The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 15, 2006, 07:45am
Official Forum Member

New Mechanic for 2006 (pre snap keys)

This topic is related to NFHS:

I was at a clinic earlier this year and they mentioned the new mechanic the BJ will use to get his key. Basically the BJ will always take the widest guy on the LOS to the strong side.

Can anyone confirm if this change is true? The other night we attended a passing scrimmage and used the "old mechanics" and plan to do so until we can confirm any changes.
Old Thu Jun 15, 2006, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to grantsrc
Yeah, the BJ will take the widest guy on the strong side, if no strong side, declared to LJ side. It was in the April issue of Referee Mag.

Quote:
In a five-official crew, the back judge's key will always be the widest player on the strong side. That will almost always be a split end, although it is possible for a wingback or a flanker to be positioned outside a tight end.
Quote:
If the formation is balanced (the same number of receivers outside the tackles on both sides of the formation), strength is declared to the line judge's side.

I personally don't like this change. I've gone on record before stating my feelings about this and I will reiterate them again. The BJ is not in a position to rule whether a WR goes out of bounds or not. Also, this fill force the wing guys to "look through" to their key. Furthermore, the BJ is a lot farther away from his key than the wingmen anyway.

I just don't understand why the Fed can't go along with the CCA's version of 5 man?!? The wings should always take the widest guy, with the BJ taking the inside guy. In trips, have the BJ take the two inside guys. In even strength, have the BJ take the two inside receivers (this is the only "bad" thing about a system like this- BJ is responsible for two receivers on either side of the field, i.e. he has to swivel). If any backs come out of the backfield, he should be the responsibility of the wingman. Simple enough.

BTW- The old system of identifying keys from the Fed was horrible. Why should it matter who is on the line and who is off? Never quite figured that one out. So I guess this is a step in a positive direction.
Old Thu Jun 15, 2006, 07:45pm
Official Forum Member

What CCA 5-man manual are you looking at? Texas mechanics (which are almost vebatim same as CCA) have had BJ with widest man on the LOS for years. There are some differences now with the multiple receiver sets but in a "standard" formation, his key is wide man on the LOS on strong side.
Old Fri Jun 16, 2006, 08:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantsrc
Yeah, the BJ will take the widest guy on the strong side, if no strong side, declared to LJ side. It was in the April issue of Referee Mag.

[COLOR=black]

I personally don't like this change. I've gone on record before stating my feelings about this and I will reiterate them again. The BJ is not in a position to rule whether a WR goes out of bounds or not. Also, this fill force the wing guys to "look through" to their key. Furthermore, the BJ is a lot farther away from his key than the wingmen anyway.

I just don't understand why the Fed can't go along with the CCA's version of 5 man?!? The wings should always take the widest guy, with the BJ taking the inside guy. In trips, have the BJ take the two inside guys. In even strength, have the BJ take the two inside receivers (this is the only "bad" thing about a system like this- BJ is responsible for two receivers on either side of the field, i.e. he has to swivel). If any backs come out of the backfield, he should be the responsibility of the wingman. Simple enough.

BTW- The old system of identifying keys from the Fed was horrible. Why should it matter who is on the line and who is off? Never quite figured that one out. So I guess this is a step in a positive direction.
I agree, in 5 man, its hard to see some of the things near the sideline and what NFHS wants to do, is have a key similar to NCAA. That is fine and dandy but give us the other two officials.

In KY, we have 5 man in high school all the way to the championship game. I know there's a big cost to adding another two officials, but the pay should decrease per official if this is ever done. I would agree to that, but the other 95% would not. These are the 95% who never attends a camp, never picks up a rules book and pants are cream color. Sorry if I hit any of you but I think the 5% of officials are the ones here on the boards day in and day out.

I really like the NCAA CCA mechanics for 7 man, it's great and would love to see KY to put a 7 man on its 3rd round and up games.
Old Fri Jun 16, 2006, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irefky
In KY, we have 5 man in high school all the way to the championship game. I know there's a big cost to adding another two officials, but the pay should decrease per official if this is ever done. I would agree to that, but the other 95% would not. These are the 95% who never attends a camp, never picks up a rules book and pants are cream color. Sorry if I hit any of you but I think the 5% of officials are the ones here on the boards day in and day out.
I agree that there are officials out there that fit your description. But at least in my association, they don't make up anywhere near 95%. Nearly half attend at least some of our off-season rules discussions, and roughly 20-30% are there for every one. And even some of the ones that don't are solid officials that take their role seriously - they just can't make it to these meetings. Certainly there is room for improvement for all of us, but cynicism is one of the biggest barriers to progress that officials, collectively and individually, have. People tend to live up, or down, to one's expectations. And, like it or not, football association is a team effort. We should try to stay upbeat about our comrades and our profession.