The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 01, 2006, 09:04pm
Official Forum Member

Illegal numbering

Okay, sophomore game tonight (first of my career). I'm the HL.

Coach on my side says that the other team's right tackle is wearing 25 and that's an illegal number.

Now, I'm guessing my thought process was whacked out on this, but I'm thinking "that's not my call to make, that's the umpire's call to make." So I tell the umpire. He says "as long as he doesn't go out for a pass, he's okay."

Well, I've only been at this two years, but I don't think that's right, but I've brought it to the attention of the umpire, he outranks me.

The coach won't let it go. I tell him it's the umpire's call and he starts yelling at me that "that's total BS. You mean if one of my players got speared, you wouldn't call it?" But before I could tell him that, no, in fact, that's a player safety issue and I would call that, the next play went off and away we went.

Anyway, apparently he kept *****ing about it and called time out so he could talk to the white hat about it (and made sure he got his time out back).

First off - sophomore game. That's ticky-tack, but whatever. Ref told me at halftime to just stop the proceedings and come to him if that happens again. I was absolutely not about to throw a flag and then have to pick it up because common sense says, "Oh, by the way, it's a freaking sophomore game."

Kid actually changed from #25 to #92 and again played on the line, which brought the whole thing to a head and they got penalized and the guy was happy. At halftime, the ref for the varsity game arrived to prepare for his game and said it's an equipment violation, which is what I thought.

Anyway, it didn't happen again the rest of the night, but the guy was a real martinet for a sophomore coach.

So, my questions are:

1. I was wrong not to tell the referee immediately, right?
2. I was wrong in thinking it was the umpire's call, right?
3. I was right in being polite to the coach and just telling him I heard him and that I had heard enough at that point, right?
4. What should I do in that situation again?

BTW, we had an inadvertent whistle that wiped out a long run by the same team down to about the 5 before that, but thank God, it wasn't me who blew the whistle.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Fri Sep 01, 2006, 10:08pm
Official Forum Member

Good round OverandBack, Bravo!

Questions 1 - 3, True.
Question 4:

Revert to question 3 & let the WH know, "Hey I see something that's not right...", make the correction, and play on.

Pre-Game meetings will help get rid of alot of questions before they are asked. They do for me. Hope this helps you.

Anyone else care to add on??
Old Fri Sep 01, 2006, 10:51pm
Official Forum Member

I don't know for sure what Fed says, but in the NCAA the tackle doesn't have to be 50-79. Its just that they must have 5 players with 50-79 out there on the line. If they are violating this rule, I check to see how many players they have. If a bunch, he either has to change jerseys, or they have to get another player out there (end of games in routs are an exception, especially in jr. high; we are going to err on the side of letting kids play when they are running fullback dives into the line and it doesn't matter). If he doesn't have very many and/or can't change jerseys, then I'm OK with it with the understanding from the offending coach that 25 will remain a 50-79 lineman and will be ineligible so the defense can be aware. Then I'm telling the other coach we are playing ball.
Old Fri Sep 01, 2006, 11:28pm
Official Forum Member

NFHS

There must be 5 players on the line, numbered 50-79.

Some areas are lenient on this in sub varsity games. We are not. Even in middle school games, teams must be properly numbered.

Yes, the umpire should make the call but if he doesn't, kill the clock and ask the R.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Sep 05, 2006, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
Some areas are lenient on this in sub varsity games. We are not. Even in middle school games, teams must be properly numbered.
We treat sub-varsity games the way the teams approach them. Most of our schools view them as learning opportunities, so we do not worry about the numbering on the line, since the coaches are trying players at multiple positions. We do, however, insist on eligible numbers on receivers. We also make sure both coaches are on the same page BEFORE the games starts.

We have one league that approaches their sub-varsity games seriously. They even have a playoff series and crown a champion. In that league, all rules are enforced the same as in a varsity game.

Most middle school games are varsity contests, although a couple of schools also play a B-team schedule. Middle school varsity games are just as intense as the high school varsity games, and all rules are enforced. The B-team games are very informal, often with coaches on the field.

I guess what I am saying is, you are contracted to perform a service. In sub-varsity games, the entity with whom you contract can, within reason, determine the guidelines for that service.
Old Tue Sep 05, 2006, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

We overlook this at sub-varsity levels but are crystal clear with the coaches before hand. Actually, it makes it more difficult to officiate because you need to really commit to memory who is and is not eligible.

For midgets, the league has asked us to officiate the rule this way due mainly to budgetary constraints, especially with the youth leagues. The thing we don't allow is for two players to participate wearing the same number.

We've been told for Frosh and JV that some schools don't have the budgets to properly number all their players. So, I just go with it and again are up front with coaches and they have always been OK with it.

Communication is key.
Old Tue Sep 05, 2006, 01:13pm
Do not give a damn!!

Over and Back,

In this area we treat sophomore games like varsity games as it relates to rules like this. Sophomore games are to show that you can work a varsity game. More eyes are watching on these games so you cannot just dismiss the fact that this is a lower level game.

Also any official can call this. This is not just something the Umpire has. The Referee can see this as well. As a wing official you are likely not going to easily see this, but if it happens I do not see any reason why you would not call this. If the crew has a brain fart, they are not just going to blame the Umpire for this call being missed.

Peace
Old Tue Sep 05, 2006, 10:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Over and Back,

In this area we treat sophomore games like varsity games as it relates to rules like this. Sophomore games are to show that you can work a varsity game. More eyes are watching on these games so you cannot just dismiss the fact that this is a lower level game.

Also any official can call this. This is not just something the Umpire has. The Referee can see this as well. As a wing official you are likely not going to easily see this, but if it happens I do not see any reason why you would not call this. If the crew has a brain fart, they are not just going to blame the Umpire for this call being missed.

Peace
Gotcha. Thanks. Live and learn. First sophomore-level game and all that.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.