The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 07, 2006, 02:30am
Official Forum Member

Most people on this board seem to agree that our "Referee Gods" that called the game did a good job officiating. (They're in the NFL for cryin' out loud... they CAN'T make a bad call!) But as you read this post, think what would happen if you were the covering official. Would YOU have flagged the holding?

I do agree with the OPI in the endzone negating the TD, but I'm not sure how often that gets called compared to how often it happens. Again, would you have made the call? I don't think that gets called as often as it should, and the SB is not the time to start. As far as the Hasselbeck block, that's literally gotta be the worst call I've ever seen. I mean, that's worse than any call I've ever made myself! (And I wear glasses!)

Bottom line: I think there were questionable calls on both sides. It just happened that they hurt Seattle a little more than they did Pittsburgh.
Old Tue Feb 07, 2006, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hooper
Quote:
Originally posted by cmathews
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
The only question now is "Which ones will be reprimanded for the worst officiating in Super Bowl History?"

(You gotta admit....)
the fans and the commentators.....(you gotta admit)...they don't usually know much about the actual rules and philosophies.....
So you're saying those officials made absolutely no mistakes? They were perfect in this game? (Perhaps you didn't actually see the game?)
well I have actually looked pretty closely at my post, and I don't see anywhere that says they were absolutely perfect... I did indeed see the game...and I can think of one call that was one I cannot agree with, the block below the waist on Hassleback....but this crew overall did a very good job...without looking at your address are you from the pacific northwest??? LOL
(Not from Pacific Northwest or a Seahawks a fan, if that's what you're saying. Go Dolphins!)

Seriously, you think this crew did a good job? I guess we have different standards then.

Do you think the official made the right call on Sean Locklear's holding penalty in the fourth quarter, negating an 18-yard reception to the one-yard line by Jerramy Stevens?
I haven't had the opportunity to study the film, tomorrow at a meeting I will...but on the surface I didn't disagree with either of the calls above...the OPI possibly but at full speed it appeared worse than it did in slow motion
Old Tue Feb 07, 2006, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Ok I have had the opportunity to look at the film in slow motion over and over and over...I whole heartedly support the holding and the OPI, no doubt in my mind. The Big Ben TD, inconclusive evidence to overturn whichever call had been made in my opinion...Great Big Kudos to the boys, the hold and OPI were made at full speed, not the slow mo we get to see, and they nailed em....congrats boys, for a job pretty darned well done.
Old Tue Feb 07, 2006, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Ok I have had the opportunity to look at the film in slow motion over and over and over...I whole heartedly support the holding and the OPI, no doubt in my mind. The Big Ben TD, inconclusive evidence to overturn whichever call had been made in my opinion...Great Big Kudos to the boys, the hold and OPI were made at full speed, not the slow mo we get to see, and they nailed em....congrats boys, for a job pretty darned well done.
What's that... ah... march of the yes men.

We'll agree to disagree.
Old Tue Feb 07, 2006, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:

We'll agree to disagree.
you obviously no nothing about me which is not surprising since we have never met...I am as far from a yes man as it gets...with that said, evidently we will agree to disagree, as is the case most of the time with fanboys...
Old Tue Feb 07, 2006, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

We'll agree to disagree.
you obviously no nothing about me which is not surprising since we have never met...I am as far from a yes man as it gets...with that said, evidently we will agree to disagree, as is the case most of the time with fanboys...
"fanboys" - that clearly shows you know nothing about me either. The rest of the officials in the country and I will continue to take an honest look at a game that had many, many errors in it. You can look away if you like.

The actual problem here is not about who won the SuperBowl or how it was officiated, the issue is what changes need to be made to make the officials more accurate. Perhaps camera angles from above the field for replays. Perhaps full-time officials who are paid full-time wages. Perhaps additional officials on the field. Or off-field officials always reviewing the replays. Or rules changes/clarifications. Now THAT'S an interesting discussion to have!

[Edited by hooper on Feb 7th, 2006 at 01:30 PM]
Old Tue Feb 07, 2006, 02:12pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

"fanboys" - that clearly shows you know nothing about me either. The rest of the officials in the country and I will continue to take an honest look at a game that had many, many errors in it. You can look away if you like.

