The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 26, 2006, 12:09am
Official Forum Member

Late Sub

I'm white hat in a 9th grade NFHS game. I blow the RFP while A is in their huddle. A breaks their huddle and as they are approaching the line, A's coach sends in a sub who joins his team inside the numbers. The player he subs for gets to A's sideline before the snap. No delay of game as A gets the ball sapped in time. However, B's coach is going nuts because we "allowed them to sub too late for us to counter their sub!"

After the game, he insists that subs have to be at the numbers or inside them when the ready blows that way be has a chance to sub. I can't find it anywhere. Did I just blow it?

Thanks.
4eyes
Old Tue Sep 26, 2006, 12:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foureyesallbad
...he insists that subs have to be at the numbers or inside them when the ready blows that way be has a chance to sub. I can't find it anywhere.
Let me understand, you are looking for a rule that states offensive subs can only be before the RFP so that the defense can see who the offense has at the RFP and then evaluate who the offense has in so they can match up as they see fit?

Nope, I can't say I recall any rules similar to that.
Old Tue Sep 26, 2006, 12:37am
Official Forum Member

I would say you are correct.

7-2-1 says that the player only has to be in the 9yard marks after the ready for play (If I'm not mistaken... this is why we have the 9 yard marks, to prevent the offense of that kind of substitute deception)

Also 3-7 deals with substitutes coming in between downs, nothing to do with the RFP.
Old Tue Sep 26, 2006, 12:39am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
7-2-1 After the ball is marked ready for play, each player of A who participated in the previous down and each substitute for A must have been, momentarily, between the 9-yard marks, before the snap.

Note that this does not say BEFORE the RFP. This has nothing to do with B's ability to sub his players.

You got it right.
Old Tue Sep 26, 2006, 12:45am
(Something hilarious)

Tell coach to read 7-2-1, and tell him pay close attention to how the first word is not "BEFORE."

7-2-1: "After the ball is marked ready for play, each player of A who participated in the previous down and each substitute for A must have been, momentarily, between the 9-yard marks, before the snap."
Old Tue Sep 26, 2006, 07:39am
Get away from me, Steve.

All players must be inside the marks at some point between the RFP and the snap.

You can substitute at any time, but the player coming on must go between the marks at some point before the snap.
Old Tue Sep 26, 2006, 07:51am
Official Forum Member

...or the coach might be thinking of NCAA rules that allow defense to sub when the offense does. Or he might be like most coaches and not understand the rules correctly.
Old Tue Sep 26, 2006, 11:03pm
Official Forum Member

So, what if the O breaks the huddle with 10, then right before they snap it, a player comes running off the sidelines, into the 9 yard marks, then they snap the ball?

Legal?

PS- Where are the 9 yard marks located? Would that be about where the numbers are?
Old Wed Sep 27, 2006, 12:50am
Official Forum Member

The tops of the numbers are 9 yards from the sideline, thats why if the field is marked with numbers there are no need for the 9 yard marks.
Old Wed Sep 27, 2006, 07:32am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman72
So, what if the O breaks the huddle with 10, then right before they snap it, a player comes running off the sidelines, into the 9 yard marks, then they snap the ball?

Legal?

PS- Where are the 9 yard marks located? Would that be about where the numbers are?
If the late arriving sub gets inside the 9-yard marks and sets himself it's legal.