The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 17, 2009, 07:38pm
Official Forum Member

I make up my own game cards and on the back I have the names of our crew to introduce and I have my list of questions to ask the coach. I have no problem doing this. The object is to get it right. And when I have it out, it's just a continuation of the front of the card where I write down the captains' numbers as the coach gives them to me. I also have a business size card with our association, crew names and contact info so coaches can give us feedback.
Old Mon Aug 17, 2009, 09:41pm
Official Forum Member

Our association has just the R and U meet the coaches as well. The other three officials all have other things to be doing, and ideally by the time the R and U are done with the coaches, we're done with our duties, and we all get together to get the game information we need.
Old Wed Aug 19, 2009, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Interesting. Don't you think it is beneficial for the wing on the coaches sideline to be part of the meeting? And, why have the umpire along. Doesn't he have other things to do as well?
Old Wed Aug 19, 2009, 12:30pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeRef View Post
Once again the referees trying to hog the spotlight and leave the real workhorses on the crew out in the dark.
You must be kidding, right?

Do other position people really feel that being the WH is an *easy* job? I had two guys on the crew like that -- I solved that perception by putting them in the R position during JV games and watching them struggle from a wing or the BJ position.

While I'm primarily a WH these days, I pride myself in being able to competently work any of the 5-man positions at any time. And I have at the varsity level.

Last edited by Rich; Wed Aug 19, 2009 at 12:37pm.
Old Wed Aug 19, 2009, 12:34pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parepat View Post
Interesting. Don't you think it is beneficial for the wing on the coaches sideline to be part of the meeting? And, why have the umpire along. Doesn't he have other things to do as well?
Well, then maybe we should meet with all the coaches, not just the head coach?

The umpire needs to hear if he needs to check any players' equipment. And the R needs *someone* along as a second set of ears.

The back judge can meet with the timer and the wings can check the chains and meet with their ball boys.

This has nothing to do with the white hat wanting to hog the spotlight or keeping the rest of the crew out. It's using the time as best as possible and keeping the meeting with the head coach short and sweet.
Old Wed Aug 19, 2009, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

I think Buckeye was just busting onions.

In my opinion the most important relationship (for lack of a better term) is that between the wing and the coach on his sideline. The way they interact can make you or break you. My question was whether the two talk prior to the game if not in the pre game conference?
Old Wed Aug 19, 2009, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

In my association, we introduce ourselves to the coaches before we bring the captains out for the coin toss (ideally), or while we're clearing the sidelines for the kickoff (less so).
Old Wed Aug 19, 2009, 09:44pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parepat View Post
I think Buckeye was just busting onions.

In my opinion the most important relationship (for lack of a better term) is that between the wing and the coach on his sideline. The way they interact can make you or break you. My question was whether the two talk prior to the game if not in the pre game conference?
Our wings talk to their coaches before the game starts.
Old Thu Aug 20, 2009, 07:56am
Official Forum Member

My crew has been together a long time and our varsity schedule is typicially 11 games from the same 15 schools. We know all the head coaches and most of the assistant coaches, and very often we know the visitors too. Some coaches some of us know professionally or socially as well. So all six of us come on the field about 45 minutes before the game and say hello. If we don't know a head coach, all of us will introduce ourselves. Sometimes it's just the U and I who have the meeting with the head coach, sometimes one or more of the other officials will be there. It depends whom they're talking to at the time. The meeting with the coach covers all the important stuff, but it's pretty informal.
Old Sun Aug 23, 2009, 07:03am
Official Forum Member

PENALTY ENFORCEMENT
NFHS:
The all-but-one principle applies. All fouls are penalized from the basic spot, except a foul by the offense behind the spot. Loose-ball plays include the snap, kicks, legal passes or fumbles in or behind the neutral zone and includes the run(s) which precede such legal or illegal kick, legal forward pass, backward pass or fumble. The basic spot for loose-ball plays is the previous spot. The basic spot for running plays is the end of the run.
Only roughing the passer, snapper, or kicker /holder plus defensive pass interference include an automatic first down.
The following fouls have special enforcement provisions and options for the offended team: free kick out-of-bounds; kick-catching interference); unfair acts; roughing the passer; and fouls on scoring plays.
When unsportsmanlike or dead-ball personal fouls by both teams are reported to the referee, they are enforced in the order of their occurrence. If the order cannot be determined, the fouls cancel.
Live-ball fouls on touchdown or successful field goal plays may be enforced on the try or succeeding kickoff provided they occur after any change of possession. Live-ball fouls enforced as dead-ball fouls and dead-ball fouls must be enforced on the try.
NCAA:
Old Sun Aug 23, 2009, 09:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Our wings talk to their coaches before the game starts.
Normally, the R & U are the only officials who meet with the Head Coach to address the pre-game questions. During that discussion the respective wing officials will be pointed out to the HC and identified, and the Referee may (usually does) specify that the identified wing officials will relay information regarding penalties to the HC, suggesting that depending where the penalty was and who made the call, getting the details may take a moment, or even a play or two.

Each wing official, prior to the opening kickoff will subsequently directly introduce himself to the HC, and verify the Referee's indication that he will report penalty information, as soon as practical, and verify if the HC wants that detail delivered to him, or a member of his staff.

The general idea is to have the initial contact between the HC and wing official a positive one, offering assistance during the game. Of course, how effectively the wing official delivers on that offer goes a long way in keeping the relationship positive.
Old Sun Aug 23, 2009, 09:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
Normally, the R & U are the only officials who meet with the Head Coach to address the pre-game questions. During that discussion the respective wing officials will be pointed out to the HC and identified, and the Referee may (usually does) specify that the identified wing officials will relay information regarding penalties to the HC, suggesting that depending where the penalty was and who made the call, getting the details may take a moment, or even a play or two.

Each wing official, prior to the opening kickoff will subsequently directly introduce himself to the HC, and verify the Referee's indication that he will report penalty information, as soon as practical, and verify if the HC wants that detail delivered to him, or a member of his staff.

The general idea is to have the initial contact between the HC and wing official a positive one, offering assistance during the game. Of course, how effectively the wing official delivers on that offer goes a long way in keeping the relationship positive.
Well said...and that's how my wings handle it, as well.
Old Mon Aug 24, 2009, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

So...we don't want to bother the head coach 45 minutes before the game, but we will stop him on the eve of the kickoff while he has ten thousand things going on and try to have a conversation with him. This is my criticism with just the U and R meeting w the HC. But, if it works for you.....
Old Mon Aug 24, 2009, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

As someone working his first WH assignments this year, would anyone be kind enough to post a copy of their cheatsheet I can work off of for NFHS rules?

Last edited by VALJ; Mon Aug 24, 2009 at 01:14pm.
Old Fri Oct 09, 2009, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

Pregame?

I ask my LJ and HL to meet with me when I meet their sidelines respective coach.

They have the first 15-30 seconds, introduce theirself, let coach know they'll be working that sideline, they talk about sideline control, ball boys, and time-outs, then they get on their merry way and we can continue our pregame with the other things I like to cover.