The actual problem here is not about who won the SuperBowl or how it was officiated, the issue is what changes need to be made to make the officials more accurate. Perhaps camera angles from above the field for replays. Perhaps full-time officials who are paid full-time wages. Perhaps additional officials on the field. Or off-field officials always reviewing the replays. Or rules changes/clarifications. Now THAT'S an interesting discussion to have!
You mentioned full-time officials being a possibility. I have also seen this talked about by many media members and no one gives an explanation as to how this is supposed to work.

How is making officials "full-time" going to change anything? There are only so many games an official can work. All crews only work one game a week. The NFL is not like the MLB or the NBA where there are multiple games in a week. NFL officials already spend all week reviewing tapes, going over evaluations and talking to each other before they meet up on the weekend for crew meetings. How are you going to make officials spend more time working at a sport that is only weekly? I am not sure how that is going to make officiating better?

Peace
Old Tue Feb 07, 2006, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

Well, for one thing it will get rid of the distractions of the officials other "real" jobs. That alone will make a difference. On top of that, they'll have more time to watch film, attend clinics, and meet to discuss issues.

This full-time arrangement will also draw in people who might not otherwise have the time, money, or desire to officiate. Perhaps younger people will see this as a career track and there will be more competition for the spots currently filled by the elders. Competition for jobs is a good thing.

I also think the full-time nature of the job would make officials take their positions more seriously (not that they don't do that now.) But the full-time paycheck is a strong motivator.

Just a couple thoughts....

Old Tue Feb 07, 2006, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Well, for one thing it will get rid of the distractions of the officials other "real" jobs. That alone will make a difference. On top of that, they'll have more time to watch film, attend clinics, and meet to discuss issues.

This full-time arrangement will also draw in people who might not otherwise have the time, money, or desire to officiate. Perhaps younger people will see this as a career track and there will be more competition for the spots currently filled by the elders. Competition for jobs is a good thing.

I also think the full-time nature of the job would make officials take their positions more seriously (not that they don't do that now.) But the full-time paycheck is a strong motivator.

Just a couple thoughts....

on any full week of competition in the NFL there are 16 games available...7 officials per crew 112 officials active on any one weekend. I know there is at least one crew each week with the week off, so now 119 officials...not sure about alternates etc.. say 150 jobs available in the NFL. I doubt we are going to see any young folks right out of high school training to be 1 of 150 people in the whole country who will make it to the NFL. As for making the officials more accurate, I saw 1 call that I don't know what the official was thinking, the block below the waist on Hassleback. 1 call that either way it is called on the field it will be upheld with video replay, the Big Ben TD. The rest of the calls are pretty accurate, so I am not sure that is really an issue....
Old Tue Feb 07, 2006, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

Are you denying that officiating has been a problem in the NFL? If so, then I'm not sure what you can add to this discussion.

The average age of an NFL official is nearly 52. The oldest official is 65. Anyone see a problem? I'm not suggesting that mere high school graduates be put on the field in the NFL, but if graduates believe that officiating is a legitimate full-time profession where they can make some money, you can bet that they'll start officiating at pee wee games, and junior high games, and high school games, which could eventually lead to a larger pool of better qualified, young NFL officials (who might be able to keep up with the game a little better.)

Old Tue Feb 07, 2006, 04:11pm
M.A.S.H.

Good point JRut.
Old Tue Feb 07, 2006, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Are you denying that officiating has been a problem in the NFL? If so, then I'm not sure what you can add to this discussion.

The average age of an NFL official is nearly 52. The oldest official is 65. Anyone see a problem? I'm not suggesting that mere high school graduates be put on the field in the NFL, but if graduates believe that officiating is a legitimate full-time profession where they can make some money, you can bet that they'll start officiating at pee wee games, and junior high games, and high school games, which could eventually lead to a larger pool of better qualified, young NFL officials (who might be able to keep up with the game a little better.)

