The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 15, 2006, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

1st time officiating

I am an young assitant flag football coach who has never played football before and might have to officate some this year. I will probably have to officiate by myself. Can you tell me the best place to position myself on the field - during the snap, kickoff. If i was with one other offical could you tell me where we would position ourselves in relation to one another? Can you tell me what I will need as far as equipment. Any adivice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old Fri Sep 15, 2006, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

You're kidding.

There is an organization out there using untrained officials as referees? And only 1 on the field? I don't even know where to start.

First - don't work alone. It can't be done.

Second - find a rulebook and learn it.

Third - ask your LEAGUE what equipment they require - if they are just throwing random people on the field and calling them officials, they may not require much.

Fourth, if you need equipment, check out any number of officiating equipment companies (honigs dot com for example), and see what they have. You can probably get a good idea of what you need from looking at what's available.

Two man mechanics? We do it with one HL (on the side with the chains, lined up on the line of scrimmage) and one R (lined up on the opposite side, but in the backfield. I've seen it done with no R and an L (opposite HL, on the line of scrimmage), but you miss a lot of holds and can't protect the QB.
Old Fri Sep 15, 2006, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

One man officiating simply does not work, 2 and 3 man are tough enough. I am hoping if you are officiating alone you are in a 'scrimmage' type environment and competition is not the biggest thing. If this is with kids who are pretty young I wouldn't even hesitate to get a coach from both teams out there to semi-officiate. If this is any kind of competitive environment I simply would not work it. There is no way possible to do a good job with one person, I do not care who you are.