The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 17, 2005, 07:45pm
Official Forum Member

Can someone give detailed NBA mechanics including reporting (signals), rotations, coverage and whatever else there is?
Old Thu Nov 17, 2005, 09:41pm
Official Forum Member

The NBA has an official's manual just like FED you could not posssibly put it all in a post here. There are 2 and 3 peron mech. If you have access to an NCAA womens official's manual it would be darn close if you cant get a NBA one
Old Fri Nov 18, 2005, 08:20am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
The coverages and rotations (as well as some other procedures, like last shot, "lock down", etc.) are similar between NBA and NCAAW, but the switches are different. The reporting is also different b/c NBA officials use 2 hands to report. NCAAW use only one.

In NCAAW (and Men's), if the foul is called in the frontcourt, the calling official switches to tableside and the tableside offcial moves to the calling official's old position. If the calling official was C or T on the tableside to begin with, then nobody changes positions.

However, in the NBA, if the foul is called in the frontcourt, the calling official becomes the Trail (not necessarily tableside) and the other 2 officials switch. So if the calling official is the Trail on the tableside, the calling official will stay put, but the L and S officials will still change positions with each other.
Old Fri Nov 18, 2005, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
The coverages and rotations (as well as some other procedures, like last shot, "lock down", etc.) are similar between NBA and NCAAW, but the switches are different. The reporting is also different b/c NBA officials use 2 hands to report. NCAAW use only one.

In NCAAW (and Men's), if the foul is called in the frontcourt, the calling official switches to tableside and the tableside offcial moves to the calling official's old position. If the calling official was C or T on the tableside to begin with, then nobody changes positions.

However, in the NBA, if the foul is called in the frontcourt, the calling official becomes the Trail (not necessarily tableside) and the other 2 officials switch. So if the calling official is the Trail on the tableside, the calling official will stay put, but the L and S officials will still change positions with each other.
I believe NCAAW are using two hand mechanics now and the men are experimenting.
Old Fri Nov 18, 2005, 08:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IREFU2
I believe you are wrong on both counts. (Wow, that's awful snotty -- snooty! -- first thing in the morning. Sorry! But not too sorry. )

The only thing we're allowed to "report" with two hands is the 15-second shot clock "reset". Perhaps individual conferences are experimenting reporting fouls with two hands. But the men are definitely not experimenting with this on any major scale. And I don't think the women are either. I talked to one of the authors of the NCAA (CCA) manual while I was in Denver a couple months ago. He said, "We're finally gonna let you use two hands. But all you can use 'em for is this. . ." And he held up a 1-5.

If I'm wrong (". . .and I am never wrong. . ." -- Prince Humperdink), feel free to be snotty -- snooty! -- back at me.
Old Fri Nov 18, 2005, 08:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
I believe you are wrong on both counts. (Wow, that's awful snotty -- snooty! -- first thing in the morning. Sorry! But not too sorry. )

The only thing we're allowed to "report" with two hands is the 15-second shot clock "reset". Perhaps individual conferences are experimenting reporting fouls with two hands. But the men are definitely not experimenting with this on any major scale. And I don't think the women are either. I talked to one of the authors of the NCAA (CCA) manual while I was in Denver a couple months ago. He said, "We're finally gonna let you use two hands. But all you can use 'em for is this. . ." And he held up a 1-5.

If I'm wrong (". . .and I am never wrong. . ." -- Prince Humperdink), feel free to be snotty -- snooty! -- back at me.
Just going from what I was told in camp on the east coast.
Old Fri Nov 18, 2005, 09:03am
In Memoriam

Quote:
[/B]
The only thing we're allowed to "report" with two hands is the 15-second shot clock "reset". [/B][/QUOTE]Well, I would certainly hate to be labelled snooty, but I beg to differ.

How can you "report" the following with one hand?
- a held ball
- a full time-out
- a 30-second time-out
- no score
- one and bonus
- successful 3-point field goal
- traveling
- illegal dribble
- hand-check
- holding
- 10-second violation
- blocking
- pushing
- intentional foul
- double foul
- technical foul

Did I miss anything else that you need two hands to "report" with?
Old Fri Nov 18, 2005, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Chuck answered for NCAAM. You are correct for NCAAW -- the number of the player who committed the foul is reported with two hands (unless it's a 1-digit number).

Old Fri Nov 18, 2005, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Did I miss anything else that you need two hands to "report" with?
Shut up.
Old Fri Nov 18, 2005, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
You are correct for NCAAW -- the number of the player who committed the foul is reported with two hands (unless it's a 1-digit number).
Is this across the board, Bob? That's the first I've heard of it. I can't say I'm shocked, but I am surprised that I hadn't heard before now.
Old Fri Nov 18, 2005, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

Women's CCA manual...page 102

"Report the foul to the table with two hands..."
Old Fri Nov 18, 2005, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nu1
Women's CCA manual...page 102

"Report the foul to the table with two hands..."
I thought I was correct. but can be wrong too!
Old Fri Nov 18, 2005, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

Pass the ketchup, please. I'll need to kill the taste of the crow I'll be having for lunch. Sorry for the bad info.
Old Mon Nov 21, 2005, 12:50am
Official Forum Member

snake eyes if there is anything in particular you need to know about mechanics or anything of the NBA, I practically sleep with the official's manual so just ask and I will look it up.

I would suggest if anybody has a chance to grab an NBA official's manual to do so. it is 20 times more in depth than the NFHS or CCA manual does. It has guidelines for plays, a performance standards section, and a self-performance section just to name a few.
Old Mon Nov 21, 2005, 03:45am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by refTN
snake eyes if there is anything in particular you need to know about mechanics or anything of the NBA, I practically sleep with the official's manual so just ask and I will look it up.

I would suggest if anybody has a chance to grab an NBA official's manual to do so. it is 20 times more in depth than the NFHS or CCA manual does. It has guidelines for plays, a performance standards section, and a self-performance section just to name a few.
Why would anyone want the NBA official's manual if they aren't doing games played under NBA rules? Supervisors/evaluators don't take too kindly to officials who don't use the proper mechanics for their particular ruleset-- even in the....wait for it....SEC, believe it or not. Trot out NBA mechanics or procedures or philosophies in a high school or college game and you might be trotting out the door at the same time.