Any official who thinks there is no room for improvement is fooling themselves. Since you haven't been around long on this forum, I will let you in on a secret that we have many times discussed the fact that we need younger officials. People that initially get into officiating for the money are not typically people that make the best officials, yes there are exceptions. We have all talked about the guy that is just here for the money. Where I take exception is in the fact that the officiating is horrible. Yes there is always room to improve. There is no shortage of qualified young officials for the NFL, there is a shortage of qualified young officials for High School games. The NFL is constantly training, evaluating and bringing up qualified officials. As for keeping up with the play, I think the Super Bowl group did a great job, on a 75 yd run by one of the fastest guys in the league an official was on the 2 yd line when Parker crossed the goal line...pretty damned good if you ask me...I think the real problem lies in the media. The fact that commentators and sportscasters can sit down and disect a play from a multitude of angles at superslow motion is going to lead to some discussion. The fact that a majority of the time the commentators and or sportscasters either don't know the rules or the philosophy of how those rules are applied at different levels and in different conferences leads those discussions into an area that is certainly not one of their expertise. As long as humans officiate the games there will be judgement calls, as long as humans play the games there will be a need for officials. No one in the world feels worse if a call is missed than the guy who missed it. Not many officials miss the same call 2 times, so in the overall scheme of things I am certainly satisfied with the officiating of the Super Bowl, I only hope that someday I could work that "part time" job.....
Old Tue Feb 07, 2006, 04:44pm
Official Forum Member

Hooper - exactly which calls do you think were so bad that officiating needs to be revamped?

I admit that as I was watching the game the first time, there were 4 calls I didn't like. However, now that I've had the opportunity to see these calls again, in slomo, from various angles, the ONLY one I didn't like was the no-catch/fumble on Stephens, which WAS reviewable by Walrusman - he just didn't choose to do so. The BBW on Hasselbeck was bad, but possibly not technically an incorrect call (I believe replays are inconclusive on whether he contacted the blocker) - just one I think I'd prefer not to see on a player trying to make a tackle.

Big Ben was in the EZ.

The OPI (push-off) in the endzone was correct.

The non-fumble by Ben was, after review, correct.

The catch at the pylon was out.

The hold WAS a hold (see the pictures in the other thread).

The only other thing the officials screwed up was that they did not figure out a way to let Seattle have better clock management at the end of both halves.

One might note that Pittsburgh was faced with many more "controversial" and possibly inaccurate calls 2 weeks ago than Seattle was in the Bowl - and Pitt found a way to overcome them.
Old Tue Feb 07, 2006, 04:49pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to grantsrc
I have always scratched my head when fans, coaches, and members of the media call for "full-time" officials. I don't get it. How is possible that this could be a full-time career? The season lasts 5 months (Aug-Dec) with a month for the playoffs. The remaining months they are working out, doing rules study, attending meetings and camps, all while maintaining a family and other career.

And why does the current system need to be changed? They make mistakes, we all do. Did they make a bunch of mistakes in the Super Bowl? I personally don't think so. I think all of the calls made were solid, and would love to see video of the IBBW because I thought he contacted another member of the defense in an effort to make the tackle. If so, good call. But these guys are all physically fit. Some may not appear like it, but the NFL does extensive testing of personal fitness before the season. I venture to bet that some of the officials are healthier than some of the linemen. Heck, one of the deep side officials kept up with the running back on the long TD run. Granted the official had a little head start but he did way better than any of us could do I bet.

As for NFL officials, being younger does not equal being a higher caliber official. IMHO, I think to be a quality official in the NFL you should be a little older. With chronological age come immeasurable experience and maturity. Sure, there are a lot of quality younger officials out there. But some of these guys don't have the emotional maturity or personal experience necessary for the job.

And for those of you that question how much time and effort the league and its officials do, I encourage you to watch the Officials Review segments from the NFL network (there is a link on my site listed in my signature). These guys dissect almost every play each weekend. The officials grade and critique each call. They watch film and read over the rule books each week. Yes, it is demanding but it's part of the job.

These guys do their job with remarkable accuracy. Way more accuracy than many of us do ours.
Old Tue Feb 07, 2006, 04:57pm
Official Forum Member

Hey, it's been a couple of years since we heard the "full-time officials will solve everything" song.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.