The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Sep 17, 2006, 08:14pm
Official Forum Member

Signal on a safety

Guys, I was talking to my R tonight and we had a question. When there is a safty, is it OK for another official to give the signal, or should only the referee give the signal? Thank you in advance.
Old Sun Sep 17, 2006, 08:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJWalt
Guys, I was talking to my R tonight and we had a question. When there is a safty, is it OK for another official to give the signal, or should only the referee give the signal? Thank you in advance.
Referee might not be in the best position. Covering official should give the signal. Referee might then give a confirming signal.

No different than a touchdown, only going the other way.
Old Sun Sep 17, 2006, 08:22pm
Do not give a damn!!

Any official that rules a safety should give the signal. The only way I would see that the Referee would be the only official giving the safety signal is when there is a penalty enforcement and the ruling results in a safety.

Peace
Old Sun Sep 17, 2006, 08:32pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with Rut 100%.
Old Sun Sep 17, 2006, 08:36pm
Official Forum Member

Sounds good guys The reason I asked was I swear I read that only the R should give the signal. I figured I would come here and get the proper answer. Thanks again.
Old Mon Sep 18, 2006, 07:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Any official that rules a safety should give the signal. The only way I would see that the Referee would be the only official giving the safety signal is when there is a penalty enforcement and the ruling results in a safety.

Peace
As R, I had a punt snap go over head of the kicker and out of the back of endzone. I don't think anyone other than the R should signal in this case.

I was watching a college game Saturday and the QB was tackled in the EZ. I noticed that the R and the wings all signaled. I think this was appropriate since the wings are in charge of "guarding" the GL, judging whether the ball makes it out of the EZ.
Old Mon Sep 18, 2006, 09:13am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forksref
As R, I had a punt snap go over head of the kicker and out of the back of endzone. I don't think anyone other than the R should signal in this case.

I was watching a college game Saturday and the QB was tackled in the EZ. I noticed that the R and the wings all signaled. I think this was appropriate since the wings are in charge of "guarding" the GL, judging whether the ball makes it out of the EZ.
Anyone stepping out of the back of the endzone would belong to the R as well.

Usually on a sack, I'm giving the signal and haven't noticed my wings. After the signal, I'm thinking......OK, now it's MY turn for the 100+ yard run.
Old Mon Sep 18, 2006, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

Last year I was HL and a running back was stopped about a half yard in the end zone and I gave the safety signal.

If a QB is sacked or the ball goes out the back of the EZ, you don't need to mirror the R's safety signal. But if a RB gets stuffed at the line for a safety, the wings need to take the lead and signal safety, since the wings are responsible for forward progress.
Old Mon Sep 18, 2006, 02:34pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJT
I agree with Rut 100%.
On the basketball side, agreeing with JRut is not allowed.
Old Mon Sep 18, 2006, 02:42pm
(Something hilarious)

When we're in reverse goal line mechanics (ball snapped from on or inside the 5, going out), the wings on the crews I work on are covering the goal line. When we've moved outside of that area, the R's communicate that the goal line is now theirs, for purposes of judging whether or not the ball has made it back out of the end zone.
Old Mon Sep 18, 2006, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

Just the official(s) covering the play should signal. This would probably be two at most.
Then let the 'R' do the final signal after confirming no flags on the play.