The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 20, 2006, 04:48pm
tpaul

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob M.
REPLY: Here's how I would reword NF 6-5-4 if it were up to me (it isn't!!). Mind you, it reflects how I believe the rule is to be interpreted, so some might disagree with the wording for that reason.

6-5-4:
"ART... 4 The captain may choose to free kick or snap anywhere between the inbounds lines on the yard line through the spot of the catch when a fair catch is made or through the spot of interference, when a fair catch is awarded. These choices remain if:
(a) a dead ball foul occurs prior to the down
(b) the penalty for a foul (other than non-player or unsportsmanlike) that occurs during the down is accepted and the foul does not include the loss of the right to replay the down
(c) an inadvertent whistle occurs during the down and the down is replayed."
Bob,
phrasing it like that makes much more sense and is clear cut to the topics we have been talking about! So, I would agree with your wording!
Old Fri Jan 20, 2006, 05:27pm
Official Forum Member

FAX it to Indy. They are meeting as we speak.

BTY; I cave! Actually I was enlightened by another, like my crew chief. My head is no longer shaped like a pig!
Old Fri Jan 20, 2006, 05:33pm
tpaul

Quote:
Originally posted by Theisey
FAX it to Indy. They are meeting as we speak.

BTY; I cave! Actually I was enlightened by another, like my crew chief. My head is no longer shaped like a pig!
LOL....
Old Sat Jan 21, 2006, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob M.
REPLY: Here's how I would reword NF 6-5-4 if it were up to me (it isn't!!). Mind you, it reflects how I believe the rule is to be interpreted, so some might disagree with the wording for that reason.

6-5-4:
"ART... 4 The captain may choose to free kick or snap anywhere between the inbounds lines on the yard line through the spot of the catch when a fair catch is made or through the spot of interference, when a fair catch is awarded. These choices remain if:
(a) a dead ball foul occurs prior to the down
(b) the penalty for a foul (other than non-player or unsportsmanlike) that occurs during the down is accepted and the foul does not include the loss of the right to replay the down
(c) an inadvertent whistle occurs during the down and the down is replayed."
That is a change I would support. The rule as written is too vague and there are not enough case plays to fully illustrate the NF’s intent. You have to quote two other rules and several definitions to even come to a conclusion and then some one will quote two other rules and accepted interpretations to come to another conclusion. With your verbiage, I can at very least understand the intentions by reading the rule!

I stated earlier that in my opinion A should forfeit its option if they commit any foul. This option is used so infrequently that I also hate to eliminate the possibility of it happening occasionally and this is a good compromise. As you said in 27 years you have never seen it occur. I have worked 34 years and have only seen it once in a game I was working and there was no foul involved in that one.

You stated: “if it were up to me (it isn't!!)”. You are correct, the chance of an individual changing a rule that has not been looked at or changed in who knows how long, is almost nil. But what if you submit the change in NJ, I submit the change in AL, someone in FL, GA, MI, OH, ….

I do believe there is power in numbers, especially when it comes from all over the country. I will submit the change through AL. Let’s see where it goes!

I also think there should be more case plays to better illustrate the NF intensions.

[Edited by dumbref on Jan 21st, 2006 at 01:08 PM]