Thread: Options??
View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 11, 2006, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Suudy
Quote:
Originally posted by Theisey
I agree that the penalty for illegal forward pass includes a loss of down. But that new rule doesn't kick in unless this is the last timed down of the game.

LOD has no significance since the line to gain has been reached after enforcement of the penalty. That's why I don't see any difference in this other play variation.
Two differences:
1. The LOD prevents A from choosing the free-kick option.
2. Since it is a loose-ball play, isn't the basic spot the previous spot? (I'm not clear on this part. What is the enforcement?)

My point in bringing up this scenario was to show that A loses its choice of a free-kick, since it is not the same down.
Taking second things first, an illegal forward pass beyond the line of scrimmage ("lateral forward") is a running play, not a loose ball play. Enforce from the spot of the foul.

First things second, in the play presented (Fair Catch at the 50, subsequent running play, foul by A at the 5) A would not be given the opportunity to choose to free kick from the 15 because a new series is awarded following enforcement. The down is not replayed. Had the foul been committed at the 31, enforcement would have left A in posession short of the line to gain and the down would be replayed. From there they would get to choose to free kick if they so desired.