The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 31, 2005, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

Greets fellow polyester proprieters....

Interesting situation arose Friday night. Glad it wasn't me who had to deal with it....

When on offense, Home Team A is having their QB go over to the sideline between every play to get the new play from the coach. We have seen this many times...no problem here.

However, beginning in the 2nd quarter, Visiting Team B, when on Defense is sending a player over to stand right next to them in front of the Home team bench to listen in on the play call.

Home coach says its illegal...visiting coach says its not...referees are caught in the middle...total anarchy during the game, cats and dogs sleeping together, etc.

Whaddya do? Got rule?
UE
Old Mon Oct 31, 2005, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

Any of the 11 B players may be anywhere on the field, ie between the sidelines and endlines, as long as they get on their side of the neutral zone prior to the snap. There is no rule that says he can't stand there. Most officials probably won't let him do that if he is across the neutral zone but there is nothing they can do if he is on his side of the neutral zone. And after an official tells him to not be over there then there is a rule to cover that.

9-5-1g USC Refusing to comply with an officialÂ’s request.

So when you really think about it there is nothing to keep B from going over next to A's huddle either. I guess it is just a gentlemen's agreement that if you don't do it then I won't do it either.
Old Mon Oct 31, 2005, 04:38pm
Official Forum Member

2-8
Encroachment occurs when a player is illegally in the neutral zone during the time interval starting when the ball is ready for play and until the ball is snapped.

Isn't the intent of this rule to prevent the defense from crossing the NZ while the offense is in their huddle?

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Oct 31, 2005, 04:41pm
Official Forum Member

I think Enchroachment covers this situation. However, if A is taking plays from B's side of the ball after the ready, they could get nailed as well. Pretty interesting gamesmenship.
Old Mon Oct 31, 2005, 04:49pm
Official Forum Member

What a childish situation. I think the NFHS rulebook has a sort of "god" clause, stating the referee can take proper action to prevent the game from becoming a travesty. I'd go either the encroachment route or the "god" clause.

Childish, childish, childish....even for coaches.
Old Mon Oct 31, 2005, 06:49pm
Official Forum Member

sorry guys, i failed to mention that the Team B player was on his side of the ball. While and interesting point, encroachment was not possible in this situation.

I do however, like the all inclusive rule of the Referee being able to rule on things not specifically covered.

Personally, I thought it was a pretty CS thing to do. But the R was at a loss on what to do.

Just thought I would get your thoughts....hehe
Old Mon Oct 31, 2005, 07:00pm
Official Forum Member

If the LOS is at the 25 yd line or less, then the QB has to be on the other side of the neutral zone to get the play from the coach. If the LOS is above the 25 yd line, then B might have to go across the neutral zone to listen. I'd go with encroachment at the first chance. In other situations I might ignore it or warn, but due to the intent of B, I'd do the encroachment call the first chance.
Old Mon Oct 31, 2005, 07:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
If you're going to call encroachment on B if they cross the neutral zone are you making the same call on A if they cross to get the play? I'm not saying you shouldn't call it on B but you can't tell them to stay on their side and then let the QB cross to get the play.
Old Mon Oct 31, 2005, 07:35pm
Official Forum Member

encroachment starts on the rfp for b and for a after the center makes final adjustment.
Old Mon Oct 31, 2005, 07:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by waltjp
If you're going to call encroachment on B if they cross the neutral zone are you making the same call on A if they cross to get the play? I'm not saying you shouldn't call it on B but you can't tell them to stay on their side and then let the QB cross to get the play.
I'm in this camp.
Old Mon Oct 31, 2005, 11:11pm
Official Forum Member

That's actually pretty funny, I must admit.
Old Tue Nov 01, 2005, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

If both players are on their side of the ball, there isn't encroachment. Perfecly legal for B to be where he is as long he is on his side of the ball, and perfectly legal for A to be where he is if he is on his side of the ball. If A coach complains, maybe he should move his player farther away from the B player. R could have had both coaches get together for a little conference, so the silliness would stop.
Old Tue Nov 01, 2005, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

Common sense should prevail. When a player, coach, or team fails to show some common sense, it falls to the officials. When a team fails to show common courtesy, the officials must step up.

As another example, other than courtesy, nothing specificly prevents one team from joining the other team's authorized conference on a sideline.

Unsportsmanlike conduct includes but is not limited to....

If a coach complains and asks what rule he is violating, tell him he is violating the golden rule.

Old Tue Nov 01, 2005, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

I would have no problem with this at all. If a coach wants to have his QB come over for instructions on every play, that's his decision. He gets no special "zone of privacy" by doing this and as long as B is on his side of the line, why would I not let let him?

What if A had their huddle very close to the line of scrimmage and the A coach complained that B was listening? Would you make B move farther away?

If coach A wants a conference before every play I suggest he figure out a code.
Old Tue Nov 01, 2005, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

Finally some sense. We, as officials, have no business jumping in to this. If the player is on his side of the line, he can do as he pleases. We are not the courtesy police.