The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 27, 2006, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

I posted the other day about a girls' varsity game Tuesday. Last night I worked a freshman g/b double header. The home coach at one point came out during a time out asking me to do something about my partner. My partner was doing a nice job. He's a solid official I'm always glad to work with. I told the coach as much and assured him we were calling the game consistantly and asked him to return to his huddle. He did so, no problem. Late in the game, home was down 4 or 6 with about 30 seconds. Coach wants his girls to foul obviously and is yelling for them to do so. They do not and run the clock down to 8. My partner calls a foul from trail and reports it. As we set up for the free throw, home coach loses it. Comes walking out on the floor like he's a D1 guy looking for a T. He gets his T. He continues to stand and I go over remind him that he needs to be on the bench now, which he does. Here comes the bad part. There was a wrestling meet at the high school so we didn't have a dressing room. After the game, coach comes out and wants to talk to us. I tried to intercept him and send him on his way, but my partner decided to listen to him. He started off somewhat respectful, but that ballooned into us taking the game away from his girls...blah, blah, blah, the usual. We have no where to go. We finally broke off the conversation as the boys were warming up. Coach feels it's his duty to tell the boys coaches, "good luck with these guys." I would have ejected him so he would be suspended for a game (he needed it), but the fans were all ready all over us feeding off his actions and none would understand how he could be tossed after the game. In the spirit of not ruining the second game before it started, I let it go and called my assignor this morning. He is calling the AD. Boys' game went on without a hitch besides going to overtime. Ok, I'm finished venting. College game tonight so things should be better.
Old Fri Jan 27, 2006, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

after the final horn goes off, get to heck outta there! i do like the way you defended your partner.
Old Fri Jan 27, 2006, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

Well, since you hadn't left the court, you could have taught him a lesson and given him his second so he would have to serve a suspension. His team lost so you don't have to shoot the free throws, just report it to the book and letting the opposing coach know wouldn't hurt.

What you did was ok but I'd love to hear that conversation between the coach and AD, especially now that he has to cover the coaching duties for the girls freshman team.
Old Fri Jan 27, 2006, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by johnfox
after the final horn goes off, get to heck outta there! i do like the way you defended your partner.
He said there was nowhere to go because of the wrestling tourn. Also, sometime you gotta stay on the court for double headers to watch the next teams.
Old Fri Jan 27, 2006, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

I agree with both, thanks for your thoughts. We didn't leave because we had no where to go. They played the game at a middle school and we didn't have a locker room. The way the crowd was after losing a close game I thought the safest place was on the floor. As far as the T, trust me, I was really tempted, but I thought that would just carry over the bad vibes to the second game of the double header. I am second guessing myself on this point and I appreciate your thoughts. Hopefully the AD handles the situation.
Old Fri Jan 27, 2006, 10:16am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the compliment on defending my partner. That is an area I take pride in, even some nights when it is difficult to do. I try to use the old golden rule and I'd want a partner to do the same for me.
Old Fri Jan 27, 2006, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

Junker,

I think you made the right decision even though the Coach deserved a T. The past is the past. Considerations made to improve the atmosphere of the second game affected the present. Nice management decision.

John
Old Fri Jan 27, 2006, 04:21pm
Official Forum Member

Junker, What made the home coach "lose it" as you say. If he was looking for a foul to stop clock, why the tirade? If coach got a T in the game, you know hes not going to go peacefully, if hes asking to speak to you. I would have said NO coach, not now, its not appropiate. If you have any questions, call my assignor or head of my association. Then got out as quick as you could as to not add fuel to fire.
Old Fri Jan 27, 2006, 04:22pm
Official Forum Member

I'm confused. Does a wrestling meet occur in a coaches office? Or were there none?

Seems to me, there's got to be somewhere they can set you up, even if a classroom or principal's office. I've been in both before. Not ideal, but better than out on the floor.
Old Fri Jan 27, 2006, 04:56pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dave30
We have some doubleheaders where they put 8:00 on the clock between games, so there really is no where to go. It is already time to start checking the books, talk to captains, etc. as soon as the first game is over.
Old Sat Jan 28, 2006, 08:24pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Junker, which schools?