The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 12, 2006, 06:44am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to yankeesfan
delay of game

team A is called for a delay of game, if team B declines the penalty would the clock start on the ready for play?
Old Tue Sep 12, 2006, 06:52am
Official Forum Member

Generally, yes. But if it happened to be stopped from the prior play, then no.
Old Tue Sep 12, 2006, 10:20am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Lightbulb Canadian Ruling

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeesfan
team A is called for a delay of game, if team B declines the penalty would the clock start on the ready for play?
Canadian rules dictate that after a Time Count foul, the clock starts on the snap.
Old Tue Sep 12, 2006, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

The NFHS rule is pretty clear about this, if the clock was stopped because of a delay foul, it will start on the snap if the penalty is accepted.

NCAA rule is different and we can discuss that if you are asking about that code.
Old Tue Sep 12, 2006, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

Is there any benefit to the NCAA code as far as DOG? I'm not sure I like that the clock (if running) is only started on the snap if A is in a SK formation, but maybe someone can explain the logic that I'm not seeing.

Example: Had a play last weekend, about 1:45 left in the game and 3/10 for Team A who is leading by 3. They're waiting til the last possible second to snap the ball (there's a visual 25-sec clock on the field) and they're not in a SK formation. Clock gets to 00 and Team B is screaming for a DOG (something happened and Team A was confused about the snap right around :02 on the play clock but probably would've gotten the snap off at about a second or two after the PC expired. Again, Team B is screaming for a DOG so I give it to them. We march off 5 and then wind it. Team B coach goes nuts because we're winding it and I tell him that that's the rule because they weren't in an SK formation. So amazingly he starts yelling that it's a horrible rule (and not at me) because now they just get another :25.
Now the question is whether the R should've wound the clock on the RFP as he knew that A was trying to run out the clock but assuming they weren't intentionally trying to get a DOG? What if they were? Is it on the snap then?
Old Tue Sep 12, 2006, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

DJ_NV: are you asking about an NFHS rules game or NCAA rule game in your post?

As far as NCAA goes, being in scrimmage kick formation means something a little different than it does for NFHS. It's the same verbiage with the added words " it's obvious that a kick may be attempted".

Being that it was 3/10, that is not obvious there will be a kick under NCAA rules. In that case, the clock starts on the RFP unless the Referee really believes they are trying to illegal consume time.

Team-A can legally wait until the play clock is about to roll from 01 to 00 without a delay call.
Old Tue Sep 12, 2006, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theisey
DJ_NV: are you asking about an NFHS rules game or NCAA rule game in your post?

As far as NCAA goes, being in scrimmage kick formation means something a little different than it does for NFHS. It's the same verbiage with the added words " it's obvious that a kick may be attempted".

Being that it was 3/10, that is not obvious there will be a kick under NCAA rules. In that case, the clock starts on the RFP unless the Referee really believes they are trying to illegal consume time.

Team-A can legally wait until the play clock is about to roll from 01 to 00 without a delay call.
If home was ahead, and there was 1:45 on the clock, you can be DAMN sure they were trying to run the clock down. R blew it on this one, there's NO question it should have been started on the snap in this case.
Old Tue Sep 12, 2006, 05:31pm
Official Forum Member

Theisey,

This was NCAA and like mcrowder stated, they were most certainly trying to consume time. My question is that by taking the DOG foul and subsequently being penalized, is this considered consuming time illegally?

On one hand, one might argue that while the DOG in itself was illegal, it's not against the rules to voluntarily commit a foul. Of course the foul itself is illegal, and they chose to accept the prescribed penalty of 5 yards. In other words, they committed a crime (DOG foul), served the sentence (5 yards) and life (play) goes on according to rule. In this case, by starting the clock on the RFP per 3-2-5-a-4.

On the other hand, this goes against conventional logic as a team could do this over the course of 3 or 4 downs and take almost 2 minutes off the game clock. I think all of us would argue that this is using time via illegal means and the R should use discretion and start the clock on the snap.

However, even with 1:45 on the clock, if this happens only once should the R step in and overrule 3-2-5-a-4?

thanks
Old Tue Sep 12, 2006, 06:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_NV
Theisey,

This was NCAA and like mcrowder stated, they were most certainly trying to consume time. My question is that by taking the DOG foul and subsequently being penalized, is this considered consuming time illegally?
... snip ..
thanks
As MC said, 1:45 left, team-A ahead, you're darn right it's illegally consuming time by taking a delay foul.
Old Wed Sep 13, 2006, 09:00am
Official Forum Member

There is an AR for NCAA that is pretty specific to this type of play. See AR-3-4-3 I.