The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Wed Jun 07, 2006, 10:17pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Omaha, Nebraska
Posts: 260
Question New "Rules by topic" reference

Just curious as to what others think about the format of this new reference book.
I'm not through the entire book yet but I wanted to run this caseplay by and get reaction:

Page 76, 5.2.2 Situation A: With fourth and 5 from B's 30, A1 throws a forward pass that is intercepted by B1 on his 10-yard line and returned to B's 35. While the pass was in flight, ineligible A2 was illegally downfield, and the ball: (a) touched, or (b) did not touch A2 prior to the touching and interception by B1. RULING: In (a) and (b), B could accept the 5-yard penalty for ineligible downfield. B likely will decline the penalty and keep the ball first and 10 from its own 35-yard line. It is not illegal touching in (a) as A2 did not catch, touch, muff or bat the pass.

My first question: Ineligible A2 is illegally downfield. Therefore any "touching" by A2 of a forward pass beyond the neutral zone and untouched by B in or behind the neutral zone should be offensive pass interference. Correct?

A second question on a different play: A1's pass is touched by B1 behind the neutral zone and the pass continues in flight beyond the neutral zone. A2 is downfield and blocks B2 prior to the touching of the pass. If B touches the forward pass behind the neutral zone does this then cancel any offensive pass interference by A during the play, regardless of when the pass interference occurred in relation to the touching by B?
__________________
kentref
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jun 08, 2006, 07:31am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 618
Send a message via MSN to grantsrc
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentref
My first question: Ineligible A2 is illegally downfield. Therefore any "touching" by A2 of a forward pass beyond the neutral zone and untouched by B in or behind the neutral zone should be offensive pass interference. Correct?
This is a change this year. This play is no longer OPI, rather, it is now illegal touching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentref
A second question on a different play: A1's pass is touched by B1 behind the neutral zone and the pass continues in flight beyond the neutral zone. A2 is downfield and blocks B2 prior to the touching of the pass. If B touches the forward pass behind the neutral zone does this then cancel any offensive pass interference by A during the play, regardless of when the pass interference occurred in relation to the touching by B?
Since the ball was touched behind the NZ by B, the timing of the touching doesn't matter. The touching by B behind the NZ negates any OPI anytime during the down. See 7.5.7A
__________________
Check out my football officials resource page at
http://resources.refstripes.com
If you have a file you would like me to add, email me and I will get it posted.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jun 08, 2006, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2
Also remember that illegal touching is an intentional act. So touching per say is not illegal unless there is intent to touch.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jun 09, 2006, 07:15am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 78
Book

I am thinking of buying this book, can you comment on the quality of material. Thanks in advance.
__________________
Life's battles don't always go to the stronger or faster man. But sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can!
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jun 09, 2006, 09:04am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Clinton Township, NJ
Posts: 2,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJWalt
I am thinking of buying this book, can you comment on the quality of material. Thanks in advance.
REPLY: I think the basic premise of the book, i.e. to capture all rules, case plays, and to consolidate and recategorize them into topics (kicking game, plays from scrimmage, contact etc.) is a great one. I still think there's room for improvement. For example, there's no special topic for the passing game. Also, there are still some errors (about 9 or 10 by my count--mostly in the case plays) and several others places where statements are not incorrect but are definitely misleading and might result in confusion. The addition of "Rationale" and "In Simple Terms" and "Did you know..." sidebars is a nice touch.
__________________
Bob M.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jun 09, 2006, 11:33am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob M.
REPLY: I think the basic premise of the book, i.e. to capture all rules, case plays, and to consolidate and recategorize them into topics (kicking game, plays from scrimmage, contact etc.) is a great one. I still think there's room for improvement. For example, there's no special topic for the passing game. Also, there are still some errors (about 9 or 10 by my count--mostly in the case plays) and several others places where statements are not incorrect but are definitely misleading and might result in confusion. The addition of "Rationale" and "In Simple Terms" and "Did you know..." sidebars is a nice touch.
I am buying a few books today, and was curious. Thank you.
__________________
Life's battles don't always go to the stronger or faster man. But sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can!
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jun 09, 2006, 07:48pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Omaha, Nebraska
Posts: 260
grantsrc: Thanks.

BigJWalt: I would generally agree with BobM's assessment. I haven't read through the entire book yet, but aside from some of the errors, the intent of the book is good. I would like to see some more of the "rationale" sidebars, although what is there is good.

I will be able to offer a better assessment after I finish the book and I get my rulebook (hopefully on its way soon!) to confirm the rule references.
__________________
kentref
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Leaving Early" (pitch) to pull up socks Dakota Softball 17 Fri May 26, 2006 12:57pm
Charles Barkley's "brutal NBA refs" comments jeffpea Basketball 16 Thu May 18, 2006 10:02am
Wonderful article - "Love of the Game" jeffpea Basketball 0 Mon May 15, 2006 12:20pm
fouled while "shooting" at wrong basket A Pennsylvania Coach Basketball 15 Sun Apr 30, 2006 01:38pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:51am.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1