The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 01, 2000, 06:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to first timer
Question

hello, i am currently a freshman in high school preparing to referee my first game..it is only a 5th grade boys game but i would like to be able to know what is going on. i myself play basektball and would like some general calls that are usually made and how i would properly see if they are violations. your advice is welcome!! please!
Old Wed Mar 01, 2000, 07:22pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

I am no veteran so don't take my word as gospel. the best advice that I can tell you is that try to remain calm and call only what you see and don't worry about waht you missed ,... becasue you will NOT see everything. TWO GUYS CRASH on a block/charge something almost alwyas should be called---but not always. An NBA ref told me this next one: 99% of the time a travel is not a travel. BE CAREFUL.

Sell a call only when you have to. Sell a call: "Be very clear and obvious who the foul is on, what the foul is and be confident."

AND THEN REMEBER THE 4 "Rules" of Refereeing

1>Call the obvious
2>Referee the defence
3>Stay in your primary area
4>Trust your partner (s)

But the most important piece of advice have fun and have fun with the kids. For that 1 1/2 hours you are their mentor and they are going to look up to you. Be a professional), be a professional during the game, and be a professional after the game.

------------------
Old Wed Mar 01, 2000, 07:34pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

quote:
Originally posted by sip on 03-01-2000 06:22 PM
An NBA ref told me this next one: 99% of the time a travel is not a travel.

Oh, please! That sounds like NBA standards, but certainly not the rest of the world's.

BTW, first timer, welcome to the "brotherhood" (?) of officiating. You might want to be a little more specific in what information you're looking for. Otherwise, it's kind of hard to offer much in response. Keep reading this discussion board, too. Some of the topics may be a bit "deep" for you, but there's also lots of basic stuff that you can pick up on just by reading. Have fun, and let the kids see you're having fun. When you make a call, explain some of them quickly and simply before putting the ball back in play--that's one of the best ways a kid at that age can learn the rules. If you simply make a call (like a double dribble, or a "moving" screen) and put the ball back in play without explaining what happened, the kids will have no idea until their coach explains it to them. Good luck!

[This message has been edited by Todd VandenAkker (edited March 01, 2000).]
Old Wed Mar 01, 2000, 08:21pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Wink

[quote]Originally posted by sip on 03-01-2000 06:22 PM
An NBA ref told me this next one: 99% of the time a travel is not a travel. [quote]

So, I guess that means they only call it once out of every 99 times they could. That explains a lot.
Old Thu Mar 02, 2000, 12:51am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
Ok, enough about NBA travel rules. As far as your first game goes. Read through some of the discussions on this board. I don't think you will need to read up on the backboard slapping. Understand what a travel is but you don't have to call it every time in a fifth grade game. If they show skill, I may call it tight and by the book, but I have called games with players who will never make a team when they get to high school, and I never once called a travel. All this dispite the fact that they took three or four steps. They didn't gain an advantage in the steps so I let it go.

Call what you know. Don't try to venture into the obscure rules. Try to talk the kids out of violations and fouls. When you suspect a three second call comming, talk the kid out of the lane. If he doesn't respond, then just like with my kids at home, I blow the whistle and dole the proper punishment. Be fair until the game becomes a blow out. If one team is up by twenty then I might give the questionable OOB to the team that is behind. That last second shot even though the buzzer came first, it counts. Do I cheat, no. But I call a fair game and try to help the team that needs help. Not the home team, but the losing team. In 5th grade ball you can do this more than when you call a HS Varsity game.

Remember that at this level the game is not as serious as the parents in the stand make it. Have fun with it and let the kids have the show. Step in and make the necessary calls and try to explain things to the kids when you are asked.
Old Thu Mar 02, 2000, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

Smile

As a new basketball offical, the best advice I can give you is go out and enjoy it. If the day comes when officiating becomes a chore, that's the day I hang up the whistle. Best of luck!! One more thing, read the discussion board and don't be afraid to ask questions. Everyone here is more than happy to help out a brother/sister offical.
Old Thu Mar 02, 2000, 07:55pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

I only repeat what was told. But on a serious note travelling that is called ius usallu not travelling. I know that 5th graders maye travel but I was just offering genralized advice.
I missed out the talking part...tell the kids they are in the lane "Three seconds coming" or handchekcing "Get your hand off". this is just genralizd prevenbtative officiating.
Old Thu Mar 02, 2000, 11:08pm
Official Forum Member

Don't look for something to call.
"if you think you see something, then it probably did not happen"