The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   dead ball question (https://forum.officiating.com/football/28079-dead-ball-question.html)

cloverdale Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:04am

dead ball question

first time in this forum...usually basketball...player runs for first down then a deadball foul on offensive team...white hat marks off 10yds and play resumes...question is should they have moved the chains for the first down then marked off ten from the point of the infraction...thanks hope this is enough information.

cloverdale Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:27am

thanks for the quick reply

when it was all said and done the offensive team was three yds behind the chains, set them up for 13yds for a first down... i wondered if the first down should have moved the chains and it would have been first and 23...would you please explain succeeding spot...thanks again

Ed Maeder Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:49am

Let me go back. I deleted my other posts. The team with the ball will receive a first down. The penalty will be marched off from where the play ended. Then the chains will be set at that point first and ten. The suceeding spot is the spot at the end of the play. the preceeding spot is where the play started from.

Jim D Fri Sep 01, 2006 08:48am

Since the foul was a dead ball foul, it had no effect on the play as it was run so A will get the first down. A few years ago the rule was changed on when to set the chains. Now it almost always will be 1 & 10. For it to be 1 & 25, the chains would have had to have been moved for the 1&10 and then the referee would have had to signal ready for play before the dead ball happened.

wisref2 Fri Sep 01, 2006 02:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed Maeder
Let me go back. I deleted my other posts. The team with the ball will receive a first down. The penalty will be marched off from where the play ended. Then the chains will be set at that point first and ten. The suceeding spot is the spot at the end of the play. the preceeding spot is where the play started from.

Since we love ripping on each other for technicalities here: :)

The succeeding spot is the spot at which the ball will next be put into play, not the spot where the previous play ended. ie, touchdown: the succeeding spot is the spot of the PAT. After the PAT, the succeeding spot is the spot of the free kick.

Ed Maeder Fri Sep 01, 2006 02:39pm

Agreed, you are right on the money.

cmathews Fri Sep 01, 2006 03:44pm

what ????

what deadball foul would only be 10 yds??

Blue37 Fri Sep 01, 2006 03:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmathews
what deadball foul would only be 10 yds??

Possibility: Series starts at A5. Fifteen yard gain to A20. 1st and ten. Dead ball personal foul on A. Half the distance would be ten yards.

Hoosier_Dave Fri Sep 01, 2006 04:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue37
Possibility: Series starts at A5. Fifteen yard gain to A20. 1st and ten. Dead ball personal foul on A. Half the distance would be ten yards.

As I understand it, that's still a 15-yd penalty, you only enforce 10 yds because of the goal line half-distance exception.:)