View Single Post
Old Fri Jun 16, 2006, 08:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantsrc
Yeah, the BJ will take the widest guy on the strong side, if no strong side, declared to LJ side. It was in the April issue of Referee Mag.

[COLOR=black]

I personally don't like this change. I've gone on record before stating my feelings about this and I will reiterate them again. The BJ is not in a position to rule whether a WR goes out of bounds or not. Also, this fill force the wing guys to "look through" to their key. Furthermore, the BJ is a lot farther away from his key than the wingmen anyway.

I just don't understand why the Fed can't go along with the CCA's version of 5 man?!? The wings should always take the widest guy, with the BJ taking the inside guy. In trips, have the BJ take the two inside guys. In even strength, have the BJ take the two inside receivers (this is the only "bad" thing about a system like this- BJ is responsible for two receivers on either side of the field, i.e. he has to swivel). If any backs come out of the backfield, he should be the responsibility of the wingman. Simple enough.

BTW- The old system of identifying keys from the Fed was horrible. Why should it matter who is on the line and who is off? Never quite figured that one out. So I guess this is a step in a positive direction.
I agree, in 5 man, its hard to see some of the things near the sideline and what NFHS wants to do, is have a key similar to NCAA. That is fine and dandy but give us the other two officials.

In KY, we have 5 man in high school all the way to the championship game. I know there's a big cost to adding another two officials, but the pay should decrease per official if this is ever done. I would agree to that, but the other 95% would not. These are the 95% who never attends a camp, never picks up a rules book and pants are cream color. Sorry if I hit any of you but I think the 5% of officials are the ones here on the boards day in and day out.

I really like the NCAA CCA mechanics for 7 man, it's great and would love to see KY to put a 7 man on its 3rd round and up games.