The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 01, 2006, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Question Mechanics Help

Looking for suggestions on mechanics to cover this play from Saturdays H.S. Varsity game. Each team is 3-1 with playoff hopes. Score is 10-7, middle of the 3rd quarter.
Team "A", (down by 3 pts), lines up for a long field goal (LOS = B30).
R is behind and wide of kicker/holder positioned in middle of the field.
LJ is on the LOS.
BJ and LM are under the goal posts.
Snap goes directly to the KICKER who punts the ball OB at about the 15 yd line on LM's sideline.

How do you cover this? Who is moving where?
Old Sun Oct 01, 2006, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

What is an LM? Head LInesman?

We always have the LJ back under the upright on his side of the field. But either way, I disagree with Ed. Kids can bust a 47 yarder and if its clearly short, you've got time to move up if needed.
Old Sun Oct 01, 2006, 04:02pm
Official Forum Member

In Iowa any kick where the line of scrimmage is the 25 yard line or further we do as follows:

White hat facing the holder.

The wing officials stay on the line of scrimmage>

Ump stays at home obviously and the Back judge has the goal posts.

The wing officials now can ref as a normal scrimmage play/kick
Old Sun Oct 01, 2006, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBo
In Iowa any kick where the line of scrimmage is the 25 yard line or further we do as follows:

White hat facing the holder.

The wing officials stay on the line of scrimmage>

Ump stays at home obviously and the Back judge has the goal posts.

The wing officials now can ref as a normal scrimmage play/kick
This is similar to what we do in Arizona. In a 4-man crew which is what we usually work in our area, the Line Judge has the goal posts. The question I have is how does the L or B position himself. I setup in the middle and move to whatever post the kick is heading towards. I was told by a White Hat on another crew that I should stay in position and rule from there.
Old Sun Oct 01, 2006, 04:23pm
Never Stop Learning

Deleted my last post and will re-word. In our area we are asked to have the BJ on the middle of the goal post and the LJ on the goal line on any FG attempt from outside the 20 yard line. I realize that this is not book mechanics but this is what our local association asks us to do. By the book both the BJ and LJ or HL(whoever is looking at the front of the holder) should be on the goal post and if the kick breaks down into a running play or pass or scrimmage kick in your case. The HL or LJ which ever is back should move along the end line towards their vacated side to rule on side line. Next move should be towards goal line to assist. Don't always agree with our local mechanics but when in Rome do as the Romans do.

Last edited by Ed Maeder; Sun Oct 01, 2006 at 04:26pm.
Old Mon Oct 02, 2006, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

Since you are already back there, treat it like a punt. LJ will assume HL punt responsibilities of the LOS. BJ and HL will make sure that the punt does not cross the goal line, hustling on the field on the respective sides of the field. The LJ would normally be getting back deep for two of deep punt coverage, just now you are hustling towards the LOS instead of away from it.

Now with this play, the referee is responsible for knowing where the punt went out of bounds with the chop signal. Verbal communication could not hurt here with the R telling the HL where the punt went out at for the spot.

Make sense?
Old Mon Oct 02, 2006, 04:27pm
Get away from me, Steve.

My crew puts two under the uprights. Always, in 5-man. This season we switched to putting the wing at my back (I'm the R) underneath. On one end of the field, it's the LJ. On the other, it's the L.

4-man, we use the book mechanics, but I'm toying with putting the U under with the LJ.