The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 13, 2005, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

These are the first 10 questions to the Part II test in Georgia for certified and approved officials. This is my first year taking this test, as it's only my third year officiating and I have previously taken the registered test. I have listed the questions, and then followed with my answers. Please, if you think I'm wrong... tell me... I'm trying to learn.

The following questions relate to Diagram #1 (which is a punt, you really don't need the diagram to answer the questions). This is a punt by K, with the ball being snapped from Ks 15 yard line, with the kicker standing at Ks three yard line.

1. Number exclusions allow K44 to participate as a lineman and K52 to participate as a back. As such, K52 is an eligible pass receiver. True

2. R61 beats K44 quickly to the outside at the snap. The ball is in the hands in the punter (12 yards behind the center). K44 may block R61 in the back in the free blocking zone as he passes because they were both on the line of scrimmage at the snap. False

3. On a short but high kick, R15 signals for a fair catch well beyond the neutral zone and muffs the ball off his shoulder pad a Ks 20 yard line. The ball rolls into the end zone where it is recovered by K. This is a touchback. False (I initially read the question wrong and answered true).

4. R15 blocks K24 below the waise during the return of the scrimmage kick after change of possession. This penalty will be enforced under PSK. False

5. After the RFP until the snap, K24 remains outside the nine yard field marker. This is an illegal formation. True

6. After the RFP signal until the snap R10 remains outside the nine yard field marker. This is illegal. False

7. After Coach R determines K is going to punt he quickly and successfully substitutes R37 for R12. He suddenly changes his mind and replaces R37 with R12 prior to the snap. This is legal. True

8. K punts on THIRD down. It is a high but short kick, hitting the ground five yards beyong the neutral zone, rebounding behind the neutral zone. K44 attempts to recover but muffs the ball out of bounds at Ks 11 yard line. It is now first and ten for R at Ks 11 yard line. True

9. R12 and R15 both signal for a fair catch. The ball sails over the head of R12 and is bounding at the 50 yard line, after which R15 decides to block K24. R12 falls on the ball. This is an illegal block and should be enforcedby PSK enforcement. True

10. A fair catch of this scrimmage kick may be made by ANY R player including linemen, in or beyond the neutral zone to Rs goal line. True

I will probably add the rest of the questions as time permits.
Old Tue Sep 13, 2005, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

how did you like the test. i liked the idea, but it is not what i studied for. it is very different from past tests.

michael
mgfoa
Old Tue Sep 13, 2005, 12:40pm
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
#3 is TRUE, the force is still the kick so as soon as the ball BREAKS the plane of the goal line it is a Touchback.
(unless they are saying it goes back across the LOS and into Ks endzone)

#7 is FLASE, 3.7.3 Sitch C

[Edited by w_sohl on Sep 13th, 2005 at 01:42 PM]
Old Tue Sep 13, 2005, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

re

1. False 52 is not eligible unless B touches the ball.
3. True all punts entering R's endzone are Touchbacks
7. false a replaced player cannot reenter during the same play.
10. false Fair catch has to be beyond the neutral zone
Old Tue Sep 13, 2005, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

Re: re

Quote:
Originally posted by jcoopv
3. True all punts entering R's endzone are Touchbacks
7. false a replaced player cannot reenter during the same play.
10. false Fair catch has to be beyond the neutral zone
1) It's a scrimmage kick. The numbering exception applies, correct?

3) That's the way I read it initially as well. But I believe they're saying that the ball bounced off the receiver at the K20 and went into Ks endzone. At which point, the ball is still live. It's poorly written. I agree, if it was to go into Rs endzone, this would be a touchback. A kick is a kick...

7) OK, so I kicked that one. I thought that only applied to K.

10) I don't have my rulebook in front of me, but maybe I have freekick and scrimmage kick screwed up here. I thought that on a free kick a fair catch could be called only beyond the NZ, while on a scrimmage kick it was in or beyond... was I srong?

michael, as I said earlier this was my first time taking the approved test so I wasn't certain on what to expect. I thought some of the questions were worded badly, but that's to be expected.
Old Tue Sep 13, 2005, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

re again

1. The number exception does apply but it only applies to allow playes numbered 1-49 or 80-99 to be counted as one of the 5 linemen, but it does not allow for numbers 50-79 to become elligible receivers.

3. I kicked this one. It is a safety.

10. you do have the free kicks and scrimmage kicks reversed on that one.

Look forward to the next 10. LOL
Old Tue Sep 13, 2005, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

3. I kicked this one. It is a safety.
I don't think you did. It is a touchback.

8-5-3 It is a touchback when:
b. Any scrimmage kick or free kick becomes dead on or behind K's goal line with the ball in possesion of K (including when the ball is declared dead with no player in possesion) and the new force is R's muff or bat of the kick after it has touched the ground.

Old Tue Sep 13, 2005, 03:37pm
Official Forum Member

re again part ii

3. But you cannot add a new force to a kick in flight by muffing or batting, Rule 2-13-3. Therefore K has recovered a kick that K was responsible for putting in the endzone, thus a safety.
Old Tue Sep 13, 2005, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

I see where you're coming from, but what would you have if you took this same play except K recovers it on the K1? It would be 1st and 10 for K at the 1, right (since it was first touched by R beyond the expanded neutral zone: 5-1-3f)?

So why does it cost K two points by recovering it just 1 yard deeper?
Old Tue Sep 13, 2005, 04:18pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: re

Quote:
Originally posted by SouthGARef
Quote:
1) It's a scrimmage kick. The numbering exception applies, correct?
It doesn't matter. #52 is not an eligible number. It makes no difference where he lines up.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Sep 13, 2005, 09:51pm
I drank what?

Re: re again part ii

Quote:
3. But you cannot add a new force to a kick in flight by muffing or batting, Rule 2-13-3. Therefore K has recovered a kick that K was responsible for putting in the endzone, thus a safety.
I think you are wrong here...

since R first touched the ball, if K recovers in its own endzone it would be a touchback if play is stopped in said endzone.
Old Wed Sep 14, 2005, 01:04am
Official Forum Member

jcoopv is correct in his ruling of a safety.

Casebook 8.5.1 Situation C: A scrimmage kick by K1 from his own endzone is muffed in flight beyond the neutral zone by R1 and rebounds into the end zone where it is recovered by K2. The ball becomes dead in the end zone when K2 is tackled there. Ruling: This is a safety because teh force which put the ball into the end zone was still the kick by K1. R will be awarded 2 points and K will free kick from K's 20-yard line.

I hope this never happens to me! I wouldn't feel right awarding R two points for not being able to catch the ball. I'd say a coach or 2 is going to go ballistic on this one, also.

Out of curiousity, what is the NCAA ruling on this one?
Old Wed Sep 14, 2005, 07:40am
Official Forum Member

NCAA

Patton,

The ruling is the same in NCAA, as per AR 6-3-V, on page FI-25, it results in a safety.

Old Wed Sep 14, 2005, 08:53am
I drank what?

Hell, on a short punt like that you are better off to muff the ball as long as it gets into and stays in the endzone. You'll either get six points or two points and the ball.
Old Wed Sep 14, 2005, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

just the answers

here are what I have for the answers. I look forward in dicussing them if yall care to.

2005 Approved and Certified Part II

1 F 51 F
2 F 52 T
3 F 53 F
4 F 54 T
5 T 55 T
6 F 56 T
7 F 57 T
8 T 58 F
9 T 59 T
10 F 60 F
11 F 61 F