The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 29, 2006, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

Middle School Unsportsmanlike Conduct by Nonplayer

This situation was described to me this morning and I wanted to see what officials across the country thought about it.

In TN, most MS game chain crews are fresh/soph students/players on the varsity team instead of adults but they are still part of the officiating crew.

Last night between two local teams the ball was going out of bounds near the line to gain equipment. One of the chain crew didn't or couldn't get out of the way in time. Players crashed into sideline and equipment but no one was hurt or injured that I know of. I do not know if they were the required 6 ft off but this school does have plenty of room so they should have been. As the players were re-entering the field an asst. coach on the visiting team grabbed, shook, and verbally assaulted the young chain worker.

Knowing how most MS games are staffed and operated in your areas, would you flag & disqualify under 9.4.2 - intentionally contacting an official? or any 9.8.1 situation? Let it go with warnings and conversations, etc?

Input please.

Thanks.
Old Fri Sep 29, 2006, 09:48am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNStripes
This situation was described to me this morning and I wanted to see what officials across the country thought about it.

In TN, most MS game chain crews are fresh/soph students/players on the varsity team instead of adults but they are still part of the officiating crew.

Last night between two local teams the ball was going out of bounds near the line to gain equipment. One of the chain crew didn't or couldn't get out of the way in time. Players crashed into sideline and equipment but no one was hurt or injured that I know of. I do not know if they were the required 6 ft off but this school does have plenty of room so they should have been. As the players were re-entering the field an asst. coach on the visiting team grabbed, shook, and verbally assaulted the young chain worker.

Knowing how most MS games are staffed and operated in your areas, would you flag & disqualify under 9.4.2 - intentionally contacting an official? or any 9.8.1 situation? Let it go with warnings and conversations, etc?

Input please.

Thanks.

I would throw my flag towards his bus and tell him to go retrieve it.
Old Fri Sep 29, 2006, 10:08am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

I have a non-yardage ejection. No possibility of anything else.
Old Fri Sep 29, 2006, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

Not only would he be disqualified, but I'd also be calling for the game administrator and security because of the possibilty that the kids dad or mom would likely be coming down to take matters into their own hands. This type of violence should not be allowed and in Texas we'd be filing a report with the state organization.
Old Fri Sep 29, 2006, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

He'd be gone so fast you'd see those little cartoon streaky lines behind him.
Old Fri Sep 29, 2006, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

I agree with everything above. Eject, Write Up, and no yards.
Old Fri Sep 29, 2006, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

While Jason is spot on here and yardage is the least of my concerns at the moment, why no yardage? He's an assistant coach. If he yelled a profanity at you, you'd tack on 15.

I'd also call the police. The coach committed a crime here.
Old Fri Sep 29, 2006, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

I'd do all of the above and also call the principal of the school. Whether the coach was a teacher there or not, the principal will want to know what happened in regard to her/his team. It's best to hear it firsthand.
Old Fri Sep 29, 2006, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to FootballRef05
He is an assistant coach, I would toss him and go the 15 yards. Our process here for ejecting a player or coach is to notify the state, the AD of both schools, and the board of our officials associtation. In this situation I'm sure there would be serious concenquences for the coach.
Old Fri Sep 29, 2006, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

TNStripes

Send me a PM.
Old Fri Sep 29, 2006, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with all of the above, however (and this depends on the state organization) but I would only call my association commissioner and not the principal or anyone else. The commissioner is our direct liaison to the state athletics/activities association and he will receive the game report and follow up with the ejection. He will then ask/request that the game official issue a written report or a verbal report.

so in short: flag it, eject the coach, march of the 15, write up the report after the game, contact the commissioner within 24 hours and don't talk to anyone else about it. If anyone wants further information, refer them to you commissioner and he'll contact you and leave it at that.

It depends on your state association, but that's how we instruct our guys to handle it.
Old Fri Sep 29, 2006, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

Why no yardage? It's a UC on the asst. coach & a 15 yard penalty. Ejection would be optional but prefered. Not marking it off is not an option.
Old Sat Sep 30, 2006, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

One other thing I'd do - right after the game, I'd write up everything and put it in my files. It will come in handy if you have to testify in court.
Old Sat Sep 30, 2006, 04:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisref2
One other thing I'd do - right after the game, I'd write up everything and put it in my files. It will come in handy if you have to testify in court.
As an attorney, I'd say that's not a bad idea, however, if I had a client in that situation, I'd advise them to make sure the statements on the write-up are factual, as the document would likely be admitted as evidence. In other words, don't write anything down you don't want others to see, like, say, "the fat-a$$ coach..."