The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Mon Sep 18, 2006, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

What is a Catch? :confused:

Another play in the Auburn – LSU game (that has not received as much attention as the DPI no-call) occurred in the first quarter. LSU, 4th and short, threw a pass to the wing in the flats. The receiver in full stride (appears to) secure the ball in his hands then his right foot touches the ground; Puts the ball against his chest as his left foot touches the ground; head and shoulders begin to turn up field and is in full stride with the right leg again (foot almost on the ground) when the AU player stripes the ball from behind. The Official on the field ruled catch and a fumble OOB – had his bean bag on the ground and marked the OOB spot in advance of the line to gain. I know the NCAA has a 4th down fumble rule, but I think that would bring the ball back to the end of the run which was also beyond the line to gain.

The play was reviewed and overturned and explained as no-catch! As an Auburn fan I was thrilled! As an official, I was totally confused by what these guys constitute a catch. I have watched this play frame by frame from three different angles and have yet to see why the official was over ruled. The receiver was in his third stride with the ball with no apparent bobble when he was stripped of the ball. If it was not a catch, every HS and College official in America needs to ask the same question - What is a catch???