View Single Post
Old Thu Jun 15, 2006, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to grantsrc
Yeah, the BJ will take the widest guy on the strong side, if no strong side, declared to LJ side. It was in the April issue of Referee Mag.

Quote:
In a five-official crew, the back judge's key will always be the widest player on the strong side. That will almost always be a split end, although it is possible for a wingback or a flanker to be positioned outside a tight end.
Quote:
If the formation is balanced (the same number of receivers outside the tackles on both sides of the formation), strength is declared to the line judge's side.

I personally don't like this change. I've gone on record before stating my feelings about this and I will reiterate them again. The BJ is not in a position to rule whether a WR goes out of bounds or not. Also, this fill force the wing guys to "look through" to their key. Furthermore, the BJ is a lot farther away from his key than the wingmen anyway.

I just don't understand why the Fed can't go along with the CCA's version of 5 man?!? The wings should always take the widest guy, with the BJ taking the inside guy. In trips, have the BJ take the two inside guys. In even strength, have the BJ take the two inside receivers (this is the only "bad" thing about a system like this- BJ is responsible for two receivers on either side of the field, i.e. he has to swivel). If any backs come out of the backfield, he should be the responsibility of the wingman. Simple enough.

BTW- The old system of identifying keys from the Fed was horrible. Why should it matter who is on the line and who is off? Never quite figured that one out. So I guess this is a step in a positive direction.