The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 27, 2006, 08:21pm
Official Forum Member

Just to Summarize DPI (NCAA)

With the OU/Oregon fiasco and other discussions on here (mainly related to NFHS), the way I read the DPI rule with regards to a tipped ball is the following:

1. Contact that occurs BEFORE the tip or touch can still be penalized as DPI; provided that
2. The ball is still catchable by the receiver contacted.

I think we are going to get ourselves into a lot of trouble trying to determine if the contact occurred prior to the touching or after, so if it isn't clear, waive off the flag.

Agree or disagree? Other comments?

Just trying to get a firm grasp on this as prior to the weekend referenced above, haven't really put a lot of thought into this. But I think its important.
Old Wed Sep 27, 2006, 10:20pm
Official Forum Member

I would agree. If in doubt, no foul. I had one just like that in a college game this past week and since it was tough to tell if ball was tipped before or after the contact I had no flag. I immediately gave the tipped ball signal and heard no complaints from the A coaches.
Old Thu Sep 28, 2006, 04:13am
Official Forum Member

One clarification here. If the B player who has committed the DPI is the one tipping the ball before it gets to the A player it is still DPI.
Old Thu Sep 28, 2006, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyGardner
One clarification here. If the B player who has committed the DPI is the one tipping the ball before it gets to the A player it is still DPI.
do you have a rules reference to back that up? Or are you talking about the player committing the DPI in order to tip the ball??
Old Thu Sep 28, 2006, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

".... are you talking about the player committing the DPI in order to tip the ball??"

Yes . I'm talking about the player who gets to the ball after committing a DPI foul on the intended receiver so he can get to the ball. If he has committed DPI to get to and tip the ball (thereby making it uncatchable by the intended receiver) we still have a valid DPI call. He can't "cancel" his own foul by tipping the ball after the fact since by throwing the flag we've already decided that he has fouled and prevented A from having a reasonable opportunity to catch the pass.
Old Thu Sep 28, 2006, 05:41pm
Official Forum Member

Roy is correct. DPI restrictions terminate when the ball is tipped by B so anything that happened before the tip but after the ball is thrown would still be considered DPI.

This is probably less common than OPI in the same instance because the time interval (snap to tip for OPI) is usually longer than for DPI (ball thrown to tip) since there is less time for a DPI foul to occur.