Old Wed Nov 02, 2005, 10:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by l3will
Quote:
Originally posted by parepat
Quote:
Originally posted by mcrowder
parepat - you can block anyone, anywhere, anytime... UNLESS it's prohibited by a rule. Blocking, tackling, etc are LEGAL, unless prohibited by a rule.

The rule listed above tells you what you can't do to a receiving team member WHILE THE BALL IS IN FLIGHT. When the ball is no longer in flight, normal rules apply.
What rule are you talking about. I don't see any rule that deals with fair catch that limits action "while the ball is in flight".
You need to start with Rule 2-4... 1 and 2... A catch is the act of establishing player possession of a live ball which is in flight....

Then rule 2-9-1 A fair catch is a catch by a receiver of a free kick ....

Then just to contrast... look at rule 2-34 ... A recovery is gaining possession of a live ball after it strikes the ground...

So once the ball touches the ground, R can no longer make a
"catch", so protection ends... since he can no longer make a fair catch. R can only recover, but since R made a fair catch signal... R can no longer advance.... rule 6-5-5 ...
No receiver may advance the ball after a valid or invalid fair-catch signal has been given by any member of the receiving team.

Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Just because he can't make a fair catch doesn't mean his protection ends. You can quote as many inapplicable rules as you want, it doesn't change the facts. As I said there is no rule that tells us when the protection ends. There is no case book play that tells us when the protection ends. There is a rule however, (6-5-1) that tells us that the (fair catcher-new word) can't block until the kick has ended. So we know that in exchange for fair catch protection, the fair catcher is restricted. If we are going to read into the rules (which I am not) it is far more sensible that his protection would be equal to his restriction (ie protection until the kick ends... not until the kick hits the ground).

Otherwise we are back to this situation

Fair catcher (FC) gives a valid fair catch signal but does not catch the ball. One microsecond after the ball hits the gound, FC is hit so hard that his head pops off and roles to a stop at the feet of the backjudge. The hit is other wise legal in all respects.

ANSWER; according to some... legal play.

I respectfully disagree.
Old Thu Nov 03, 2005, 09:09am
Official Forum Member

parepat - the original play was concerning a free kick. So if the kick has gone ten yards and been grounded, then K has just as much right to possess the ball as R. How long are you going to protect R?

I also agree that on a scrimmage kick, you are not going to let K blast the person who signalled a microsecond after it touches the ground.

Does R's protection end after R muffs the ball on a scrimmage kick?
Old Thu Nov 03, 2005, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by l3will
parepat - the original play was concerning a free kick. So if the kick has gone ten yards and been grounded, then K has just as much right to possess the ball as R. How long are you going to protect R?

I also agree that on a scrimmage kick, you are not going to let K blast the person who signalled a microsecond after it touches the ground.

Does R's protection end after R muffs the ball on a scrimmage kick?
I agree with you that it is a much tougher sell on a free kick. However, my point is, and has been, that there is nothing in the rules that tells us when the protection ends. Also, there is certainly nothing in the rules that differentiates protection between a free and scrimmage kick.

I wonder if the NCAA more clearly defines the duration of the protection on a fair catch.
Old Fri Nov 04, 2005, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

REPLY: parepat...you're correct that nothing in the Federation rules explicitly says when the receiver's protection ends. Conversely, the NCAA rules do say that the protection ends when the kick touches the ground.

I believe that's the way it intended to be interpreted in Federation code as well. If not, wouldn't the receivers have a distinct unfair advantage in pursuing a kick that either team could legally possess, i.e. a free kick beyond R's restraining line or a scrimmage kick that has been touched by R beyond the NZ?

I believe that this is the reason that R's protection ends when a fair catch is no longer possible. Just my opinion.
Old Fri Nov 04, 2005, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

I was kidding about the definition of a "ball-in-flight". But, the fair catch calling R is afforded protection only while the ball is in the air. (dont over complicate the rule) Once the ball hits the ground, protection for him ends. But, he cannot get involved in the play since the FC signal nullifies his involvement. And since the ball has traveled at least ten yards in the air and hit the ground, it is a grounded ball which can be recovered by K and R.
Old Fri Nov 04, 2005, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

For a free kick, this discussion is pretty theoretical since no one will have the time to keep watching a player who signals but does not catch the free kick. The mechanics are there for a scrimmage kick, but for a free kick that can be recovered by K you best be watching to see who ends up with the ball.

Old Fri Nov 04, 2005, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by booker227
I was kidding about the definition of a "ball-in-flight". But, the fair catch calling R is afforded protection only while the ball is in the air. (dont over complicate the rule) Once the ball hits the ground, protection for him ends. But, he cannot get involved in the play since the FC signal nullifies his involvement. And since the ball has traveled at least ten yards in the air and hit the ground, it is a grounded ball which can be recovered by K and R.
By involvement, you mean he can't block anyone until the kick ends. But he sure can try to get the ball.