The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 01, 2006, 12:04am
Official Forum Member

dead ball question

first time in this forum...usually basketball...player runs for first down then a deadball foul on offensive team...white hat marks off 10yds and play resumes...question is should they have moved the chains for the first down then marked off ten from the point of the infraction...thanks hope this is enough information.
Old Fri Sep 01, 2006, 12:27am
Official Forum Member

thanks for the quick reply

when it was all said and done the offensive team was three yds behind the chains, set them up for 13yds for a first down... i wondered if the first down should have moved the chains and it would have been first and 23...would you please explain succeeding spot...thanks again
Old Fri Sep 01, 2006, 12:49am
Never Stop Learning

Let me go back. I deleted my other posts. The team with the ball will receive a first down. The penalty will be marched off from where the play ended. Then the chains will be set at that point first and ten. The suceeding spot is the spot at the end of the play. the preceeding spot is where the play started from.

Last edited by Ed Maeder; Fri Sep 01, 2006 at 12:51am.
Old Fri Sep 01, 2006, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

Since the foul was a dead ball foul, it had no effect on the play as it was run so A will get the first down. A few years ago the rule was changed on when to set the chains. Now it almost always will be 1 & 10. For it to be 1 & 25, the chains would have had to have been moved for the 1&10 and then the referee would have had to signal ready for play before the dead ball happened.
Old Fri Sep 01, 2006, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Maeder
Let me go back. I deleted my other posts. The team with the ball will receive a first down. The penalty will be marched off from where the play ended. Then the chains will be set at that point first and ten. The suceeding spot is the spot at the end of the play. the preceeding spot is where the play started from.
Since we love ripping on each other for technicalities here:

The succeeding spot is the spot at which the ball will next be put into play, not the spot where the previous play ended. ie, touchdown: the succeeding spot is the spot of the PAT. After the PAT, the succeeding spot is the spot of the free kick.
Old Fri Sep 01, 2006, 02:39pm
Never Stop Learning

Agreed, you are right on the money.
Old Fri Sep 01, 2006, 03:44pm
Official Forum Member

what ????

what deadball foul would only be 10 yds??
Old Fri Sep 01, 2006, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmathews
what deadball foul would only be 10 yds??
Possibility: Series starts at A5. Fifteen yard gain to A20. 1st and ten. Dead ball personal foul on A. Half the distance would be ten yards.
Old Fri Sep 01, 2006, 04:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue37
Possibility: Series starts at A5. Fifteen yard gain to A20. 1st and ten. Dead ball personal foul on A. Half the distance would be ten yards.
As I understand it, that's still a 15-yd penalty, you only enforce 10 yds because of the goal line half-distance exception.