The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 17, 2006, 01:37am
Official Forum Member

I've recently just learned (Thanks to this board) that you don't throw a flag for pass interference until the play is over. So what other proper mechanics are gone over in the clinics that aren't covered in the books? I won't have an opportunity to attend a clinic until next year, so I would like to get some insight for this season.
Also, I was once told that I shouldn't back-pedal. Is that true also?
I always see it done by the NFL and college, so I can't figure out why it wouldn't be correct.
Old Fri Feb 17, 2006, 08:21am
Official Forum Member

Just where did you read that (on this forum) about not flagging PI until the play is over?

I've never seen nor heard anything about not doing back-pedling. If doing so causes you to be beaten to the goal line than by all means, don't do it or at least go to a local field to work on it.
I can't think of a downfield college guy I know that does not use the back-pedal during a game. Sure there will be times you have to switch to a side step motion, but for the most part, back-pedal is the common move.
Old Fri Feb 17, 2006, 08:46am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to grantsrc
I have to go with Theisey on both these points.

Why wouldn't you want to backpedal? Did they say they want you running and looking over your shoulder? Can't really see the advantage in that. At times you really act like a defensive back, know just the right time to open your hips and turn to run.

One mistake I made a few years ago was not throwing the flag for offensive PI when the defense intercepted the ball. I figured, like in basketball, there really was no advantage gained by the offense since B still intercepted it. Boy was I wrong and the coach let me know it. If you have a foul, flag it at the time it happens. In my example, throw the flag, let the play continue, then let B decline the penalty and take the ball.
Old Fri Feb 17, 2006, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

I agree, if you have PI, throw the flag. Waiting will get your butt chewed quick. It makes you look like you had to think. Then, as mentioned, if it is picked, then you throw it, you deserve to get your butt chewed.

As far as back peddling, I don't do it. I am not saying it is wrong, I just don't feel comfortable in doing it. I run with my hips open when needed in my wing position.

On plays coming toward me on the side, I generally move backwards to allow the flow to go ahead of me and rely on the BJ come toward the play to observe. I then trail the flow to grab spot and clean up as the BJ comes and observe any dead ball activity.

I see a lot of wings, me as one as a younger official try to out run the flow. Nothing is being accomplished from this. I have found my position to be at a better view and to judge better as well.

As a BJ, I will back peddal when needed just to put more space but then turn.
Old Fri Feb 17, 2006, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

Don’t let statements about the flag being thrown late for the OPI in the SB confuse you. The BJ reacted just as he has been trained. He saw the foul. He reviewed the play in his mind. He reacted to what he saw and got it correct.
The issue is the time it took for the flag to come out of his pocket, verses when the play ended. Generally on plays like this the flag is always going to hit the ground after the play is dead.
If you have pass interference, you should take about 1 second to review the play in your mind before you throw the flag. Don’t wait until the play is over, after the receiver catches the pass and runs 30 yards, to throw a flag for PI. That is really a late flag.
Old Fri Feb 17, 2006, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

yea, you should ask yourself, was that PI or not. I agree, the SB comment, that flag was a little late due to the official having trouble getting it out on the first attempt. Or he may have even grabbed his bean bag. Anyway, he was grabbing and it took time.
Old Fri Feb 17, 2006, 07:41pm
Official Forum Member

I didn't start this one to complain about that call. I was just told on that post that you don't throw a flag for PI until the play was over. As far as back pedaling, I did it in a game and got ragged at halftime for it. Then on the field the WH shows me how I should look over my shoulder instead. I just don't see anythin wrong with it when the play just starts or if it's coming in your direciton.
Old Fri Feb 17, 2006, 10:22pm
Official Forum Member

>>was just told on that post that you don't throw a flag >>for PI until the play was over. As far as back pedaling, >>I did it in a game and got ragged at halftime for it. >>Then on the field the WH shows me how I should look over >>my shoulder instead. I just don't see anythin wrong with >>it when the play just starts or if it's coming in your >>direciton.

__________________________________________________ ______

You must be a new official or work in a location where there is no organized instruction.

You have been given erroneous information.

On PI, you thorw the flag when you see the foul. The delayed flag in the SB was because the BJ couldn't get the flag out of his waistband.

There is nothing wrong with backpedaling, if you can do it without falling down. I don't so it often becasue it is not confortable for me. Sometimes I have a hard enough time running forwards. The R referenced above sounds like he's either new or not well trained.

Old Fri Feb 17, 2006, 11:05pm
Official Forum Member

Here's the thread I'm referring to. All I'm asking is what some other mechanics are there that are not covered in the books? Please don't misunderstand me, I didn't start this one to complain about the timing of the flag in the SB.

http://www.officialforum.com/thread/24844
Old Sat Feb 18, 2006, 05:30pm
Official Forum Member

We teach our new back judges to start deep enough (18-20 yards) so that they are comfortable with everything in front of them. Read the play and move accordingly to the action in fron of you. KEEP the play in front of you. If this can be done backpedalling, fine. If not, turn and run with the play but work to keep it in front of you.

As far as not throwing the flag on PI until the play is over, you're only asking for trouble. Again, keep the play in front of you, read the action around the receivers that you are responsible for, take enough time to be comffortable with what you saw and then throw the flag. If it's a mental debate with yourself, then you probably don't have a foul
Old Sun Feb 19, 2006, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

I think Bob M. is correct. You need to see it, determine if it had an effect on the play then call it. I think Bob even has a published article about this mechanic. He didn't say wait until the PI was over he said make sure it's relevant to the play.
Old Mon Feb 20, 2006, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

REPLY: schmitty...if you send me an e-mail with your internet e-mail address, I'll send you a copy (MS-Word attachment) of the article. It was published by the NFHS Officials Quarterly in the Fall of 2004. It goes over a framework for determining when (and if) to throw your flag.

grantsrc...you don't have this one on your site, do you?
Old Mon Feb 20, 2006, 05:49pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to grantsrc
Bob,
If you sent it to me, it is posted. Click the link below for my site. I think this is the file you're referring to:
http://home.comcast.net/~minnmo/foot...-NewFormat.doc

BTW, Bob, if you put together anything else in the near future, please send it my direction and I will post it. The quality of your work is second to none.
Thanks.
Old Tue Feb 21, 2006, 06:05am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
nothing wrong in backpeddling. In fact for a BJ the very first step after the snap is back. Not many reason to backpeddle, especially on a wing as you should be on the sidelines anyways to start. A couple steps back if needed is not really backpeddling.

Even stppeing into the backfieled on a sweep is really not a backpeddle

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Tue Feb 21, 2006, 07:24am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob M.
REPLY: schmitty...if you send me an e-mail with your internet e-mail address, I'll send you a copy (MS-Word attachment) of the article. It was published by the NFHS Officials Quarterly in the Fall of 2004. It goes over a framework for determining when (and if) to throw your flag.

grantsrc...you don't have this one on your site, do you?
Bob,

It's posted here.

http://www.njfoa-north.org/masucci1.pdf