because I was umpiring when I usualy am the R, I have had a some players take these gloves off....anyone else see them and have the same opinion? Or a different opinion LOL
Old Mon Oct 02, 2006, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

If they have the NFHS label stating they are manufactured per spec. and you judge that they have not been modified, then they are legal per 1-5-2-c and they can play with them.
Old Mon Oct 02, 2006, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

If the coach says his team is legally equiped, I'm OK with them. Seriously, I wouldn't even look for a label after that. Knowing they have an approved label, what is your concern?
Old Mon Oct 02, 2006, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

my concerns

I have seen NCAA tags in gloves that are other than grey, this leads me to believe that the stamp is not necessarily accurate. If you have ever had the opportunity to touch one of these gloves, there is no doubt that it enhances the ability to hold on to the ball.
Old Mon Oct 02, 2006, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

Have seen these several times this year but since there is no "added" material or foreign substance to get the "tackiness" (it's actually the vinyl/synthetic material the palm is made of) IMO they are legal per NCAA rules.
Old Mon Oct 02, 2006, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

Roy,
The gloves I am talking about are actually not legal as per NCAA rules because they were black/blue, and that is part of my point. They had and NCAA tag, but are clearly not legal in NCAA rules because they are not grey, which is the only allowable color. With that said, since they will stamp things that are clearly not legal by color, what is to say that the vinyl is what the NFHS and NCAA had in mind in regards to legal gloves. Since you have seen them, do you think that the vinyl aids in holding on to the ball???
Old Mon Oct 02, 2006, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

This is one of many reasons why I'm not an Umpire....

Personally, unless they're obviously modified I'd have to let it go if the label/stamp is there. I know that there are gloves out there they may not be per spec but I can't bend the rule. The label is there and it's not modified plus the coach says they're legally equipped then they can play with them by rule.

So your two options are to let them play, and if you're truly concerned about the unfair advantage, then I think the correct action is to draft a letter with your experiences with the gloves to your commissioner and have him take it to the state athletics association and they' make a ruling (or not).

Otherwise, you can deem them to be modified and disallow them. The problem here is that you're accusing someone of breaking the rule and in essence cheating so you better be prepared to back that up.

in short, let them play and if the opposing coach has a problem, let them fight it. We have enough problems without worrying about this. You're enforcing the rule...end of story IMO.
Old Mon Oct 02, 2006, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

That tag "NF/NCAA specifications" means only it met some kind of testing standard for tackiness. It has nothing to do with color requirements such as the NCAA has.
A separate rule covers color in that code.
Old Mon Oct 02, 2006, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

IMO there's no question that the surface of the gloves is more "receptive" to catching the ball than a plain leather glove. I think the issue of color is due to the fact that although the gloves themselves meet NF and NCAA requirements (according to the tags), NCAA additionally requires that gloves be gray in color and the last I knew NF does not have the gray only restriction. I've never seen the "colored" gloves in a HS game that I've had (as the U I would not allow player to wear them) but several receivers in the EFL (semi-pro) have the colored versions and we don't enforce the gray color only restriction in the EFL.

I view this as similar to the ball restrictions we have under MIAA rules in MA. If the ball has an NFL logo we can't use it in a MA HS game even if it is the same ball mfg by the same "official" manufacturer as specified in the MIAA rules.
Old Mon Oct 02, 2006, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

I'm curious, but does this ball with the NFL logo have the two white strips on it as required for NF or NCAA play?
Old Mon Oct 02, 2006, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

Why Not

I don't understand if the gloves have the NCAA/NFHS tag and there is no requirment to have grey gloves why would you not let the players wear them. In my opinion it is not our job to make up rules but only to enforce the rules that are there. These gloves do meet the NFHS code and thus they should be able to be worn, when we do not let them it only gives officials a bad name.
Old Mon Oct 02, 2006, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

"I'm curious, but does this ball with the NFL logo have the two white strips on it as required for NF or NCAA play?"

This rule applied only in the state playoff games and the same ball in past years had a version with stripes with NFL logo and a version with stripes without NFL logo.
Old Tue Oct 03, 2006, 08:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougman86
I don't understand if the gloves have the NCAA/NFHS tag and there is no requirment to have grey gloves why would you not let the players wear them. In my opinion it is not our job to make up rules but only to enforce the rules that are there. These gloves do meet the NFHS code and thus they should be able to be worn, when we do not let them it only gives officials a bad name.
Coug, my point about the tag is this. The NCAA requires grey gloves. The Under Armour gloves have a NFHS/NCAA "tag" in them. They are not grey, they obviously don't meet NCAA standards, at least for color. Can we trust that the NFHS tag really is legit as well?? I understand the earlier statement about the tag only referring to tackiness, but am not sure I am in 100% agreement.

Roy, if you have not seen these gloves you need to get a look at a pair. The palm feels like latex. I have never had a pair on my hands, but just feeling them, they are a lot better than leather for handling a football.
Old Tue Oct 03, 2006, 11:15pm
Official Forum Member

Alot of the gloves are coming out with the NHFS/NCAA stamp on the coloured gloves but add "Grey gloves meet NCAA specifications" on the packaging. I know Cutters have that as well as the Adidas gloves.
Old Wed Oct 04, 2006, 04:51am
Official Forum Member

I've seen the "new" Under Armour gloves (in solid gray) with the same NHFS/NCAA tag that I've seen on the colored gloves. While the surface material is very tacky (something like the tacky bottom of those gel insoles) IMO there is nothing "added" to the gloves since the tacky material is the actual palm of the glove.

The gray ones like I've seen appear to be in compliance with the NCAA rules. The colored ones I've seen are the same materials but would not be legal in a game governed by NCAA rules.

Unless the NCAA specifically puts the UA gloves on a "banned" list, IMO as long as they are gray they are OK.