The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 07, 2006, 10:17pm
Official Forum Member

Question New "Rules by topic" reference

Just curious as to what others think about the format of this new reference book.
I'm not through the entire book yet but I wanted to run this caseplay by and get reaction:

Page 76, 5.2.2 Situation A: With fourth and 5 from B's 30, A1 throws a forward pass that is intercepted by B1 on his 10-yard line and returned to B's 35. While the pass was in flight, ineligible A2 was illegally downfield, and the ball: (a) touched, or (b) did not touch A2 prior to the touching and interception by B1. RULING: In (a) and (b), B could accept the 5-yard penalty for ineligible downfield. B likely will decline the penalty and keep the ball first and 10 from its own 35-yard line. It is not illegal touching in (a) as A2 did not catch, touch, muff or bat the pass.

My first question: Ineligible A2 is illegally downfield. Therefore any "touching" by A2 of a forward pass beyond the neutral zone and untouched by B in or behind the neutral zone should be offensive pass interference. Correct?

A second question on a different play: A1's pass is touched by B1 behind the neutral zone and the pass continues in flight beyond the neutral zone. A2 is downfield and blocks B2 prior to the touching of the pass. If B touches the forward pass behind the neutral zone does this then cancel any offensive pass interference by A during the play, regardless of when the pass interference occurred in relation to the touching by B?
Old Thu Jun 08, 2006, 07:31am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to grantsrc
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentref
My first question: Ineligible A2 is illegally downfield. Therefore any "touching" by A2 of a forward pass beyond the neutral zone and untouched by B in or behind the neutral zone should be offensive pass interference. Correct?
This is a change this year. This play is no longer OPI, rather, it is now illegal touching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentref
A second question on a different play: A1's pass is touched by B1 behind the neutral zone and the pass continues in flight beyond the neutral zone. A2 is downfield and blocks B2 prior to the touching of the pass. If B touches the forward pass behind the neutral zone does this then cancel any offensive pass interference by A during the play, regardless of when the pass interference occurred in relation to the touching by B?
Since the ball was touched behind the NZ by B, the timing of the touching doesn't matter. The touching by B behind the NZ negates any OPI anytime during the down. See 7.5.7A
Old Thu Jun 08, 2006, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

Also remember that illegal touching is an intentional act. So touching per say is not illegal unless there is intent to touch.
Old Fri Jun 09, 2006, 07:15am
Official Forum Member

Book

I am thinking of buying this book, can you comment on the quality of material. Thanks in advance.
Old Fri Jun 09, 2006, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJWalt
I am thinking of buying this book, can you comment on the quality of material. Thanks in advance.
REPLY: I think the basic premise of the book, i.e. to capture all rules, case plays, and to consolidate and recategorize them into topics (kicking game, plays from scrimmage, contact etc.) is a great one. I still think there's room for improvement. For example, there's no special topic for the passing game. Also, there are still some errors (about 9 or 10 by my count--mostly in the case plays) and several others places where statements are not incorrect but are definitely misleading and might result in confusion. The addition of "Rationale" and "In Simple Terms" and "Did you know..." sidebars is a nice touch.
Old Fri Jun 09, 2006, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob M.
REPLY: I think the basic premise of the book, i.e. to capture all rules, case plays, and to consolidate and recategorize them into topics (kicking game, plays from scrimmage, contact etc.) is a great one. I still think there's room for improvement. For example, there's no special topic for the passing game. Also, there are still some errors (about 9 or 10 by my count--mostly in the case plays) and several others places where statements are not incorrect but are definitely misleading and might result in confusion. The addition of "Rationale" and "In Simple Terms" and "Did you know..." sidebars is a nice touch.
I am buying a few books today, and was curious. Thank you.
Old Fri Jun 09, 2006, 07:48pm
Official Forum Member

grantsrc: Thanks.

BigJWalt: I would generally agree with BobM's assessment. I haven't read through the entire book yet, but aside from some of the errors, the intent of the book is good. I would like to see some more of the "rationale" sidebars, although what is there is good.

I will be able to offer a better assessment after I finish the book and I get my rulebook (hopefully on its way soon!) to confirm the rule references.