The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Sep 02, 2006, 09:40pm
Official Forum Member

Post TD Mechanics

After a score do any of your crews have a mechanic so things look clean and professional?

Yesterday we had a TD, and met at the 5 yard line. After writing down the TD info as a group, we break. As the LJ I head to the Home team side on the 5 yard line. Then cut up the sideline, cut back on at the 50, then go to the center of the field. The BJ should do the same thing on the visitors side, but go to the 40. Unfortunately in this case the BJ ran straight up the middle of the field (not a normal crew member). Personally I thought it looked sloppy and was curious if you had any post scoring mechanics.
Old Sat Sep 02, 2006, 09:52pm
Do not give a damn!!

You go through all of that? Why?

We just run or walk to our position. I have never, ever had anyone use the mechanic you are suggesting. You are on the field all day, why would you require someone to move off the field to get to your position in this case?

Peace
Old Sat Sep 02, 2006, 10:00pm
Chain of Fools

Post TD

While I have heard of individual groups having a formal meeting to mark cards and mention time, potential on-side kicks, or time-outs remaining, I've never been a part of a group that does. I do know that most of our BJ's will move up the sideline and square-off to the K line. As a HL, I just go to my spot directly to the 30 y.l..

In JV games we're in 4 man crews so I have to handle K. I go down the middle. My white hats aren't worried about how pretty I look. They want me to get the ball up to K and get their line ready.
Old Sat Sep 02, 2006, 10:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
You go through all of that? Why?

We just run or walk to our position. I have never, ever had anyone use the mechanic you are suggesting. You are on the field all day, why would you require someone to move off the field to get to your position in this case?

Peace
We only do this in varsity games, it just looks clean and our observers want to see this.
Old Sat Sep 02, 2006, 10:11pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJWalt
We only do this in varsity games, it just looks clean and our observers want to see this.
That is fine, it just sounds unnecessary. When in Rome.........

Peace
Old Sat Sep 02, 2006, 10:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
That is fine, it just sounds unnecessary. When in Rome.........

Peace
As a newer guy, I cant rock the boat, you know how it is.
Old Sat Sep 02, 2006, 11:14pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJWalt
As a newer guy, I cant rock the boat, you know how it is.
I was not telling you to not follow the procedures. I am just telling you I have never heard, seen or known of anyone using such a mechanic as it relates to running to your position after a score. Running to your position should be adequate. I do not think it looks better just because you run up the line. Then again, I have never been required to use this mechanic. I am somewhat bias on the topic.

In my area, we do not huddle to jot down the score. The score is usually obvious to everyone and we do not record this or confirm the score. It has never been made an issue. If the score is wrong, we correct the scoreboard. Then we are not in a hurry to get to our positions.

Peace
Old Sat Sep 02, 2006, 11:28pm
Chain of Fools

Scoreboards break, clocks go out

Somebody on the crew needs to be jotting down the score. I just like to keep a record of the game for my own filing.
Old Sat Sep 02, 2006, 11:44pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLin NC
Somebody on the crew needs to be jotting down the score. I just like to keep a record of the game for my own filing.
What ever works for you I guess. But I do not think it is "necessary." I have never seen a dispute over the score of a football game. There is usually not enough scoring that this becomes an issue. Also a lot of lower level games in my area do not have a scoreboard. I have yet to jot down the score and someone everything seems to work about.

Peace
Old Sun Sep 03, 2006, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

Certainly do not need all four or five officials to meet on the 5 yardline to record a score.
I believe normal mechanics are to move to your position and record your score there.
As for the BJ (5-man NF mechanics) or HL (4-man NF mechanics) heading up the middle of the field, I have no problem with that. However, going up the scroing team sideline would be better, that way he can get a ball should there not be one behind the goal post as some ball people may do for the crew.

Line Judge does not have to go out on the field at all prior to a freekick. He normally just starts right on the 50. That's what the NF official manual shows in their diagrams and verbage for a freekick.
Old Sun Sep 03, 2006, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

We put together a new crew this year and I put this into our game plan. I worked with a crew last year 4 times and they do it, thats where I learned about it. Most times we do not have alot to say other then "man that back is fast" or we may be looking for a onside kick etc. Last year there was a player dropping the F-bomb, not at the other team but at himself, and remember we meet after the try so maybe he missed the tackle on the TD. The LJ told me (L) and the U. We stopped at the headcoach and told him what had happened, he thanked us and told us that kid did have a mouth. I feel the post TD meeting helped stop what could have turned into a bad situation. We usually meet only 10 seconds or so.
Old Sun Sep 03, 2006, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

All of the crews in our area use the same "post score" procedures. After the extra point we meet at the 5, "briefly" see if there are any problems and make sure our cards are right (time outs or whatever else). Then we break from the 5 and jog down the 5 yard line to the side line and up to our positions, the U will go up the scoring team side to get a ball. The R, H, L are at the goal line, S is at the kickers line and the F is at the receivers line. This is what our commissoners want and thats what the evaluators look for.
Old Sun Sep 03, 2006, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

My guess for the crews that meet at the five, they must have teams that have multiple game balls or someone reliable to retrieve the ball after a try. Lots of schools (even big ones) don't have multiple game balls nor someone reliable to get the ball.

If it works for your crew, great.
Old Sun Sep 03, 2006, 03:38pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.OH
Last year there was a player dropping the F-bomb, not at the other team but at himself, and remember we meet after the try so maybe he missed the tackle on the TD. The LJ told me (L) and the U. We stopped at the headcoach and told him what had happened, he thanked us and told us that kid did have a mouth. I feel the post TD meeting helped stop what could have turned into a bad situation. We usually meet only 10 seconds or so.
Why do you need a meeting after a try to relay that same information?

Peace
Old Sun Sep 03, 2006, 05:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by l3will
My guess for the crews that meet at the five, they must have teams that have multiple game balls or someone reliable to retrieve the ball after a try. Lots of schools (even big ones) don't have multiple game balls nor someone reliable to get the ball.

If it works for your crew, great.
Thats a good point. For 1 of Fridays games we had 5 game balls all the same type. And a ball "man" that was on his game. He had a ball waiting behind the goal post as soon as a TD was scored. That did help a lot.