View Single Post
Old Wed Jun 07, 2006, 10:17pm
Official Forum Member

Question New "Rules by topic" reference

Just curious as to what others think about the format of this new reference book.
I'm not through the entire book yet but I wanted to run this caseplay by and get reaction:

Page 76, 5.2.2 Situation A: With fourth and 5 from B's 30, A1 throws a forward pass that is intercepted by B1 on his 10-yard line and returned to B's 35. While the pass was in flight, ineligible A2 was illegally downfield, and the ball: (a) touched, or (b) did not touch A2 prior to the touching and interception by B1. RULING: In (a) and (b), B could accept the 5-yard penalty for ineligible downfield. B likely will decline the penalty and keep the ball first and 10 from its own 35-yard line. It is not illegal touching in (a) as A2 did not catch, touch, muff or bat the pass.

My first question: Ineligible A2 is illegally downfield. Therefore any "touching" by A2 of a forward pass beyond the neutral zone and untouched by B in or behind the neutral zone should be offensive pass interference. Correct?

A second question on a different play: A1's pass is touched by B1 behind the neutral zone and the pass continues in flight beyond the neutral zone. A2 is downfield and blocks B2 prior to the touching of the pass. If B touches the forward pass behind the neutral zone does this then cancel any offensive pass interference by A during the play, regardless of when the pass interference occurred in relation to the touching by B?