The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 22, 2005, 03:41pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to kraine27 Send a message via MSN to kraine27 Send a message via Yahoo to kraine27
In NFHS is it legal for a wide receiver to leave directly from his spot in the formation or move in motion toward the offensive line and block a linebacker? Most of you may know this as a crack back block.
Old Thu Sep 22, 2005, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

If it is a legal block (above waist) I see nothing wrong
Old Thu Sep 22, 2005, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member

....and in the front or side of defensive player.
Old Thu Sep 22, 2005, 04:25pm
Official Forum Member

Coaches watch these blocks like a hawk, because they see teams on film getting away with it. The hope is the linebacker will follow the play but turn to face the wideout, making the block legal. That doesn't always happen. Otherwise, like they said previously: above the waist and side or front.
Old Fri Sep 23, 2005, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

I had a play last night (Tex/NCAA) where an outside receiver, but a back, went downfield, then came back toward the center of the LOS and blocked a pursuing defender below the waist. At the time, I couldn't put it together, so I didn't flag it.

Glad I didn't, because when I got home and studied the rule, the restriction is for a LINEMAN. This was a legal play.
Old Fri Sep 23, 2005, 09:21pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Lightbulb Canadian Ruling

Quote:
Originally posted by kraine27
In NFHS is it legal for a wide receiver to leave directly from his spot in the formation or move in motion toward the offensive line and block a linebacker? Most of you may know this as a crack back block.
A block is a CBB if it:

• is below the waist

• behind 5 yards ahead of the LS

• committed by an A player who was >=3 yards from the tackle anytime before the snap

• committed by an A player going towards the ball when it was snapped

• It's illegal, 15 yards and a UR.
    Old Sat Sep 24, 2005, 01:57am
    Official Forum Member

Quote:
    Originally posted by Texas Aggie
    I had a play last night (Tex/NCAA) where an outside receiver, but a back, went downfield, then came back toward the center of the LOS and blocked a pursuing defender below the waist. At the time, I couldn't put it together, so I didn't flag it.

Glad I didn't, because when I got home and studied the rule, the restriction is for a LINEMAN. This was a legal play.
    Wow I'm suprised that's legal. What are the NCAA rules on BBW and in the back?
    Old Sat Sep 24, 2005, 03:07am
    Official Forum Member

Quote:
    Originally posted by Texas Aggie

Can you explain this differently? Sounds like a textbook crackback to me!
    Old Mon Sep 26, 2005, 01:00pm
    Official Forum Member

Aggie you missed it

Texas Aggie
    Backs positioned outside the frame of the normal tackle position are also restricted from blocking back towards the original position of the ball, either behind the neutral zone or within 10 yards beyond the neutral zone. You don't mention in your post how far downfield he was..
    Old Mon Sep 26, 2005, 02:47pm
    Official Forum Member

There is nothing more exciting on a wing than to witness a classic crackback which de-cleats the LB.

A3 sweeps to the left with the ball, your WO takes a step forward then turns toward the middle of the field and slowly picks up a head of steam. OLB is scraping just a few yards back from the LOS running towards your sideline with both eyes on A3 as he mirrors him, dreaming about the big lick he'll be laying on him in a few more yards.

Just as A3 clears the inward blocking TE and turns downfield, OLB grits his teeth to take out A3 but WAIT!!!! WO is locked and loaded on OLB and rips him right out of his cleats - both benches and stands let out a mournful or exhilarating howl depending upon which team you're rooting for - allowing A3 to gain 35yds before the Safety can catch him.

Man I love this time of year...

WM

P.S. "Coach, you got a player down."
    Old Mon Sep 26, 2005, 03:14pm
    Official Forum Member

Never mind. I was incorrect and missed it. For some reason, I misread the second exception.

I have it down now.
    Old Mon Sep 26, 2005, 08:01pm
    Official Forum Member

Quote:
    Originally posted by kraine27
    I never use the term "crack back" as there is no such term in the rule book (NFHS). It only leads to misinformation and misinterpretation.