The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 30, 2002, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

On third down A1 is tackled out of bounds after making the line to gain. A2 then hits B1 after the play is over out of bounds . Where will the ball next be put in play and what down will it be?
Old Wed Oct 30, 2002, 04:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by F C E
On third down A1 is tackled out of bounds after making the line to gain. A2 then hits B1 after the play is over out of bounds . Where will the ball next be put in play and what down will it be?
I believe it would be 1/10 for A 15 yards behind where the dead ball personal foul occured. I haven't consulted the rulebook so I'm not 100% sure of this answer.

Old Wed Oct 30, 2002, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up Sounds right to me Mike!

I'm assuming the initial tackle on A1 was in-bounds and therefore legal.

If A1 made the line to gain it will be first and 10 for A1. The dead ball foul for a late hit out of bounds by A2 against B1 will be enforced 15 yards from the end of A1's run, then the chains are set for 1st and 10 for A.
Old Wed Oct 30, 2002, 11:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You have two dead ball personal fouls and one ejection -- A2 for hitting B1.

A has made the line to gain, therefore, the next down will be first and ten after enforcement of the penalties.

Enforcement of the penalties requires some care because if the out of bounds spot is behind B's 30 it would be a half the distance walk-off against B, then 15 yards in the opposite direction against A.

I have noticed some discrepancy in enforcement of double dead ball fouls among officials. I say always walk off the penalty against the first offender, then walk off the penalty against the second one. Of course, it returns you to the same spot. But the book says each dead ball foul shall be enforced.

After some confusion in my rookie year as a referee where it looked as though we were confused, I now walk off the first penalty and give the proper signal. Then walk off the second penalty and give the proper signal.
Old Thu Oct 31, 2002, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mikesears
Quote:
I believe it would be 1/10 for A 15 yards behind where the dead ball personal foul occured. I haven't consulted the rulebook so I'm not 100% sure of this answer.

Oops. I missed the hit by A2. The penalties would both be enforced in the order of occurence and then the chains would be set.
Old Thu Oct 31, 2002, 09:32pm
Official Forum Member

Talking I need to work on my English...

Tackled out of bounds...

In my first reply, I assumed that A1 was contacted inbounds near the sideline and the tackle ended out of bounds. Therefore the only foul would be the late hit by A2.

I see the meaning now: A1 is tackled by B after A1 has already been out of bounds. Therefore the first dead ball foul is against B. The second dead ball foul is against A2.

Penalize B's foul first, then A's foul, then set the chains 1st and 10.